God's Not Dead 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2016, 03:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2016 04:56 AM by Shai Hulud.)
RE: God's Not Dead 2
I have returned from the Wastelan---I mean theater. For some reason they had off duty cops guarding the screening of the movie, as if they expected the plot to come to life and have ruthless atheist protesters descend upon the movie. Anyhow, before I begin, I give this as a foretaste of the rest of the review...the last time alcohol passed my lips was at a conference three years ago, so November of 2013; I don't enjoy the taste, so it's not exactly tempting to me. That said, I came up with that date while watching the movie and considering thoroughly if I wanted to go out real quick to grab a drink from the theater's bar. Ended up staying...spoilers ahead.

We begin with the God's Not Dead past time of showing us the "Dear goodness how many main characters are there" shots. We do get some returning characters; Amy the liberal blogger turned believer who is now struggling in faith after a miraculous cure to her cancer (not once do we thank the doctors, it's implied to be a miracle); Pastor Dave, who in true fashion to the first film, is having a perpetual worst day ever; Pastor Jude who just happened to have gotten permission from his church to move from Africa to finish his PhD nearby (we discover this as he informs Pastor Dave that he's moving in, surprise Pastor Dave!); and Martin, the Chinese student from the first film who had the infamous phone talk with his dad where he was speaking Cantonese and his father was speaking Mandarin.

Next we start meeting our new people. A career driven couple with a daughter they've raised to be a "freethinker" and they lost their son in an accident. Grace Wesley (Melissa Joan Hart), who cares for her grandfather who is 82...come on GND2, come on...Grace as a first name and then her surname founds Methodism?

Anyhow, Brooke, the girl who lost her brother, has just suffered a lecture from her uncaring atheist parents about how she needs to "get over" her brother's death if she wants to get into an Ivy League school. No one seems to care about her except for her history teacher, Grace, who asks if she's okay. She later finds Grace at a coffee place, and tells her the truth about how she misses her brother and her parents have moved on. They talk a bit, and the girl asks her teacher how she has it all together, to which the teacher replies "Jesus". A bit after this, the Salvation Army comes for Brooke's brother's stuff and she listlessly watches as they carry it all to the truck until she goes to sit on the mattress, feeling lost (I have no clue why the mattress isn't being donated here), when miraculously the Salvation Army supervisor of the improbable larger number of workers getting the donation, comes back with her brother's Bible that she never knew he had. The supervisor gives it to her, saying she saw it and thought Brooke might want to keep it. It's heavily marked up and has little post its at key verses, etc.

Switch to the classroom, where Grace is discussing MLK's teachings on nonviolence at their school; Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. High School (the name is actually a "plot" point later). Brooke, now having read parts of the Bible, asks if it's similar to Jesus's teachings on non-violence. Grace quotes the Bible in response...this is the crux of the entire "legal case" against her later. She has quite literally done NOTHING WRONG in doing so, a student posed a valid question regarding the teachings of nonviolence that MLK espoused being related to those of Christ, and Grace responds that yes, that's what the Bible as a book, says Jesus said. She doesn't proselytize at all, she's operating within the law. One student makes a joke that Jesus ended up dying though, to which Grace quips "So did Dr. King. I'd rather never have to face that sort of test on my convictions."

Brooke's parents are horrified and file a complaint that she was trying to indoctrinate their "freethinker raised daughter" with religion. Grace ends up in front of a discpilinary committee and refuses to say she did anything wrong, they dismiss her and her lawyer, and scheme on how to get rid of Grace without losing money or public face. The school board's lawyer says to let the ACLU do it and that the ACLU wouldn't name the school board as a co-defendant, that they had somehow already been in contact and they just wanted Grace Wesley to make an example. So Grace is put on unpaid leave and given a public defender as the ACLU brings suit and the school board says to let the courts decide her fate.

