God's Not Dead?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2015, 07:05 AM
RE: God's Not Dead?
(04-04-2015 06:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 11:21 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Kevin Sorbo almost makes Kirk Cameron's acting look good.

Almost.

But seriously, if Lucy Lawless turns out to be a religious nutter, my childhood will be ruined.

[Image: lucy-lucy-lawless-2740514-528-672.jpg]

Good news: she's not.

[Image: yes.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-04-2015, 02:16 AM
Richard Dawkins is not dead...yet.
09-04-2015, 05:04 AM
Hating god makes you an angry christian, not an atheist.

Wish the boy would have debated an atheist.
[+] 6 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
11-07-2015, 09:53 PM
I watched this movie when I was still religious. I was having deep doubts at the time, but I was still committed.

I went to see it with some friends over spring break.

I haven't ever cringed as much as I have watching that film. It's just so shamelessly stupid.

What I remember hating the most about the film, other than the main character's "defeat" of the professor's assertion that "god is dead" is the Muslim girl. She supposedly is wearing a hijab, with part of it covering the bottom of her face (like a niqab). She's also wearing skin-tight jeans. Like...have these people ever met a Muslim woman who wears a scarf? It's about modesty all over the body, not just covering the hair.

At the end, the vast majority of the theater cheered and clapped. Give me a break.

By the end of watching, my brain had turned to soup.

I will give it this, though. It's a very interesting look into the conservative Evangelical mindset. As someone who does not come from that sub-culture (but lives very close to people who do), I found it fascinating.

It reminds me of that documentary "Jesus Camp" (also on Netflix).
[+] 3 users Like FreeThinker1994's post
11-07-2015, 09:54 PM
(09-04-2015 05:04 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Hating god makes you an angry christian, not an atheist.

Wish the boy would have debated an atheist.

YES. I agree. Absolutely.
12-07-2015, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2015 08:08 AM by WalkingSnake.)
I've been wanting to write an "everything that's wrong with God's Not Dead" for a while. I guess this thread is as good as any.

Everything that's wrong with "God's Not Dead"
(I know I've missed some, but a lot has already been said. Hell, a lot of the following has already been said)
  • Something that was taken off the dvd, but was actually there in the theater. I know because I watched "TBR's" review. Apparently when the movie starts, and shows the production logos, there's a logo animation for "WS" that straight up rips off the WB opening. What the actual fuck?
  • Persecution complex is loaded in this movie. To the point where it's just laughable and in the genre of fantasy.
  • No way, Joss Whedon is involved in this? No way, Will Wheaton is involved in this? No, no. The main character's name is Josh Wheaton. What trickery were they trying to pull here. Maybe it's nothing. Or maybe they're being douchebags.
  • Professor Radisson. Again with the names. Really? And Radisson might actually be a real last name. So, sorry for those whose name is Radisson. But I find the name choice here peculiar. Something a little "ratty" about this.
  • Things that never happen: an atheist going into a crowded room (in the movie I'm gonna say it was something like maybe 80 students, maybe 100?) and just go, "Well, as you all know, there's no God. So let's move on." Even in the 21st century, there's no way. Christians, you motherfuckers are still #1. America's your world. That is some bullshit. "Oh, yeah, everybody knows God's not real right? Yeah, we're atheists. Wait... do mine eyes deceive me? Is that a Christian? Hahahahahaha!"
  • Uh, did anyone else catch the Descartes slip? Okay, Radisson opens the class by writing on the board a list philosophers. "They're all atheists." And he goes through his bullshit of write down on the paper, "God is dead." Fast forward a bit through Josh's and Radisson's conversation. Then Radisson gives the rest of the class their homework assignment. "Read Descartes" Descartes?! Wait, wait, wait. You just told us in some smug ass manner that "God is dead", then you want us to read a philosopher who actually claims to prove God is real? Do you know anything about crap your teaching? What the actual shit?
  • Josh. Just. Don't you just want to kick him in the face? I mean... God dammit... I don't even know what it is. There's nice people. Heck, Josh reminds me of a more extreme version of me. That nice naive guy that sometimes doesn't get the joke. I get that. But this is ridiculous. This movie takes that character to unbelievable levels.
  • Missing dialogue - Josh: "Hey, I'm signing up for Prof. Radisson's philosophy class." Registrar Assistant: "You sure?" Josh: "Yeah, why? Does he hate Christians?" Registrar Assistant: "No. He's just a really bad professor. Doesn't know the subject for which he's supposed to be teaching. His career is hanging by a thread. I overheard some of the professors saying they don't even know how he got the job in the first place."
  • Muslims? Just what the hell is this movie even about? Oh, oh, oh rightrightrightrightrightright right! It's not just that God's not dead, but more specifically the Christian God. That Allah bullshit is bullshit. Just... so ya know.
  • "But there are some flat earthers out there who still consider the existence of a supreme deity..." some? Some?! Seriously what year does this movie take place? Are there flying cars at this point? Does this movie take place on that Mars colony we've set up?
  • Radisson... he's representing us in this film... he's the worst goddamn atheist I've ever seen. He does not counter when he should counter. How many times did you just want to raise your hand and say, "hey, Prof.? Can I take this? I'd like to take a crack at it. Especially if it means I don't have to read Descartes." But you can't, because it's a movie.
  • I've seen (we've all seen) atheist vs theist debates on just the morality issue last for hour and a half to 2 hours, with no one coming out going, "well, I've changed my views." In this movie the morality debate lasts about 5 minutes, wherein the Christian owns, no "pwns" the atheist. Yeah, that happens.
  • "There's no atheists in foxholes." Oh, yeah, they had to slip that shit in here somehow. Atheist gets hit by a car and he's dying, and he finds Jesus. Oh. Oh man. That's just... adorable.
  • Yes, the movie is fiction. And they've heard the complaints about how this could never happen in real life. So what do they do? In the credits they list (and it's a big list) cases that resemble the fictional movie we just saw. Let's disregard the fact that this movie is based on some stupid chain maill (sometimes the Josh character is a big marine who punches the atheist, or it's fuckin Einstein. EINSTEIN!). Does anyone see the same problem I did at this point? Why didn't they actually take one of those real cases and do a movie about it? I'll tell you why (and this is just a theory, I can't confirm it): if they had done this movie based on an actual event, they might actually feel obligated to show more color in this movie. To actually consider both sides. The movie might still be biased, sure. But it wouldn't be so black n white. But if it's a fictional story, they have free reign. The Christian can be as good as they want, and the atheist... well, let's just be glad they didn't make him a serial rapist.
  • That leads me to the last two points. This movie being so two dimensional. Why this movie was made? Well, for one thing as I pointed out, it's to deal with the persecution that Christians think they're getting. That's why Josh is such an over the top nice guy and Radisson is evil on supervillain proportions. They think Hollywood has been out to get them. You constantly hear them complain about how they make priests the villains in the movies.
  • But it's not only Christians' persecution complex that is why this movie was made. Sure that's most of it. But I'm dealing with how it was made so 2 dimensional. Think back if you've ever heard a pastor or other Christians get on a movie rant about how the bad guys seem like good guys and the good guys seem like bad guys. Yeah, I know you've heard that rant before. Well, this movie is for those idiots. Where the good guy is all good, and the bad guy is all bad. "No, Mr. Wheaton. I expect you to die." Goldfinger Radisson

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
12-07-2015, 08:01 AM
As I said before. Would have been nice if he had debated an atheist, not an angry christian.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
12-07-2015, 08:16 AM
(12-07-2015 08:01 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  As I said before. Would have been nice if he had debated an atheist, not an angry christian.

Yeah, I know that. We all know that here. But that's not how Christians see atheists.

And no it's not how all Christians are. But there's a running stereotype (and I know, because - sorry to say - I used to buy into it), that there aren't really any atheists. We just all hate God. We got handed a bad deal and blame God for it. We think Christians are all judgmental assholes, and our atheism is just a militant revolution against the good nice people of God. But deep down, way down, we just... we know God is real. Yeah.

Dodgy Facepalm

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
12-07-2015, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2015 03:17 PM by CleverUsername.)
You guys are amazing. I get extremely angry just reading posts here about the movie, the fact that you actually watch the thing is just...wow. You are a brave bunch of masochists.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
12-07-2015, 03:09 PM
(12-07-2015 03:06 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  You guys are amazing. I get extremely angry just reading posts here about the movie, the fact that you actually watch the thing is just...wow. You are a brave bunch of sadists.

Wouldn't that make us masochists...Consider

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post