God's existence analogy with fish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2016, 07:28 AM
RE: God's existence analogy with fish
It makes sense that a theist might use this analogy since there are talking fish. They like talking snakes/serpents and talking donkeys as well Wink

We could easily make the same analogy using the same two fish.

Little Fish: This is all there is to life.

Big Fish: No, there is a magical fish bowl in the clouds that is watched over by a magical genie. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Now you have to do what this magical genie says or he will flush you down his magical toilet bowl into the Sewer of Abyss.

Little Fish: That sounds very hard to believe and goes against all of what we know to be true living here in the river. And if the magical genie exists, why has he never come to see us? Other schools of fish also have their own versions of magical genies. Their genie hasn't come to see them either. If I decide to believe in your magical genie and do everything he says to make him happy--and it turns out the magical fish bowl doesn't exist, I would have wasted my one life swimming in circles for something that never existed in the first place. So thanks-but no thanks, I'm good.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-11-2016, 07:58 AM
(04-11-2016 02:12 AM)Jokurix Wrote:  So, during a classroom discussion about God's existence, the teacher just threw this in the air:

What kind of school and what subject was that a class in?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
04-11-2016, 08:05 AM
Just what you'd expect from a dumbass xtian....

"Moral" stories featuring talking animals....................

I'll bet "Finding Nemo" really gives 'em a raging hardon....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-11-2016, 08:40 AM
(04-11-2016 03:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ask what brand of fish the teacher was talking about.

Most freshwater fish can't survive in a saltwater ocean. They'll die.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like the ocean is a better analogy for hell than for heaven.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
04-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Is that all there is?
Is that all there is?
If that's all there is my friends,
Then let's keep dancing,
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all....
There is.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
04-11-2016, 09:14 AM
It's not even an analogy. It's a way of conditioning people into thinking a certain way, to just accept what they are told without questioning. And being told to do so by a teacher, someone in authority, it's insidious and irresponsible. Students soon learn that if they don't do what the teacher says then they'll get into trouble. A teacher who is basically conditioning them into taking on faith government and corporate propaganda as adults.

A story far more beneficial to the students would have been:

There are 2 fish in a river, one small and the other big, just swimming. The small fish asks, "is this all there is to life? a river?" to which the bigger fish responds "No. Listen, you may be in a river right now, but there's an ocean out there."

The small fish questions his remark and goes "How can there be an ocean? I have never seen it." and the big fish responds again "But there is an ocean, a giant body of this water we're swimming in. But it's not because you can't see it that it doesn't exist."

But the smaller fish continues. "How do you know this? What evidence is there of a big ocean? Have you been there? "

The big fish, being a fresh water fish, doesn't actually know this because if he had been to the ocean he would have died from dehydration in salt water before being able to return so is unable to answer.

The small fish, unsatisfied with a lack of answer from the big fish, says:

"Well I'm going to only claim what I actually know. And I'm going to start exploring because I actually want to know more about my environment."

So the small fish goes off to explore. He swims in one direction and eventually finds a wall. So he picks one direction and follows the wall to see where it goes. Days pass but still he continues swimming. Eventually he meets the big fish dreaming about the ocean.

"Hello again, what are you doing here?" asks the small fish.

"Dreaming about the ocean" replies the big fish. "I haven't moved since you left"

The small fish concludes that they aren't in a river but an enclosed lake.

But this raises another question. If they aren't in a river then why is the water flowing in one direction? The small fish follows the flow of water this time and realises that the lake is being drained.
04-11-2016, 09:29 AM
The title of this thread sounds like I'm being sold something. "New and improved god analogy! Now with real fish!"
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
04-11-2016, 09:34 AM
(04-11-2016 09:14 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  So the small fish goes off to explore. He swims in one direction and eventually finds a wall.

"Dam!!!" he exclaims.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 4 users Like Silly Deity's post
04-11-2016, 10:29 AM
To the so called "teacher"

Me "The story you just told me doesn't sound possible. Did you or anyone else hear these two fish talking ? I would have thought someone would have recorded such a once in a lifetime event."

T -"No it's not a true story. It's an analogy. It's a made up story, created to make a point. In this case, the point being that just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist."

Me "How do you determine if it's a real story or an analogy ?"

T -"Well, it's obviously an analogy. Have you ever seen a talking fish ?"

Me "Just because I've never seen one, doesn't mean they aren't real. Isn't that the point you're trying to make ? So how do you know the story isn't real ?"

T-"In all of history, there has never been any evidence of talking fish. Biology tells us, they can't make sounds the way we can and their brains are vastly different on multiple levels of intelligence and cognitive abilities. When we hear tall tales and fantastic stories we shouldn't believe they are true unless we have evidence to backup the truthfulness of the story."

Me -"You're right. There is no reason to believe that something exists until we have some evidence that backs up the story."

T-"Wait, no. That's not.... Ahhh fuck"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 10 users Like Rahn127's post
04-11-2016, 11:14 AM
It's obvious the point of the story is a metaphor for heaven.

But how did they know they weren't in a sea? Or maybe a large lake? An aquarium? What standards dose the fish have for an ocean?

The other point would be the ocean was demonstrated to the skeptical fish. The skeptical fish had nothing for a frame of reference. It was taking an honest position, without blind acceptance.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin