Poll: Do you identify with the concept of a God-shaped vacuum?
Yes (even if you don't believe that a god is the answer to that vacuum)
No (WTF are you prattling on about now, EA?)
Never gave it much thought
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
God-shaped vacuum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: God-shaped vacuum?
(22-10-2013 03:05 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Don't know if there's been a previous thread on this, but this was a concept I heard discussed a lot back when I was a Christian and honestly it's still something I can identify with. I still feel a longing for something more, something to fill up all those empty places inside my soul, something to finally make me stop wanting so much.

But... I wonder if this is not the case for everyone else? Is this just part of the idealist temperament? To wish for something better and to feel an almost-constant longing for it? Are more practical types less inclined to feel this "vacuum"?

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Also, if you do identify with this, why do you think it is that we have these longings? Where does that "aching" or "longing" feeling come from, physiologically speaking? Do you think that this feeling is necessary to our survival? As in, if we didn't long or want for more, we'd be inclined to just stagnate and not progress?

Thanks!

Life's a piece of shit... when you look at it - Eric Idle

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2013, 08:11 AM

Find all posts by this user
24-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Why isn't my last post showing up? Censored

24-10-2013, 08:17 AM

24-10-2013, 08:18 AM
1. Do you believe in a "Soul". Why or why not?

I do not believe in a soul. Just on a layman's level, it's hard for me to see how there could be something in us that survives after death. Everything that we are, all that makes me who I am, is a product of physical processes and once those stop, so do I.

2. What is it exactly that you "want" so much?

Honestly? It'd be nice to reach a state of no longer wanting. That want registers as a type of pain, at least for me, and there are times when I wish it would just go away and never come back.

There are plenty of things I want - too many to list here, but the point is that you're always sitting there thinking, "Well, once I get or do this thing, then I'll be (perpetually) happy." That is faulty thinking, I know, but it is where my thoughts do go at times.

I feel a sense of constant longing for more favorable circumstances than I possess in the present. Even when I achieve a previously defined state of success, I then long for an even more successful state. My desire remains constant regardless of the circumstances.

Yes. It's this constant longing that I tire of. The way the god-shaped hole was described to me was that, once you had him, you wouldn't want for anything else. That, of course, was not true, but I still find myself yearning for something that would stop that constant longing.

24-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Jesus. Finally. lol

24-10-2013, 08:37 AM
(23-10-2013 11:11 AM)Skippy538 Wrote:  Oh, EA. Asking a bunch of silly men about an emotional experience of reality.

I could almost feel you patting my head as you said this. Big Grin I'll check those podcasts out.

(23-10-2013 11:46 AM)kim Wrote:  What HoC said... and what everybody else said, too.
Oh, and you're an addict. Ok, former addict.

You aren't an addict now, so you are realizing a lot more things about your self.
The thing is... when you were addicted, you didn't even realize there was such a thing as a self. You were all busy giving what there was of a self over to something that wasn't even there.
Then, there was only god; now, there is YOU. Much bigger, far more important, and much more lovable, in my opinion. Hug

I'm... an addict? I assume you mean I was addicted to the idea of god? Or of perfection? I'm a little confused, to be honest. But I see what you mean. I spent a lot of years putting myself on the back burner, too busy worrying about how to please others. Now I've gotta figure out what the hell I want out of life.

24-10-2013, 08:41 AM
(23-10-2013 11:46 AM)kim Wrote:  What HoC said...

And Kim, half the time I can't figure out what the heck HoC is talking about. I figure he's either very intelligent or just zeh master of bullshit. Big Grin

I love his little perma-scowl, though. ---> Dodgy

24-10-2013, 08:50 AM
(24-10-2013 08:41 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 11:46 AM)kim Wrote:  What HoC said...

And Kim, half the time I can't figure out what the heck HoC is talking about. I figure he's either very intelligent or just zeh master of bullshit. Big Grin

I love his little perma-scowl, though. ---> Dodgy

I think you are already on the path to HoC enlightenment. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Part of this is a result of your present condition at home. As that sorts itself out, the rest of this will ease off. IMHO.

Big Grin

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.