God says I can kill my kids.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2015, 02:52 PM
RE: God says I can kill my kids.
Man's law supersedes god's law. Might not want to kill your kids.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2015, 03:05 PM
(03-02-2015 10:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Unevidenced claim.

I understand that you feel it is an unevidenced claim, however, the context of what the books teach sheds light on the practice and Israel as a theocracy.

Your point? The context does not matter - there is no evidence for your claim.
The Bible is the claim, it is not the evidence.

Quote:For another example, you've cited elsewhere at TTA the injustice of threatening people with hellfire or draconian punishments just like stoning. The problem, you'd say, is that though there isn't any god, religion shouldn't be used to threaten anyone. The context of the Mosaic Law is a people deeply religious and god-fearing. Any commentator would need to include that context in this discourse.

I do include it. I claim that those who believe and condone those punishments is religiously insane.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-02-2015, 04:38 PM
(03-02-2015 10:26 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I don't know what you mean by "once again".

I meant that once again, a theist has an apologetic answer for a sick law in their holy book.

(03-02-2015 10:26 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I think what I noticed in your post is that you find certain laws abhorrent and therefore, to be disobeyed.
You noticed wrong. You couldn't have missed the point more if you put Stevie Wonder behind an RPG launcher in Singapore and asked him to shoot someone in Denver.
04-02-2015, 10:17 AM
(03-02-2015 12:52 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Nice diversion there Q to get the topic off of that disgusting book of stories you struggle to defend.

Oh, and isn't the condemnation of homosexuality in the Mosaic law that we do not need to follow?

I think you may be mistaken if you think I want to turn TTA discussions away from the scriptures.

The Bible has 18 passages that mention homosexuality if memory serves for that number. None of them are laudatory. The NT repeats some of the OT prohibitions including homosexuality. Jesus when asked about marriage reaffirmed that marriage brings a man and a woman together like Adam and Eve.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2015, 10:27 AM
(04-02-2015 10:17 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 12:52 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Nice diversion there Q to get the topic off of that disgusting book of stories you struggle to defend.

Oh, and isn't the condemnation of homosexuality in the Mosaic law that we do not need to follow?

I think you may be mistaken if you think I want to turn TTA discussions away from the scriptures.

The Bible has 18 passages that mention homosexuality if memory serves for that number. None of them are laudatory. The NT repeats some of the OT prohibitions including homosexuality. Jesus when asked about marriage reaffirmed that marriage brings a man and a woman together like Adam and Eve.

The Bible condones polygamy, incest, infidelity...so let's not go cherry picking Q.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
04-02-2015, 10:30 AM
(04-02-2015 10:17 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

Q, God also told Hosea to marry two prostitutes. So, while he may not approve of homosexuality, he certainly does endorse prostitution and bigamy.

P.S.: I see you took my advice about changing your tagline. Now, you can tell lies to your heart's content!

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
04-02-2015, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 10:40 AM by Full Circle.)
A
(02-02-2015 02:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 07:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We all have heard the penalty of being stoned to death and if you’re like me you never really gave it much thought. I’ve never seen anyone stoned to death and for most of my life I had no visual concept of what it entailed or just how brutal it is. So allow me to give you a primer on this barbaric custom that the God of the OT likes to dish out so much.

[Image: Islam-StoningProcedure3.jpg]
[Image: Islam-StoningProcedure.jpg]
*Note: stonings can take from 20 minutes to 2 hours!

Very disturbing images follow:
[Image: bukhari_rajam_stoning.jpg]
[Image: 225942_2.jpg]
[Image: spectrum22_689125a1.jpg]
[Image: soraya01.png]
[Image: 6122e9513513a4f5cebb690f0beab80e.png]

Next time you read a passage from the Bible where it instructs a person to be stoned to death http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bibl...-to-Death/ keep these images in mind. Its in the Bible multiple times and either ordered or condoned by God.

Leviticus Chapter 20
1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever [he be] of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth [any] of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.

Leviticus 24:16
And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, [and] all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name [of the LORD], shall be put to death.

http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Stoning

Numbers 15:32-36
Now while the sons of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering wood on the sabbath day. Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation; and they put him in custody because it had not been declared what should be done to him. Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp." So all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death with stones, just as the LORD had commanded Moses.

The photos and infographic are indeed thought provoking but not the biblical stoning. As already described, an entire town does the stoning--it's not going to take two hours to bring someone into unconsciousness...

Oh in that case Q, this makes it perfectly humane and acceptable.

That you defend this in any way whatsoever is a clear indication to the dispicable lengths apologists go to in defending the Bible. You should apply for a job with ISIS.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-02-2015, 10:47 AM
(04-02-2015 10:30 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 10:17 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I think you may be mistaken if you think I want to turn TTA discussions away from the scriptures.

Q, God also told Hosea to marry two prostitutes. So, while he may not approve of homosexuality, he certainly does endorse prostitution and bigamy.

P.S.: I see you took my advice about changing your tagline. Now, you can tell lies to your heart's content!

Doc

God also had Sarah hand over Hagar to Abraham since she couldn't concieve. I guess condoned infidelity is OK as well.

04-02-2015, 10:47 AM
(04-02-2015 10:36 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  A
(02-02-2015 02:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The photos and infographic are indeed thought provoking but not the biblical stoning. As already described, an entire town does the stoning--it's not going to take two hours to bring someone into unconsciousness...

That you defend this in any way whatsoever is a clear indication to the dispicable lengths apologists go to in defending the Bible. You should apply for a job with ISIS.

They'd probably turn him down for being too cruel. Even ISIS does not justify killing their own children.

Doc
04-02-2015, 10:53 AM
(04-02-2015 10:47 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 10:36 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  A

They'd probably turn him down for being too cruel. Even ISIS does not justify killing their own children.

Doc

C'mon Doc, think of it as a community building exercise stoning people to death. Q would fit right in. They can all hold hands afterwards and sing Kumbaya while distributing the video footage.