The ACLU's head lawyer for the case meets with Brooke's parents, convincing them that this case will easily help Brooke get into any Ivy League School, when they mention she was at the heart of a Constitutional landmark case against religion, and that surely there would be scholarships...her parents sign on for the suit, despite Brooke insisting her teacher did nothing wrong. Meanwhile, Pastor Dave ends up with Jury duty, and Brooke's friend Marlene calls her aunt, Amy (the blogger who had a cancer miracle). Amy decides the case is interesting to her...btw on the cancer, this movie is set mere months after the first one, she went from stage iv, doctor telling her she would be dead in weeks, to full remission.

We begin the trial, or rather jury selection, and as a prof of criminal justice, I use both terms loosely, because what follows is only tangentially like what an elementary school kid imagines a trial looks like. They throw out the term "voire dire" to try and show they did the research, then completely do the process wrong. Voire Dire is the jury selection process, basically we want to weed out people with biases for some reason or another, and you have different types of challenge you can issue. The one that's most limited is the peremptory challenge; both sides used peremptory challenges like they were handing out candy at a parade. The peremptory challenge lets you dismiss a juror without explaining why. They do this so often they end up at Pastor Dave...who they challenge for cause. A challenge for cause is issued when you have a specific reason to believe a juror can't be fair due to an existing bias, like I don't know, you've got a woman on trial for preaching supposedly, and said potential juror is a Minister. They say that he can't be challenged for cause because all the peremptory challenges were used up, as if they're one and the same, and so Pastor Dave is our final juror. We choose an alternate who is a girl who is dressed very punk.

Basically from this point onward, if it involves the trial, assume that it's not reflective of an actual courtroom. Period. Martin, the Chinese student from the first film, has his communist yet businessman father appear in his dorm room unexpectedly to yell at him for becoming a Christian. He tells Martin he is a disgrace to the family and that he has come to bring Martin home to China. Martin refuses to deny Christ, so his father hits him and then declares that he's turned his back on the family and that he is being disowned, that his father no longer has a son, as the father walks tearfully away. if this seems familiar, it's because in the first GND, we see the Muslim girl of Arab descent beaten and disowned by her father; GND as a franchise seems incapable of making a film without a heavily racial stereotyped convert being beaten and disowned by their parents, only to later have a white person remind them that it's all okay, because, Jesus. Brooke goes to the church to ask someone for help, only to find Martin there playing the piano sorrowfully and singing How Great Thou Art; he leads her to Christ.

In the meantime, Pastor Dave is at a meeting of pastors. THe car rental guy from film one shows back up as the waiter and they talk about how he's still doing dinner theater and now waiting tables on the side. Thanks GND, of all the people to bring back, really wanted to know what happened to him. At this point the waiter asks about the pastor's car and is told "Oh, I got a Prius, starts every time". I counted 3 more Prius comment product placements after this, not mentioning Amy, our formerly liberal blogger drives a bright green Prius everywhere. In this meeting, the pastors are told a subpoena is coming for their sermon transcripts from the last three months. (Interestingly, this is based on a real case out of Houston and is NOT one of the ones they overinflate at the end, but that case ended up thrown out.) Pastor Dave refuses and writes a letter to that effect, giving it to the person in charge of collecting the transcripts and is threatened by said person.

He goes back to the court only to have his appendix burst, so the alternate juror, punk girl is sworn in. We start the witnesses. Grace's union rep says she's always bringing religion into the workplace and then can't cite one example. Her principal says Grace invited her to church once during work hours (in support of several students getting an award for community service); she also tries to claim MLK never espoused religion in his nonviolence, leading to readings from some speeches and letters...hence the "plot" related nature of the name, that it didn't include his Reverend title in it and was a form of de-Christianizing Dr. King. Another faculty member tells about how Grace takes donations for Convoy for Hope, a Christian charity during classtime. (I get it Grace, I do. I donate to an anti-human trafficking organization, but given it's religious nature, I don't tell my kids "bring in money" for it. Partially because I don't want legal troubles like this one.) Grace and her lawyer decide on a new strategy over Chinese food that night, prove Jesus is a historical figure and therefore quoting Him in history class isn't wrong. They call in a list of cameos and product placements from Lee Strobel of "Case for Christ" to some guy who wrote a book called "Cold Case Christianity". It's looking good over in the jury until Brooke testifies in her teacher's defense against her parents' wishes...and then totally tells everyone how they had talked about Jesus outside of class too. Kane (seriously, as I think about this, does that make Melissa Joan Hart, Abel? Know it's not spelled correctly, but still), seizes on this and actually lays a completely plausible point: If Brooke hadn't had the talk with Grace at the coffee shop that ended in Jesus, then she wouldn't have accepted the Bible of her brother's from the Salvation Army, she never would have asked the Jesus question to Grace in class, and she never would have become a Christian and the entire case would have never happened. Kane makes a lot of good points really, for being an even more moustache twirling villain the Kevin Sorbo's character in the first film. The jury seems angry now, thinking Grace and her lawyer lied, all hope seems lost. Grace is told by her lawyer to prepare to lose everything.

Brooke, feeling horrible, arranges a candlelit vigil outside Grace's house to sing How Great Thou Art. The next day comes and her lawyer enters the courtroom late and better dressed than ever before, calling her to the stand and asking the court to treat her as a hostile witness. He forces her to admit things under oath that she had told him in confidence (seriously this film just gives zero f***s about anything like attorney-client privilege or realism in court) in order to make the jury hate him, and hate the ACLU, whose case he seems to be making. He makes her cry on the stand and he rants and raves that this is just the first step to silencing all Christians, to fine them, to jail them, to make them renounce their faith if they want to work in the public sector, etc.

At the Newsboys concert, Michael Tate is lifting his phone and addressing the audience, saying Amy's on it asking for prayers for Grace, so the Newsboys lead the audience in a prayer for Grace. They then proceed to sing their new song about when did it become illegal to say your name in school, etc. The pro-Grace Christian protesters outside the court remain quiet and dignified and prayerful, while the "atheist" and "Freethinker" protesters act like a horde of rabid and barely restrained animals opposite them, spewing forth hate like a firehose sends water into a flaming building. The jury comes back to deliver their verdict that Grace did nothing wrong, and Brooke runs out to tell everyone "God is not dead!" as a way to somehow symbolize the case was won. Grace's attorney apologizes to her, saying it had been his secret strategy after the jury got angry at them, to make them angry at everyone but her, so he needed her real tearful reactions. Punk girl with all the tattoos and colored hair walks by and smiles at Grace; as she leaves the room, the camera zooms in on a tattoo on her neck, of a Cross. Oh snap evil ACLU, you put a True Christian on the jury. The Newsboys then start to sing God's Not Dead at their concert.

Martin tells Pastor Dave he's going back to China to be a minister, even though it may mean death. Pastor Dave is proud of him and is released from the hospital. All is well....until the after the credits scene. Pastors Dave and Jude, along with Martin are approaching the church and joking when two cops tap Pastor Dave on the shoulder and arrest him for contempt of court for failing to follow the sermon transcript subpoena. That's right, the end of the film has the beginning of the persecution of True Christian Pastors who didn't "sell out to the government". The cops apologize to Pastor Dave, but say they're doing their jobs. He makes one last Prius joke saying Pastor Jude can keep driving it if he'll fill in for him for a bit longer...the end/setup for film number three. End Spoilers

Overall this wasn't as cheesy as the first film...that was actually a bad thing. It made it boring to sit through. The audience around me just laughed their heads off at a lot of jokes meant to target an Evangelical conservative audience, whereas I just sat there checking the time on my phone at things like "That guy looks like a Marine. We have to use a challenge, we can't let him on the jury. What part of 'God, country, Corps.' do you not understand?" Also the ACLU was a card carrying villain, at no point does the film acknowledge all the cases where the ACLU has defended Christians. The deck with the media and courts is stacked more against Grace in the film than the DNC establishment is against Bernie Sanders, with only Mike Huckabee's show acting in her defense and warning about the imminent persecution of all Christians in public life.

I didn't get the Pureflix Columbine ad that Cinema Snob did, but did get Dnesh D'Souza's "Hillary's America". Which seems to be all about, from the trailer, how it was a conspiracy to jail him for the crimes he committed and how the Democrats are nothing but racist baby killers out to destroy democracy itself and steal America for evil. The rest of the audience seemed enthralled and in agreement.

Edit: Oh and forgot in post earlier, Martin at the beginning of the movie when we re-intro him has a "few questions" for Pastor Dave...147 of them.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Shai Hulud's post
06-04-2016, 06:13 AM
I read Shai's cliff notes on the movie and then watched the cinema snob review rev posted. Now I don't have to watch the movie.

God dammit. I'm gonna be asked by countless people to go watch it and my opinion of it, of which they will expect me to sing its praises. I can't. I won't. I just don't know how I'm gonna keep from going full blown rant in Sunday School. FML.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
06-04-2016, 07:12 AM
(06-04-2016 06:13 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I read Shai's cliff notes on the movie and then watched the cinema snob review rev posted. Now I don't have to watch the movie.

God dammit. I'm gonna be asked by countless people to go watch it and my opinion of it, of which they will expect me to sing its praises. I can't. I won't. I just don't know how I'm gonna keep from going full blown rant in Sunday School. FML.

At least you know what yo expect so you can space out during the film and still know what happens when the quiz time comes. Hug

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
06-04-2016, 07:15 AM
(06-04-2016 03:14 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I have returned from the Wastelan---I mean theater. For some reason they had off duty cops guarding the screening of the movie, as if they expected the plot to come to life and have ruthless atheist protesters descend upon the movie. Anyhow, before I begin, I give this as a foretaste of the rest of the review...the last time alcohol passed my lips was at a conference three years ago, so November of 2013; I don't enjoy the taste, so it's not exactly tempting to me. That said, I came up with that date while watching the movie and considering thoroughly if I wanted to go out real quick to grab a drink from the theater's bar. Ended up staying...spoilers ahead.

We begin with the God's Not Dead past time of showing us the "Dear goodness how many main characters are there" shots. We do get some returning characters; Amy the liberal blogger turned believer who is now struggling in faith after a miraculous cure to her cancer (not once do we thank the doctors, it's implied to be a miracle); Pastor Dave, who in true fashion to the first film, is having a perpetual worst day ever; Pastor Jude who just happened to have gotten permission from his church to move from Africa to finish his PhD nearby (we discover this as he informs Pastor Dave that he's moving in, surprise Pastor Dave!); and Martin, the Chinese student from the first film who had the infamous phone talk with his dad where he was speaking Cantonese and his father was speaking Mandarin.

Next we start meeting our new people. A career driven couple with a daughter they've raised to be a "freethinker" and they lost their son in an accident. Grace Wesley (Melissa Joan Hart), who cares for her grandfather who is 82...come on GND2, come on...Grace as a first name and then her surname founds Methodism?

Anyhow, Brooke, the girl who lost her brother, has just suffered a lecture from her uncaring atheist parents about how she needs to "get over" her brother's death if she wants to get into an Ivy League school. No one seems to care about her except for her history teacher, Grace, who asks if she's okay. She later finds Grace at a coffee place, and tells her the truth about how she misses her brother and her parents have moved on. They talk a bit, and the girl asks her teacher how she has it all together, to which the teacher replies "Jesus". A bit after this, the Salvation Army comes for Brooke's brother's stuff and she listlessly watches as they carry it all to the truck until she goes to sit on the mattress, feeling lost (I have no clue why the mattress isn't being donated here), when miraculously the Salvation Army supervisor of the improbable larger number of workers getting the donation, comes back with her brother's Bible that she never knew he had. The supervisor gives it to her, saying she saw it and thought Brooke might want to keep it. It's heavily marked up and has little post its at key verses, etc.

Switch to the classroom, where Grace is discussing MLK's teachings on nonviolence at their school; Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. High School (the name is actually a "plot" point later). Brooke, now having read parts of the Bible, asks if it's similar to Jesus's teachings on non-violence. Grace quotes the Bible in response...this is the crux of the entire "legal case" against her later. She has quite literally done NOTHING WRONG in doing so, a student posed a valid question regarding the teachings of nonviolence that MLK espoused being related to those of Christ, and Grace responds that yes, that's what the Bible as a book, says Jesus said. She doesn't proselytize at all, she's operating within the law. One student makes a joke that Jesus ended up dying though, to which Grace quips "So did Dr. King. I'd rather never have to face that sort of test on my convictions."

