God's Omnipotence - The heavy rock paradox

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2010, 05:03 PM

RE: God's Omnipitance - The heavy rock paradox
Well you just came up with a new paradox Tongue
Perhaps it can be analyzed with the method described in Wikipedia.
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2010, 07:38 PM

Well, that is what I don't think it can, using that method.
I could trye applying this logic to the mountain thing.
By asking if God could create a mountain so big he could not lift it you assumed such a mountain can actually exist when in fact it can't because God has unlimited powers.

Ok, so, as God would trye to create a mountain so big that he could not lift it, he would simply find that his powers are increasingly unlimited I guess.
A bit like stepping from one foot to another I guess.
I create a mountain I cannot lift and my powers, that are limitless, find that I can lift it anyway.. does this make any sense? So basicly unlimited in a very strange "growing" sense. Unlimited in what I consider real unlimited..
I would love to see it debunked cause it puzzles me Smile
06-01-2010, 07:53 PM

I see your point.

How about the "God cannot do the illogical" answer?

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_par...od_Paradox

My "logic" skills aren't as good as I'd like them to be.
06-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Wether it's the hypothetical God or the God that doesn't exist, it looks like he's limited to our imaginations---our unlimited imaginations. Now there's power.
06-01-2010, 08:54 PM

I asked my theistic co-worker this.

His answer:

"He could, but he won't, because that would destroy the universe. You know with all the physics stuff he does."
06-01-2010, 09:06 PM

(06-01-2010 08:54 PM)Packilvania Wrote:  "He could, but he won't, because that would destroy the universe. You know with all the physics stuff he does."

He said that? For real?
06-01-2010, 09:15 PM

(06-01-2010 08:54 PM)Packilvania Wrote:  I asked my theistic co-worker this.

His answer:

"He could, but he won't, because that would destroy the universe. You know with all the physics stuff he does."

That's a gas. God's really good at physics.

He could always make another universe--next time maybe with not so much physics.
23-01-2010, 04:14 PM

I would expect God's answer to be something in the style of

"Yes, I can create a rock like that, but I will not do so."

Obviously, God still can lift all rocks he took the trouble to create. Logically, there is no paradox, as long as God takes care not to use too much of his power. (Maybe that explains why people are less than perfect.)
23-01-2010, 11:48 PM

J_V, you say that his answer would be "Yes, I can create a rock like that, but I will not do so.", and in doing so he would be admitting that he is not omnipotent, since if he can create a rock which he can not lift. The paradox doesn't lie in whether he actually does it, but only in whether he can do it or not, and it's not about whether he can manipulate the world already in existence, but whether he could create a world in which he had no control.

I know i might sound like someone who believes in god, so i just want to clarify that i do not.
25-01-2010, 09:30 AM
It's the irresistible force/immovable object question. The answer is that you cannot have both, as the existence of either would preclude the other. The only reasonable conclusion, then, is that God, if he exists, is not omnipotent.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply