God's will and elections

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2016, 06:14 AM
God's will and elections
I know variations of this topic have been done before, but Rubio dropping out last night made me think of this. He said that it's not in God's plan for him to be president in 2016, or maybe ever. Why do non-Calvinist Christians say things like this?

Free will is huge part of their apologetics. It's used to explain evil and even certain amounts of suffering on earth, as well as the existence of hell. If they believe this, why would they think that God's will has any bearing on the democratic process?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2016, 06:21 AM
RE: God's will and elections
When something good happens - it's "God's will"....

Of course when something bad happens -- that's also "God's will"...

Conclusion -- God is an undecided cunt.

Funny that the morons worship such things....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-03-2016, 06:22 AM
(16-03-2016 06:14 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I know variations of this topic have been done before, but Rubio dropping out last night made me think of this. He said that it's not in God's plan for him to be president in 2016, or maybe ever. Why do non-Calvinist Christians say things like this?

Free will is huge part of their apologetics. It's used to explain evil and even certain amounts of suffering on earth, as well as the existence of hell. If they believe this, why would they think that God's will has any bearing on the democratic process?

Because most of the ones who subscribe to free will, would also be compatibilists.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
16-03-2016, 06:23 AM
It's better than admitting failure I guess.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
16-03-2016, 06:23 AM
(16-03-2016 06:14 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I know variations of this topic have been done before, but Rubio dropping out last night made me think of this. He said that it's not in God's plan for him to be president in 2016, or maybe ever. Why do non-Calvinist Christians say things like this?

An incoherent theology is, well, incoherent. It is rare to see a theist think through the implications and contradictions fully. Success in that endeavor usually results in an atheist.

Pro tip: There are no logically coherent theologies.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
16-03-2016, 07:01 AM

Back in December he stated that no matter what happens it is part of god's plan:

Marco Rubio: 9/11 terror attacks were part of God’s plan for the universe

Then in January he says he'll carry out god's plan if elected president:

If elected president, Marco Rubio promises to carry out God's plan

So you see, whatever Rubio does is part of god's plan.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-03-2016, 08:32 AM
There are dominionists like Cruz, who think God wants Christians in charge of the government. H won't interfere with people's choice, but he REALLY wants some stuff. And if the dominionists don't get their way it's because Satan.
16-03-2016, 08:56 AM
(16-03-2016 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  An incoherent theology is, well, incoherent. It is rare to see a theist think through the implications and contradictions fully. Success in that endeavor usually results in an atheist.

That's basically what happened to me.
16-03-2016, 09:03 AM
I was lying in a hospital bed suffering from a severe sickness. A preacher came to visit me and assured me that me being sick was part of God's plan. "So if a doctor helps me to heal that is fighting against God's plan?" I asked. He was taken aback, he'd presumably never heard a rebuttal of that nature.
[+] 4 users Like DerFish's post
16-03-2016, 09:08 AM
(16-03-2016 06:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Because most of the ones who subscribe to free will, would also be compatibilists.

I guess this technically answers the question of "why do they believe that?", even though compatibilism is just a label thrown around to obfuscate the mental gymnastics and evasion used to reconcile contradictory beliefs. "Compatibilism" also sounds more sexy than "cognitive dissonance".
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post