Brooke's parents are horrified and file a complaint that she was trying to indoctrinate their "freethinker raised daughter" with religion. Grace ends up in front of a discpilinary committee and refuses to say she did anything wrong, they dismiss her and her lawyer, and scheme on how to get rid of Grace without losing money or public face. The school board's lawyer says to let the ACLU do it and that the ACLU wouldn't name the school board as a co-defendant, that they had somehow already been in contact and they just wanted Grace Wesley to make an example. So Grace is put on unpaid leave and given a public defender as the ACLU brings suit and the school board says to let the courts decide her fate.

The ACLU's head lawyer for the case meets with Brooke's parents, convincing them that this case will easily help Brooke get into any Ivy League School, when they mention she was at the heart of a Constitutional landmark case against religion, and that surely there would be scholarships...her parents sign on for the suit, despite Brooke insisting her teacher did nothing wrong. Meanwhile, Pastor Dave ends up with Jury duty, and Brooke's friend Marlene calls her aunt, Amy (the blogger who had a cancer miracle). Amy decides the case is interesting to her...btw on the cancer, this movie is set mere months after the first one, she went from stage iv, doctor telling her she would be dead in weeks, to full remission.

We begin the trial, or rather jury selection, and as a prof of criminal justice, I use both terms loosely, because what follows is only tangentially like what an elementary school kid imagines a trial looks like. They throw out the term "voire dire" to try and show they did the research, then completely do the process wrong. Voire Dire is the jury selection process, basically we want to weed out people with biases for some reason or another, and you have different types of challenge you can issue. The one that's most limited is the peremptory challenge; both sides used peremptory challenges like they were handing out candy at a parade. The peremptory challenge lets you dismiss a juror without explaining why. They do this so often they end up at Pastor Dave...who they challenge for cause. A challenge for cause is issued when you have a specific reason to believe a juror can't be fair due to an existing bias, like I don't know, you've got a woman on trial for preaching supposedly, and said potential juror is a Minister. They say that he can't be challenged for cause because all the peremptory challenges were used up, as if they're one and the same, and so Pastor Dave is our final juror. We choose an alternate who is a girl who is dressed very punk.

Basically from this point onward, if it involves the trial, assume that it's not reflective of an actual courtroom. Period. Martin, the Chinese student from the first film, has his communist yet businessman father appear in his dorm room unexpectedly to yell at him for becoming a Christian. He tells Martin he is a disgrace to the family and that he has come to bring Martin home to China. Martin refuses to deny Christ, so his father hits him and then declares that he's turned his back on the family and that he is being disowned, that his father no longer has a son, as the father walks tearfully away. if this seems familiar, it's because in the first GND, we see the Muslim girl of Arab descent beaten and disowned by her father; GND as a franchise seems incapable of making a film without a heavily racial stereotyped convert being beaten and disowned by their parents, only to later have a white person remind them that it's all okay, because, Jesus. Brooke goes to the church to ask someone for help, only to find Martin there playing the piano sorrowfully and singing How Great Thou Art; he leads her to Christ.

In the meantime, Pastor Dave is at a meeting of pastors. THe car rental guy from film one shows back up as the waiter and they talk about how he's still doing dinner theater and now waiting tables on the side. Thanks GND, of all the people to bring back, really wanted to know what happened to him. At this point the waiter asks about the pastor's car and is told "Oh, I got a Prius, starts every time". I counted 3 more Prius comment product placements after this, not mentioning Amy, our formerly liberal blogger drives a bright green Prius everywhere. In this meeting, the pastors are told a subpoena is coming for their sermon transcripts from the last three months. (Interestingly, this is based on a real case out of Houston and is NOT one of the ones they overinflate at the end, but that case ended up thrown out.) Pastor Dave refuses and writes a letter to that effect, giving it to the person in charge of collecting the transcripts and is threatened by said person.

He goes back to the court only to have his appendix burst, so the alternate juror, punk girl is sworn in. We start the witnesses. Grace's union rep says she's always bringing religion into the workplace and then can't cite one example. Her principal says Grace invited her to church once during work hours (in support of several students getting an award for community service); she also tries to claim MLK never espoused religion in his nonviolence, leading to readings from some speeches and letters...hence the "plot" related nature of the name, that it didn't include his Reverend title in it and was a form of de-Christianizing Dr. King. Another faculty member tells about how Grace takes donations for Convoy for Hope, a Christian charity during classtime. (I get it Grace, I do. I donate to an anti-human trafficking organization, but given it's religious nature, I don't tell my kids "bring in money" for it. Partially because I don't want legal troubles like this one.) Grace and her lawyer decide on a new strategy over Chinese food that night, prove Jesus is a historical figure and therefore quoting Him in history class isn't wrong. They call in a list of cameos and product placements from Lee Strobel of "Case for Christ" to some guy who wrote a book called "Cold Case Christianity". It's looking good over in the jury until Brooke testifies in her teacher's defense against her parents' wishes...and then totally tells everyone how they had talked about Jesus outside of class too. Kane (seriously, as I think about this, does that make Melissa Joan Hart, Abel? Know it's not spelled correctly, but still), seizes on this and actually lays a completely plausible point: If Brooke hadn't had the talk with Grace at the coffee shop that ended in Jesus, then she wouldn't have accepted the Bible of her brother's from the Salvation Army, she never would have asked the Jesus question to Grace in class, and she never would have become a Christian and the entire case would have never happened. Kane makes a lot of good points really, for being an even more moustache twirling villain the Kevin Sorbo's character in the first film. The jury seems angry now, thinking Grace and her lawyer lied, all hope seems lost. Grace is told by her lawyer to prepare to lose everything.

Brooke, feeling horrible, arranges a candlelit vigil outside Grace's house to sing How Great Thou Art. The next day comes and her lawyer enters the courtroom late and better dressed than ever before, calling her to the stand and asking the court to treat her as a hostile witness. He forces her to admit things under oath that she had told him in confidence (seriously this film just gives zero f***s about anything like attorney-client privilege or realism in court) in order to make the jury hate him, and hate the ACLU, whose case he seems to be making. He makes her cry on the stand and he rants and raves that this is just the first step to silencing all Christians, to fine them, to jail them, to make them renounce their faith if they want to work in the public sector, etc.

At the Newsboys concert, Michael Tate is lifting his phone and addressing the audience, saying Amy's on it asking for prayers for Grace, so the Newsboys lead the audience in a prayer for Grace. They then proceed to sing their new song about when did it become illegal to say your name in school, etc. The pro-Grace Christian protesters outside the court remain quiet and dignified and prayerful, while the "atheist" and "Freethinker" protesters act like a horde of rabid and barely restrained animals opposite them, spewing forth hate like a firehose sends water into a flaming building. The jury comes back to deliver their verdict that Grace did nothing wrong, and Brooke runs out to tell everyone "God is not dead!" as a way to somehow symbolize the case was won. Grace's attorney apologizes to her, saying it had been his secret strategy after the jury got angry at them, to make them angry at everyone but her, so he needed her real tearful reactions. Punk girl with all the tattoos and colored hair walks by and smiles at Grace; as she leaves the room, the camera zooms in on a tattoo on her neck, of a Cross. Oh snap evil ACLU, you put a True Christian on the jury. The Newsboys then start to sing God's Not Dead at their concert.

Martin tells Pastor Dave he's going back to China to be a minister, even though it may mean death. Pastor Dave is proud of him and is released from the hospital. All is well....until the after the credits scene. Pastors Dave and Jude, along with Martin are approaching the church and joking when two cops tap Pastor Dave on the shoulder and arrest him for contempt of court for failing to follow the sermon transcript subpoena. That's right, the end of the film has the beginning of the persecution of True Christian Pastors who didn't "sell out to the government". The cops apologize to Pastor Dave, but say they're doing their jobs. He makes one last Prius joke saying Pastor Jude can keep driving it if he'll fill in for him for a bit longer...the end/setup for film number three. End Spoilers

Overall this wasn't as cheesy as the first film...that was actually a bad thing. It made it boring to sit through. The audience around me just laughed their heads off at a lot of jokes meant to target an Evangelical conservative audience, whereas I just sat there checking the time on my phone at things like "That guy looks like a Marine. We have to use a challenge, we can't let him on the jury. What part of 'God, country, Corps.' do you not understand?" Also the ACLU was a card carrying villain, at no point does the film acknowledge all the cases where the ACLU has defended Christians. The deck with the media and courts is stacked more against Grace in the film than the DNC establishment is against Bernie Sanders, with only Mike Huckabee's show acting in her defense and warning about the imminent persecution of all Christians in public life.

I didn't get the Pureflix Columbine ad that Cinema Snob did, but did get Dnesh D'Souza's "Hillary's America". Which seems to be all about, from the trailer, how it was a conspiracy to jail him for the crimes he committed and how the Democrats are nothing but racist baby killers out to destroy democracy itself and steal America for evil. The rest of the audience seemed enthralled and in agreement.

Edit: Oh and forgot in post earlier, Martin at the beginning of the movie when we re-intro him has a "few questions" for Pastor Dave...147 of them.

Nice synopsis. You are a brave, brave soldier for jumping on this grenade. Bowing

One thing you didn't mention is how many times you laughed. I know you said it was kind of boring but there had to be some funny parts.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
06-04-2016, 07:16 AM
(05-04-2016 11:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 10:37 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  God's Not Dead 3: The Horse is Not Dead

God's not dead 4: that's no horse

GND5: The Return of Hercules.

- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
06-04-2016, 07:46 AM
My parents are going to go see this movie because they seem to think that they really are persecuted, and these movies offer 'realistic' scenarios that can/do actually happen.

Inc lecture on the evil atheist and ACLU agenda vs the poor, poor Christians Dodgy

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
06-04-2016, 10:46 AM
(06-04-2016 07:16 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  GND5: The Return of Hercules.

God's Not Dead 6: DISAPPOINTED!

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
06-04-2016, 11:33 AM
(06-04-2016 10:46 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(06-04-2016 07:16 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  GND5: The Return of Hercules.

God's Not Dead 6: DISAPPOINTED!

I think if god was alive, they wouldn't be needin' to make movies about him bein' dead or not. Doh. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-04-2016, 11:41 AM
(06-04-2016 11:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-04-2016 10:46 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  God's Not Dead 6: DISAPPOINTED!

I think if god was alive, they wouldn't be needin' to make movies about him bein' dead or not. Doh. Facepalm

GND 7: Bucking the Trend

- Paul Dirac
06-04-2016, 01:17 PM
(06-04-2016 06:13 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I read Shai's cliff notes on the movie and then watched the cinema snob review rev posted. Now I don't have to watch the movie.

Sorry about the Sunday School part at least Sad Maybe you'll get dis-invited instead of just put on every old church lady's gossip list for prayers?

(06-04-2016 07:15 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Nice synopsis. You are a brave, brave soldier for jumping on this grenade. Bowing

One thing you didn't mention is how many times you laughed. I know you said it was kind of boring but there had to be some funny parts.

Thank you! Could've been a much worse grenade (as I continue to stare in the general direction of A Matter of Faith). Funny part wise...the few I really gut laughed at:
  • Pastor Jude surprising Pastor Dave that he was moving in...after their Disney misadventure in the first film, I really wouldn't mind some sort of buddy cop/pastor movie about these two.
  • Pastor Dave's no good very bad morning...it was played for just laughs that he's a long suffering character, but it really was funny.
  • One of the junior ACLU lawyers gets this killing look from Kane when she says he just proved in court that Jesus exists. It was the look and the whole, "I don't how you think you did that?" which made me laugh.
  • And lastly, the 82 year old doing a happy dance at his walker towards the end.

(06-04-2016 11:41 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(06-04-2016 11:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think if god was alive, they wouldn't be needin' to make movies about him bein' dead or not. Doh. Facepalm

GND 7: Bucking the Trend
Starring Kirk Cameron as Buck from the Left Behind series.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user