Poll: Do you identify with the concept of a God-shaped vacuum?
Yes (even if you don't believe that a god is the answer to that vacuum)
No (WTF are you prattling on about now, EA?)
Never gave it much thought
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
God-shaped vacuum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2013, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2013 03:11 PM by Escape Artist.)
God-shaped vacuum?
Don't know if there's been a previous thread on this, but this was a concept I heard discussed a lot back when I was a Christian and honestly it's still something I can identify with. I still feel a longing for something more, something to fill up all those empty places inside my soul, something to finally make me stop wanting so much.

But... I wonder if this is not the case for everyone else? Is this just part of the idealist temperament? To wish for something better and to feel an almost-constant longing for it? Are more practical types less inclined to feel this "vacuum"?

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Also, if you do identify with this, why do you think it is that we have these longings? Where does that "aching" or "longing" feeling come from, physiologically speaking? Do you think that this feeling is necessary to our survival? As in, if we didn't long or want for more, we'd be inclined to just stagnate and not progress?

Thanks!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2013, 03:19 PM
RE: God-shaped vacuum?
(22-10-2013 03:05 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Don't know if there's been a previous thread on this, but this was a concept I heard discussed a lot back when I was a Christian and honestly it's still something I can identify with. I still feel a longing for something more, something to fill up all those empty places inside my soul, something to finally make me stop wanting so much.

But... I wonder if this is not the case for everyone else? Is this just part of the idealist temperament? To wish for something better and to feel an almost-constant longing for it? Are more practical types less inclined to feel this "vacuum"?

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Also, if you do identify with this, why do you think it is that we have these longings? Where does that "aching" or "longing" feeling come from, physiologically speaking? Do you think that this feeling is necessary to our survival? As in, if we didn't long or want for more, we'd be inclined to just stagnate and not progress?

Thanks!

education, its free, unlimited , new hobbies new people. The world is too f#@$%ing fantastic to be wasting time with fairy tales because they fill an uncertainty hole.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-10-2013, 03:23 PM
The peculiar thing being that this "hole" is only ever mentioned after it has been "filled." Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-10-2013, 03:24 PM
I know what you're talking about, but after much introspection, I realized it's not god shaped, it's knowledge shaped. I miss that idea that I actually had answers for everything and that the universe was all figured out and that we only needed to find out some bits and pieces.
Now I know that it's the opposite and it's kind of disappointing, it's like you had the knowledge for infinite energy and teleportation and you suddenly forget it, it's frustrating... But I rather know that I don't know than think I know what I don't actually know

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
22-10-2013, 03:43 PM
"Nature abhors a vacuum." - Aristotle.

Don't worry, it's all good EscapeArtist. Just be careful of filling it with the Gwynnies 'cause you might not ever make it out again. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
22-10-2013, 03:50 PM
This vacuum is godly. It sucks, and its super portable and light, I can take it anywhere! Its like its not even there!

Oh... you didn't mean vacuum cleaner.

I change my vote to no.
22-10-2013, 03:55 PM
God is only an idea. What do you think that idea was? Why did you hold to it? These things you have to ask for yourself.
Examples are of longing for something bigger than yourself or a feeling of closeness or security.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
22-10-2013, 06:05 PM
(22-10-2013 03:55 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  God is only an idea. What do you think that idea was? Why did you hold to it? These things you have to ask for yourself.
Examples are of longing for something bigger than yourself or a feeling of closeness or security.

That is the wanting of a child for a parent.
The longing for someone bigger to make you feel safe.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
22-10-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm resisting the urge to waste 2 hours photoshopping a beard onto a Dyson...

Seriously though it stems from a few places...Our tribal roots have long engrained a need to follow and to be part of a greater organization and more importantly the religious institutions have gone out of their way to instill the idea of the 'God shaped hole' into us, it's part of their marketing strategy and it works.

"You're not a whole person without God" is roughly the same as "You're not a man unless you use Axe deodorant" is roughly the same as "Aren't you tired of feeling like a sad blanket?"

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
22-10-2013, 07:05 PM
(22-10-2013 03:05 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I still feel a longing for something more, something to fill up all those empty places inside my soul, something to finally make me stop wanting so much.

1. Do you believe in a "Soul". Why or why not?

2. What is it exactly that you "want" so much?

(22-10-2013 03:05 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  But... I wonder if this is not the case for everyone else? Is this just part of the idealist temperament? To wish for something better and to feel an almost-constant longing for it? Are more practical types less inclined to feel this "vacuum"?

I feel a sense of constant longing for more favorable circumstances than I possess in the present. Even when I achieve a previously defined state of success, I then long for an even more successful state. My desire remains constant regardless of the circumstances.

(22-10-2013 03:05 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Also, if you do identify with this, why do you think it is that we have these longings?

My guess is that this sense is beneficial to my species and I physically. I am more likely to survive and reproduce if I seek out more favorable circumstances. If I survive and then reproduce my species will inherit my desire and benefit from it. The cycle will repeat, and strengthen the human race.

In short, Darwin's Natural Selection is a solid explanation.

(22-10-2013 03:05 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Do you think that this feeling is necessary to our survival? As in, if we didn't long or want for more, we'd be inclined to just stagnate and not progress?

Assuming Natural Selection explains this desire, it follows that it is necessary for our continued survival as a species. We know that all living things evolve and compete for survival, so it follows that any species unable or unwilling to adapt to its changing competition will more easily fail and become extinct.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx