God's will and elections

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2016, 09:09 AM
RE: God's will and elections
(16-03-2016 09:03 AM)DerFish Wrote:  I was lying in a hospital bed suffering from a severe sickness. A preacher came to visit me and assured me that me being sick was part of God's plan. "So if a doctor helps me to heal that is fighting against God's plan?" I asked. He was taken aback, he'd presumably never heard a rebuttal of that nature.

"No, no. It was God's plan that you also see a doctor."

"That seems like a really round-about way to make me stay healthy..."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
16-03-2016, 09:36 AM

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
16-03-2016, 09:46 AM
(16-03-2016 09:09 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 09:03 AM)DerFish Wrote:  I was lying in a hospital bed suffering from a severe sickness. A preacher came to visit me and assured me that me being sick was part of God's plan. "So if a doctor helps me to heal that is fighting against God's plan?" I asked. He was taken aback, he'd presumably never heard a rebuttal of that nature.

"No, no. It was God's plan that you also see a doctor."

"That seems like a really round-about way to make me stay healthy..."

No matter what happens it's god's plan, huh? It's like god is the default position. One might as well be an atheist.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-03-2016, 01:11 PM
[Image: 7822602172a5fc1c42309ca4ed12d90a.jpg]

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
16-03-2016, 01:18 PM
Before the last big election all I heard was god is in control -- it didn't matter.

Then when Romney lost, it was all about god's plan.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-03-2016, 01:59 PM
(16-03-2016 06:23 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's better than admitting failure I guess.

I think this hits it on the head. If he fails, he doesn't have to take the blame and can live with the defeat by passing off his failures as god's will. If he wins, he'll thank god and take credit for himself. It's all part of their can't-lose philosophy.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
16-03-2016, 02:03 PM
(16-03-2016 01:59 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 06:23 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's better than admitting failure I guess.

I think this hits it on the head. If he fails, he doesn't have to take the blame and can live with the defeat by passing off his failures as god's will. If he wins, he'll thank god and take credit for himself. It's all part of their can't-lose philosophy.

Exactly. God is very convenient invention - he don't care for claiming credit for success and he is always there to take the blame when something go wrong.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
16-03-2016, 03:12 PM
I can't help but notice that God's "plan" appears to involve the majority of humans living in squalor and a thermonuclear arsenal that could eradicate all complex life.

Unless God really is inordinately fond of beetles and we're just stage one of the Great Cockroach Empire.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
16-03-2016, 03:19 PM
All I know is the bible says god will always choose the leaders he wants. So no matter who wins the christians wont complain.....
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
16-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Apparently it's "god's plan" for a failed real estate developer with a bad hairdo and an orange spray tan complexion to go toe to toe with a washed up political hack, who's resume lists "wife of cheating ex-president" as the high point of her working career.....................

Meaning that god has been watching too much bad daytime TV.....

I wish the omnipotent fuck would at least get cable......

Then maybe he'd come up with a better plan..............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post