God's Omnipotence - The heavy rock paradox

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 12:16 AM
RE: God's Omnipotence - The heavy rock paradox
(27-02-2013 12:03 AM)Andrew_Njonjo Wrote:  The powers that be?? Is there a god of the forum (please note this is the conventional usage of god and not in reference to the one I'm sitting on)

We've all powerful Overlords, I do hope that counts.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 03:47 PM
God is unwilling to lift the rock that impedes trust, the immovable rock of free will. He does, however, what He wishes to do, in that He does not wish to overcome your free will via His. He is thus still omnipotent.
27-02-2013, 04:02 PM
(27-02-2013 03:47 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  God is unwilling to lift the rock that impedes trust, the immovable rock of free will. He does, however, what He wishes to do, in that He does not wish to overcome your free will via His. He is thus still omnipotent.
You would be making a good point if it wasn't for the fact that the paradox in question aims at exploring whether or not god can do X, not whether or not he wants to do X.
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
27-02-2013, 04:14 PM
God's Omnipotence - The heavy rock paradox
(26-02-2013 07:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-02-2013 07:13 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Right. And every person who has an OOBE is just experiencing a chemical flush that causes them all to have incredibly similar dreams. Wait for it... here comes a study showing that ten Atheists died on tables and saw Chuck Darwin standing in darkness. Yawn.

Since all of our brains work essentially the same way, it should be no surprise that events are experienced in very similar ways.

There is no supporting evidence for OOBEs to be anything but internal.

Would be more inclined to blame shared cultural experiences on shared aspects to perceptions encountered under such conditions. We are all born on the same planet. In this age cultural information and ideas are shared more globally than ever before.

So far all the anecdotes I've heard about OOBEs have been from folks born and raised in primarily Judeo-Christian influenced cultures.

Is there any data at all on what the Chinese tend to experience in any of their reported OOBEs? Do they see icons from Christianity? I'd be surprised if they did. India? Afghanistan?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
28-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Quote:You would be making a good point if it wasn't for the fact that the paradox in question aims at exploring whether or not god can do X, not whether or not he wants to do X.
God doesn't want to do anything illogical nor can he do anything illogical. Thought I'd covered that earlier.
28-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Quote:Would be more inclined to blame shared cultural experiences on shared aspects to perceptions encountered under such conditions. We are all born on the same planet. In this age cultural information and ideas are shared more globally than ever before.

So far all the anecdotes I've heard about OOBEs have been from folks born and raised in primarily Judeo-Christian influenced cultures.

Is there any data at all on what the Chinese tend to experience in any of their reported OOBEs? Do they see icons from Christianity? I'd be surprised if they did. India? Afghanistan?
You're right about shared knowledge--plus there's improved medical science. Tens of thousands or more have reported OOBEs. I'd love to see any foreign data. Anyone?
28-02-2013, 09:33 AM
(28-02-2013 08:43 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:You would be making a good point if it wasn't for the fact that the paradox in question aims at exploring whether or not god can do X, not whether or not he wants to do X.
God doesn't want to do anything illogical nor can he do anything illogical. Thought I'd covered that earlier.
So that whole coming to Earth bit as his son, who was god, who was not divine, is... Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
28-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Quote:So that whole coming to Earth bit as his son, who was god, who was not divine, is...
Huh? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your query, but God lived in a man, just as He lives in all men to sustain them and keep them from degenerating to dust...
28-02-2013, 11:38 AM
(28-02-2013 11:05 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:So that whole coming to Earth bit as his son, who was god, who was not divine, is...
Huh? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your query, but God lived in a man, just as He lives in all men to sustain them and keep them from degenerating to dust...
I'm saying that according to his own text, he does a bunch of illogical shit. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
28-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Quote:I'm saying that according to his own text, he does a bunch of illogical shit.
I see, Aristotelian logic, personal logic, or crappy logic? Smile