God's voice??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2016, 07:23 AM
God's voice??
I don't know if it's a defense some of you guys normally come across, but now I have some theist friends who tell me they have heard God talk to them before. (In their heads, I'm assuming)

Of course, that leads me to wonder why God doesn't up and talk to anyone else who's obviously straying from the right path...

And just recently enough, I feel pathetic for having to have reasoned myself through this, but I did hear something in my own head along the lines of "you must do this before it's too late or I'll never forgive you..." and I panicked over it for an embarrassingly long while before realizing I could make that same voice come back and say "You'll be in hell with Kim Kardashian..." Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Diddlyboop's post
18-12-2016, 09:36 AM
God's voice??
(18-12-2016 07:23 AM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  Of course, that leads me to wonder why God doesn't up and talk to anyone else who's obviously straying from the right path...

Apparently you have to tune into the right frequency to hear him.
[+] 3 users Like KUSA's post
18-12-2016, 09:56 AM
RE: God's voice??
(18-12-2016 09:36 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 07:23 AM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  Of course, that leads me to wonder why God doesn't up and talk to anyone else who's obviously straying from the right path...

Apparently you have to tune into the right frequency to hear him.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Ask them if it sounded like Morgan Freeman.

If "God" didn't sound exactly like Morgan Freeman, then it wasn't really God. Tongue

Morgan Freeman...Morgan Freeman...Morgan Freeman.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-12-2016, 03:23 PM
You mean it isn't this?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
18-12-2016, 05:04 PM
I was once told by a member of the medical profession that if you can hear voices in your head and it's not your own voice, see someone in the psychiatric health area immediately.Yes
[+] 6 users Like Snowbusinesslikesnowbusiness's post
18-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Come to think of it -- aren't there people that aren't Christian who claim to have heard the voice of their Gods as well?

Of course that wouldn't disprove there being multiple gods just ignoring the nonbelievers. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Diddlyboop's post
18-12-2016, 09:48 PM
(18-12-2016 05:04 PM)Snowbusinesslikesnowbusiness Wrote:  I was once told by a member of the medical profession that if you can hear voices in your head and it's not your own voice, see someone in the psychiatric health area immediately.Yes

All joking aside I think that, historically, if you were a person born with (undiagnosed and undiagnosable-- because they don't even know what it is) schizophrenia or similar neurological disorders, then the only conclusion you could reach when hearing the voices and/or seeing the people and other hallucinations appear before you is that you are "blessed by God" and thus a prophet. It certainly beats being taken outside the city and stoned to death by your barbarian neighbors because you're "weird". Instead, you can become a "seer" and prophet.

One example is Paul, in his conversion on the Damascus road story, where he saw a bright light and heard a voice talking to him. A seizure of some kind, followed by the idea that he was being spoken to by the deity he had previously been investigating and persecuting, perhaps?

Like most things in biology, it's not an on/off switch, but a condition which can have degrees of severity. Most cases are likely quite mild and not enough to need psychological intervention. In our culture, it is perfectly acceptable to tell others that you have heard voices in your head if they come from angels/gods. So that's what we hear about. The guy who thinks Alexander Hamilton is talking to him is less likely to talk about it with his Sunday School class.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
18-12-2016, 09:54 PM
How do I figure out which of the voices in there is God's?

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
18-12-2016, 10:02 PM
(18-12-2016 09:54 PM)yakherder Wrote:  How do I figure out which of the voices in there is God's?

If it's God, it either it sounds like Morgan Freeman or it commands you to slice off your foreskin and murder your son.

[+] 8 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post