God's Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2015, 02:33 PM
God's Morality
Neither Jesus nor the apostle Paul, nor any other Biblical figure is recorded as having made any statement in opposition to the institution of slavery. Slavery was very much a part of life in Palestine and in the rest of the Roman Empire during old and New Testament times. (See examples below).
Leviticus 25:44-46 “However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. 17 “
Numbers? 31: 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Why would a God of love endorse treating people as chattel (Leviticus 25:44-46) and promoting the use of women as sex slaves (Numbers 31:17) .
How can sex, which has so many taboos, rules and restrictions in the New Testament, be given such free reign in the Old Testament? It appears that here, God and the Israelites place a high premium on capturing young virgin slaves, Presumably for the purpose of deflowering them (see verse above). And God, far from condemning this practice, actually is the one who orchestrates it. Is this the act of a holy god?
Does morality apply to God at all?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2015, 04:02 PM
RE: God's Morality
(17-02-2015 02:33 PM)ronb2c Wrote:  Neither Jesus nor the apostle Paul, nor any other Biblical figure is recorded as having made any statement in opposition to the institution of slavery.

Why would they?

Jesus hardly spoke out about any of the oppressive practices of his time. He was silent on the question of Roman oppression. While he invited himself to dinner with Zacchaeus the chief tax collector, he had nothing to say about his scheming practices itself. Zacchaeus’s offer to give half of his possessions to the poor, to pay back those who he defrauded four times over, was of his own volition, and not by any direct mandate of Jesus.

When Jesus speaks of the Roman Angarian law, which allowed Roman soldiers to force an occupied inhabitant to carry their supplies for no more than up to a mile, he didn’t protest the oppressiveness of it, but claimed that we should go an extra mile.

When He came to face the cross, he spoke nothing of the injustice of it. Provided no defense to the brutal and humiliating failure of a death that awaited him. He volunteeringly took it upon himself, subverting the very symbol of Roman defeat.

None of this will likely fit into some enlightenment inspired scheme of the world, not particularly and is not particularly malleable to reason, nor does it fit into a world where all that’s wrong with it is just a series of actions. It’s a vision of a world, in which what’s wrong with the a slave owner, is not that he owns slaves, but a illness of the heart, an inability to see the man he brutalizes as his own brother.
18-02-2015, 04:52 PM
(17-02-2015 02:33 PM)ronb2c Wrote:  Does morality apply to God at all?

When I started to learn more about the horrific laws and punishments of God that I read in the bible, I realized some asshole made this God up to feel validated in being a murderous, greedy, racist, power hungry and just plain o'l wicked human being, like Ganges Khan (sp?) or Hitler... or maybe it was a tribe of men.
18-02-2015, 05:01 PM
(17-02-2015 04:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why would they?

Jesus hardly spoke out about any of the oppressive practices of his time. He was silent on the question of Roman oppression. While he invited himself to dinner with Zacchaeus the chief tax collector, he had nothing to say about his scheming practices itself. Zacchaeus’s offer to give half of his possessions to the poor, to pay back those who he defrauded four times over, was of his own volition, and not by any direct mandate of Jesus.

When Jesus speaks of the Roman Angarian law, which allowed Roman soldiers to force an occupied inhabitant to carry their supplies for no more than up to a mile, he didn’t protest the oppressiveness of it, but claimed that we should go an extra mile.

When He came to face the cross, he spoke nothing of the injustice of it. Provided no defense to the brutal and humiliating failure of a death that awaited him. He volunteeringly took it upon himself, subverting the very symbol of Roman defeat.

None of this will likely fit into some enlightenment inspired scheme of the world, not particularly and is not particularly malleable to reason, nor does it fit into a world where all that’s wrong with it is just a series of actions. It’s a vision of a world, in which what’s wrong with the a slave owner, is not that he owns slaves, but a illness of the heart, an inability to see the man he brutalizes as his own brother.

In summary, that's just they way it was; with no thought to how it should have been given that the trinity is supposed to have been the supreme definer of morality. Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
19-02-2015, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2015 03:42 PM by TwoCultSurvivor.)
I'm actually having a discussion about this very subject with someone on another forum. This person is convinced that a proper understanding of Biblical slavery would reveal that it is morally acceptable by today's standards. I keep asking for that proper understanding, but the stalling has gotten unbearable.

Click here if you're interested in following the conversation. The forum is closed to new members.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
19-02-2015, 03:52 PM
I.....don't think so!