God's voice??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2016, 10:19 PM
RE: God's voice??
See, this is something that I never understand.

Let's say I'm a believer in the general Christian mythos, and let's say I start hearing a voice in my head telling me to do shit.

How do I tell if it's God commanding me to do something, or Satan trying to trick me?

Really, how would I go about verifying this person's identity?

Do I just obey, not caring about the possibility that it might be Satan? This seems to be the default answer, but... WHY? WHERE'S THE SKEPTICISM?

Do I ask? Satan would just pretend to be God, and do so well enough to fool me, because tricking people's one of Satan's things.

Even assuming the whole Christian mythos was true, how would I go about verifying the authority of the Headvoice?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
22-12-2016, 06:52 AM
The thing about those "voices in their heads".....

You'll almost never find a "devout" person who doesn't agree with the "voice of God".....

Amazingly -- this god person almost always tell these fuckers to do, what they've already decided to do on their own.....

Usually something spectacular, and illegal - and almost never helpful.....

You never hear about some guy getting a "message from god" to go to the rest area on Interstate 35 south of Austin Texas, and clean the third toilet from the left in the men's room..............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
22-12-2016, 01:56 PM
And from what I remember of the bible, isn't there a passage or two in there stating God doesn't talk to people? (aside from the contradicting ones where he does, but--)
22-12-2016, 07:43 PM
(21-12-2016 10:19 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  See, this is something that I never understand.

Let's say I'm a believer in the general Christian mythos, and let's say I start hearing a voice in my head telling me to do shit.

How do I tell if it's God commanding me to do something, or Satan trying to trick me?

Really, how would I go about verifying this person's identity?

Do I just obey, not caring about the possibility that it might be Satan? This seems to be the default answer, but... WHY? WHERE'S THE SKEPTICISM?

Do I ask? Satan would just pretend to be God, and do so well enough to fool me, because tricking people's one of Satan's things.

Even assuming the whole Christian mythos was true, how would I go about verifying the authority of the Headvoice?

The bible actually backs up your point:

2 Corinthians 11:14-And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
23-12-2016, 02:46 AM
(18-12-2016 07:23 AM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  I don't know if it's a defense some of you guys normally come across, but now I have some theist friends who tell me they have heard God talk to them before. (In their heads, I'm assuming)

Of course, that leads me to wonder why God doesn't up and talk to anyone else who's obviously straying from the right path...

And just recently enough, I feel pathetic for having to have reasoned myself through this, but I did hear something in my own head along the lines of "you must do this before it's too late or I'll never forgive you..." and I panicked over it for an embarrassingly long while before realizing I could make that same voice come back and say "You'll be in hell with Kim Kardashian..." Laugh out load

A fate worse than deathBowing

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
07-01-2017, 09:44 PM
(18-12-2016 07:23 AM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  I don't know if it's a defense some of you guys normally come across, but now I have some theist friends who tell me they have heard God talk to them before. (In their heads, I'm assuming)

Of course, that leads me to wonder why God doesn't up and talk to anyone else who's obviously straying from the right path...

And just recently enough, I feel pathetic for having to have reasoned myself through this, but I did hear something in my own head along the lines of "you must do this before it's too late or I'll never forgive you..." and I panicked over it for an embarrassingly long while before realizing I could make that same voice come back and say "You'll be in hell with Kim Kardashian..." Laugh out load

Various brain farts like this are more common than most people realize.
For example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Man_factor

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
07-01-2017, 11:22 PM
When I was Catholic I was often told by other kids that God talked to them. When I asked what did he say they would say "well it wasn't verbal." Or "that he loves us." Never how to bring peace to the world never something more profound like the nature of dark matter or something. But I felt left out. I felt there was something wrong with me. So to fit in I would say that I heard him too.

As I got older i would often talk out load to myself. And pretend it was God speaking threw me. To me. But it would never tell me anything I didn't already know. I still talk to myself but now I debate ideas. Imaging scenarios of conversations that I may have.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
08-01-2017, 08:32 AM
(07-01-2017 09:44 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  arious brain farts like this are more common than most people realize.
For example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Man_factor
Yes and some people are far more prone to experiencing actual auditory or visual hallucinations. It's just that, as with synesthesia for example, one quickly learns to keep such "differentness" to oneself lest people think you are nuts. I am convinced this is far more widespread than generally recognized.

My wife for example is as sane as they come but since childhood if she stares at the patterns on the ceiling or the clouds in the sky, she does not simply imagine forms and shapes in them, she sees them morph in realtime. I have met others who confessed to such things. And when you put this together with Jayne's hypothesis about the bicameral mind, and consider that people who have TOO MUCH of this going on lose the ability to function in shared reality with everyone else (aka: go crazy) it becomes far less impressive that someone can testify to a compelling personal subjective experience of god, angels, deceased relatives or whatever.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
08-01-2017, 08:37 AM
(07-01-2017 11:22 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  When I was Catholic I was often told by other kids that God talked to them. When I asked what did he say they would say "well it wasn't verbal." Or "that he loves us." Never how to bring peace to the world never something more profound like the nature of dark matter or something. But I felt left out. I felt there was something wrong with me. So to fit in I would say that I heard him too.

As I got older i would often talk out load to myself. And pretend it was God speaking threw me. To me. But it would never tell me anything I didn't already know. I still talk to myself but now I debate ideas. Imaging scenarios of conversations that I may have.
Yes, this was my experience exactly, only it was in fundamentalist Christianity. We had a ritual called "testimony time" in which our small congregation was invited, usually at Wednesday night prayer meeting, to testify of something that had happened in the past week that illustrated that our faith was living and vital, our relationship with god interactive, and that it wasn't all just bullshit. Someone had to testify to something and break the uncomfortable silence, as the silence testified to the sheer mundaneness of our existences and the profound indifference of god. So someone would invariably lead off with some story, by turns highly decorated ordinariness, or complete bullshit, but occasionally something actually supernatural-sounding. The latter, I'm guessing, was often real hallucinations, the rest was just trying to force a result. All of it meant nothing, but it was a shared fantasy that we all engaged in once a week to "testify" to god's interventionist nature.
08-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Nobody in human history has ever talked to a god or deity or entity or ghost polytheistic or monotheistic. If someone is claiming to talk to the super natural, they are fooling themselves, deluded because they don't want to face their finite reality, or the are deluded AND mentally ill.

If someone you ran into walking down a sidewalk was claiming, "My dog told me to build a monument to Underdog", sane people would go, "Ok,,,,,,, that's nice.... do you need your meds adjusted"

Yes thee above is blasphemous, and I am sure it offends many. But it is not meant one bit as a call to force the end of religion, but cold water on your face to get more people to consider why they reject the deity/god/supernatural claims of others, but not their own.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post