God's Not Dead 2 (trailer reaction)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 09:47 AM
*I know full well that this might get moved to the entertainment forum. But subject matter of the film made think it's better off here*

I really didn't think it would happen. I thought it was a rumor. But it's here. The sequel to a movie you didn't think there could be a worse movie than.

And is that...? Yeah, Melissa Joan Hart! No way! On a side note, if you're a scifi movie nerd like me, you may be watching this coming up with a movie in-universe theory. My obvious one is that Sabrina the Teenage Witch, repented from witchcraft and grew up and became a born again Christian. Anyway, trailer:

My first reaction is, well it'd be nice to see a Christian version of "Anchorman". But of course it's not meant to be funny, it's serious. The over-the-top, ridiculous drama you find in an Adam McKay comedy seems present in "God's Not Dead 2". But no, they're really fuckin serious here.

The thing is, yes, "God's Not Dead" was a terrible movie. But if they could have left it there it would be fine. I remember criticizing the first movie saying, "This is not how atheists act." And a Christian friend of mine actually made a good point and said, "No, that's just the few atheists in this fictional movie." Yeah, good point (doesn't make things better but it is what it is).

Now we've got a sequel though. And where you could maybe write the first movie off as an isolated incident as well as it being fictional, this second movie - though also fictional (I hope, for Pure Flix's sake) - is much bigger and obligates itself to represent a bigger group. I mean where the first movie took place at some college campus, and maybe... MAYBE... you could say that it's possible for an atheist professor to walk into a classroom of about a hundred students and say "well, as you all know, there's no God, so let's move on," and only get one student to resist him... ah, goddammit, that movie... I can't even... I just wrote down that premise and I feel like smashing my fingers with a hammer now. But okay, whatever. Suspend your belief and say that the premise of the first film... could happen.

This next film though? We got a court case that's being followed nationwide. The implication from the trailer is something that looks bigger than the OJ trial.

Just... you know 20 years ago, I was a Christian, and if I had seen this movie I'd be like, "Yeah! God's not dead! Christianity for the win! You go, Sabrina! Yeah!" And I think that's the value of this film. It's not made for atheists, even though atheists are represented in the film (poorly it seems). We'll watch this film, criticize it, laugh at it, and Christians will just shrug, roll their eyes, and say, "Well, of course, you hate the movie."

There's one way, and only one way that I will not view this movie as complete shit. If they have a stone cold atheist in this film, who is also a nice and charitable humanitarian, and he/she stands up for religious freedom, and (here's the major catch) even by the end of the film (I mean the credits roll and lights come up), not once does the atheist character waver in his/her nonbelief in God. Because 10 bucks says that the atheists in this film are either evil (and I mean supervillain, Bond badguy evil), or if they show any ounce of goodness it'll be because they're struggling with religion and by the end of the film they'll convert to Christianity. This movie wants to prove that wrong? Oh, man please do. Put my cynicism in its place. Make me go, "Oh, so the people at Pure Flix aren't complete douchebags after all. Was that a pig flying I just saw?"

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like WalkingSnake's post
06-11-2015, 09:53 AM
RE: God's Not Dead 2 (trailer reaction)
The Trailer for God’s Not Dead 2 is Full of Fake Christian Persecution Drinking Beverage

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
06-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Oh for fuck's sake Facepalm

Another movie for my in-laws to rant and rave about in their world of constant christian "persecution."

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
06-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Looks like a parody to me.

Is John Cleese in it?

Blink

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
06-11-2015, 11:01 AM
I literally can't watch this. Barely made it trough first 30 seconds.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
06-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Oh my Gwynnies! I laughed so hard I about had a seizure. That's some epic satire. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-11-2015, 11:40 AM
The lead played a witch. Let that sink in.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
06-11-2015, 11:42 AM
(06-11-2015 11:40 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  The lead played a witch. Let that sink in.

Maybe she was stoned?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
06-11-2015, 11:44 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

gaddammit!!

I freakin...man the first movie nearly made my stomach churn. More of this crap? The premise and representation of non-Christian culture is so ridiculous and skewed. TBH, I haven't watched the trailer because I want to wait until I am at home, but I can already imagine that vomit inducing script and scenario.

And Sabrina, my teenage witch?? C'mon Melissa, you can do better.

Let's watch better movies...like Jesus Camp (which is also enough to make you sick, but at least it is grounded in truth), and Teeth. Tongue Interestingly enough I watched those two movies for the first time back-to-back.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-11-2015, 11:46 AM
(06-11-2015 11:42 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 11:40 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  The lead played a witch. Let that sink in.

Maybe she was stoned?

The people who wrote this movie were stoned.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post