God's wife?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2011, 10:37 AM
God's wife?
I read an article just the other day on Discovery News titled "God's Wife Edited Out of the Bible -- Almost." It is on Discovery News' website. I thought this was really interesting.

I just thought of a good question. If god no longer has a wife does that mean he divorced her? Does that jive with the Catholic view?

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2011, 11:30 AM
RE: God's wife?
I found your article here
( I wonder if they ever had that toothpaste-specks-on-the-bathroom-mirror-argument Smile)

also
3vid3nce about the bible before it became monotheistic

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
30-03-2011, 12:13 PM
(30-03-2011 11:30 AM)The_observer Wrote:  I found your article here
( I wonder if they ever had that toothpaste-specks-on-the-bathroom-mirror-argument Smile)

also
3vid3nce about the bible before it became monotheistic

Thanks for the links. I did not want to post it in case I accidentally broke one of the rules for hot linking, a little more crucial since I am still a noob on the forum.

Evolve

Smartass
31-03-2011, 12:14 AM
(30-03-2011 12:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  in case I accidentally broke one of the rules for hot linking, a little more crucial since I am still a noob on the forum.

What's the worst that can happen?
A spanking from the admin?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
31-03-2011, 07:20 AM
(31-03-2011 12:14 AM)The_observer Wrote:  What's the worst that can happen?
A spanking from the admin?

Not fun from Unbeliever... lots of fun from Stark Raving.

Anyway, I remember seeing some of this on the PBS Nova special "The Bible's Buried Secrets" in which they discuss many things, including how there's zero physical evidence for the exodus, and little to no evidence of the massive military campaign of Joshua that's described in the Bible. And it also goes over some of the evidence that the ancient Hebrews were not monotheistic to begin with (probably the same stuff that was linked to earlier). It was a really good program, I think a couple of hours long maybe?

*edit: found the link: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bible/

On another semi-related note, I caught a brief part of "Bible Battles" on History International last night. The part I watched was regarding the fall of Jericho. It's so funny that History International will air a program in which the scholars point out how much of the story must be metaphorical because otherwise it doesn't make sense - then they discussed the slaughter of every living thing inside the city, carried out by those supposedly following God's orders. It was refreshing to see the Biblical scholar (don't remember his name) point out that this god, if he does exist, is obviously quite vicious and cruel. I don't think such a program would air on the regular History channel, which tends to gloss over such details.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
31-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot do not even compare to the viciousness and cruelty of god. But remember of course that is all old testament and the the new testament is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better Tongue

Evolve

Smartass
31-03-2011, 10:01 AM
(31-03-2011 07:37 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot do not even compare to the viciousness and cruelty of god. But remember of course that is all old testament and the the new testament is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better Tongue

Right! The New Testament is where we are introduced to the concept of the eternal torment of Hell! Sounds wonderful! Big Grin The only "good news" about the gospel is that none of it appears to be true.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
31-03-2011, 10:25 AM
*pulling out the leather belt*

That's enough of these shenanigans! LMAO

Seriously though, please feel free to add links to anything you find relevant! The only thing I ask is that you don't use the forum for advertising. We've even gotten rid of the "no links in your signature" rule, since we've upgraded the forum.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
31-03-2011, 10:46 AM
(31-03-2011 10:25 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  *pulling out the leather belt*

That's enough of these shenanigans! LMAO

Seriously though, please feel free to add links to anything you find relevant! The only thing I ask is that you don't use the forum for advertising. We've even gotten rid of the "no links in your signature" rule, since we've upgraded the forum.

Okay. Thanks for the info!

As far as the whole "hell" thing goes I have heard another argument from a christian *obviously* that someone who does not believe in god is in hell...I did not say it made sense I just said I heard it. If this is hell then I am loving it!

Evolve

Smartass
31-03-2011, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2011 11:38 AM by Efrx86.)
(31-03-2011 10:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Okay. Thanks for the info!

As far as the whole "hell" thing goes I have heard another argument from a christian *obviously* that someone who does not believe in god is in hell...I did not say it made sense I just said I heard it. If this is hell then I am loving it!

There's a very interesting video on youtube called "What if I'm wrong?" by user TheoreticalBullshit, regarding atheism and heaven/hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iClejS8vWjo

(googled link, can't access youtube on campus, I apologize in advance if that's the wrong link)

If you're "loving hell" you'll like the video. It's a dude (atheist, FYI) expressing his point of view. The vid's nearly 10 minutes long but IMO his reasoning is so flawless every second of it is enjoyable.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.