God's pledge of eternal salvation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2012, 06:45 AM
God's pledge of eternal salvation
My question to those that hope for eternal salvation is...Why do you assume that god won't change his mind and allow rebellion in heaven as he did with Lucifer? If that scene is repeated then all bets are off again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2012, 08:25 AM
RE: God's pledge of eternal salvation
Because the Bible says differently.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
20-01-2012, 08:43 AM
My left buttock says differently too, so that's settled Smile

My right buttock isn't convinced though.

Sorry KC, you've got a big ol' target painted on you by some scurvy scallywag and every now and then I can't resist taking pot shits. Shots I mean...
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
20-01-2012, 09:05 AM
I don't think because the bible said so is a good answer here. We are talking about god changing his mind not what god said is the case at the time of the bible.

This would include an infinite amount of time in said future. So yes it's possible.

The real question should be "why do you assume this won't happen at some point?"

Keep in mind the bible is one book written 2000+ years ago in comparison with an infinite time-line.
20-01-2012, 09:12 AM
(20-01-2012 09:05 AM)Godless Wrote:  I don't think because the bible said so is a good answer here. We are talking about god changing his mind not what god said is the case at the time of the bible.

This would include an infinite amount of time in said future. So yes it's possible.

The real question should be "why do you assume this won't happen at some point?"

Keep in mind the bible is one book written 2000+ years ago in comparison with an infinite time-line.

Ummm, yes "because the Bible so" is a VALID answer. You can't say, "Hey, you know that stuff that's said in that book that you believe is infallible... yeah, what if, it isn't true and God does something different?"

The Bible clearly defines what is going to happen and how it ends... and it lasts for eternity.

This is a pet peeve of mine... you start a theological debate and throw theology out the door and say that theology isn't valid. It's a trap topic.

20-01-2012, 09:27 AM

(20-01-2012 08:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because the Bible says differently.

Nice try, but THAT part of the bible is Metaphor. Didnt you get the memo?

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
20-01-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm sorry I just assumed you were familiar with the concept of free will.

If your going to lock down god to one set of rules and claim them to be unchangeable you are effectively turning your god into a being without the free will to change his mind.

Also are you really going to use the "Infallible" argument. Because if you are going to argue everything in the book is true then I'm afraid that pretty much everyone and their mom is this forum is going to be able to show if you choose to believe it or not that there a ton of errors and impossibles in the book.
20-01-2012, 09:37 AM
(20-01-2012 09:29 AM)Godless Wrote:  I'm sorry I just assumed you were familiar with the concept of free will.

If your going to lock down god to one set of rules and claim them to be unchangeable you are effectively turning your god into a being without the free will to change his mind.

Also are you really going to use the "Infallible" argument. Because if you are going to argue everything in the book is true then I'm afraid that pretty much everyone and their mom is this forum is going to be able to show if you choose to believe it or not that there a ton of errors and impossibles in the book.

Ohhh boy...

...I'm sorry, I concede. I really can't commit to this discussion.

(20-01-2012 09:27 AM)Denicio Wrote:  

D

It's not just because of eschatology that the question is flawed... it's based on the character of God and what is said about him in the Bible. Also, I didn't say all of it was metaphorical... well, maybe I did (my fault), but that was over simplifying it so I could avoid an eschatological discussion (partial laziness on my part). I did allude to it being apocalyptic language, which consists of symbolism, numerology, and metaphors.

20-01-2012, 10:12 AM

(20-01-2012 09:37 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(20-01-2012 09:29 AM)Godless Wrote:  I'm sorry I just assumed you were familiar with the concept of free will.

Ohhh boy...

...I'm sorry, I concede. I really can't commit to this discussion.

(20-01-2012 09:27 AM)Denicio Wrote:  

D

It's not just because of eschatology that the question is flawed... it's based on the character of God and what is said about him in the Bible. Also, I didn't say all of it was metaphorical... well, maybe I did (my fault), but that was over simplifying it so I could avoid an eschatological discussion (partial laziness on my part). I did allude to it being apocalyptic language, which consists of symbolism, numerology, and metaphors.

KC missed my point entirely. Not all that unexpected.

But brings up another, bigger issue. "Based on the Character of God". Again, the OT is God's Resume. WHY would you want to spend a second with this maniac? I dont care how cool, gruvy, accommodating, wise, caring, loving and dude-like the BUTLER is (Jesus) if the the MASTER of the house is a whimsical killer......why bother?

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Denicio's post
20-01-2012, 10:45 AM
This aggression will not stand, man.

Every time I see your avatar Denicio, I want to go back and watch that movie.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post