God's Omnipotence - The heavy rock paradox

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2013, 01:30 PM
RE: God's Omnipitance - The heavy rock paradox
I recently learned about this paradox and I think it's more useful to disprove the notion of omnipotence than it is the existence of a god. Apologists will argue their god can only do what is logically possible, I wonder what's the point of the notion miracles then? Besides what's logically possible always changes in the realm of human knowledge increasing everyday. The thing logically possible today wasn't conceivable a mere 100 years ago.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2013, 01:57 PM
[Image: e696e_ORIG-thread_necromancy.jpg]

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
23-01-2013, 02:23 PM

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
23-01-2013, 06:37 PM
He can, but it's a quantum rock so he both is able and is not able to lift it a the same time. Philosophy has to keep up with the march of scientific knowledge or it will become irrelevant.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
23-01-2013, 10:51 PM
i like homers version better. can jesus microwave a buretto so hot that even he cant eat it?
24-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Yes, but it's a quantum burrito. It has photons in it. You know when God said "let there be light" what he meant was let there be quantum physics, right?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
24-01-2013, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2013 07:21 AM by Bucky Ball.)
So the question is : "IF there were to be a god, AND IF the god had the properties that SOME people ascribe to the god, THEN would that god be subject to what humans think appears to be logical ?"
The answer is : "No".
There is no evidence for any gods, AND if there were to be, it appears that what appears to humans to be intuitively logical is not the nature of Reality, (see Heisenberg's Uncertainty, Einstein's Relativity, and the math of Paul Dirac).
So then the question is : "Would a god, (if there were to be one), be subject to the nature of Reality ?". The answer to that is also "no", (or the god would not be the creator of Reality). So the god could do anything it wanted, whether it appears to be logical to us or not, or it would not be god.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
07-02-2013, 11:23 PM
So much "Unregistered"....

So..... Horse dead yet?

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
07-02-2013, 11:57 PM

What is an "unregistered" user? How can they post?

Anyway, this is a stupid paradox. If God creates a rock He cannot lift, He's only omnipotent so long as He can't lift it. The omnipotence is proved by his inability to lift that particular rock. This is not even a paradox.

The real question is has He ever done so? And in a way, yes, He has.

The human being is created and is capable of choosing to move toward God or away. It really is about the only free choice we have. In order for that kind of spirit to exist, however, God has to give up both the ability to force it and to know ahead of time what will occur. It becomes a dark place in His mind He is not able to go to. This is, by the way, what is symbolized in the idea of God dying for us. In order to create a human being, he has to give up part of Himself. If the human being moves toward God, there is great glory to be had. God, Himself, is amplified by it and it becomes a net gain unto Him.

I pity the human who makes the wrong choice.

Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
08-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Oh Egor, how you make me laugh!

May the Trolly Ghost lead your way to providing me with more lulz.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post