God stops watching for a day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2017, 04:24 AM
God stops watching for a day
This is a question for theists. Obviously our resident theists are welcome to answer, and it's also intended to be a possible talking point in future conversations with theists. What answers would you expect from various people?

What would you do if God stopped watching for a day? Assume, for the sake of the question, that God decides to pay no attention to anything that happens for 24 hours, and he will have no memory of it. So you will receive no credit from him for any "good" deed, nor will you held accountable for any "bad" deed.

Would you act any differently? If so, how?

I wonder if the idea of "God always watching" arose from the constant self-evaluation the conscience gives us, from which there is no hiding. Before such times as this was understood, it would have seemed magical in nature, I suppose.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
16-08-2017, 05:18 AM
RE: God stops watching for a day
An interesting concept, I presume for theists this falls into the "if god isn't real, what stops me from murdering everybody" type thing.

Maybe Theists would have a Purge or something.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
16-08-2017, 05:34 AM
(16-08-2017 05:18 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Maybe Theists would have a Purge or something.

I watched one earlier drive through a crowd.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
16-08-2017, 05:36 AM
(16-08-2017 04:24 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  This is a question for theists. Obviously our resident theists are welcome to answer, and it's also intended to be a possible talking point in future conversations with theists. What answers would you expect from various people?

What would you do if God stopped watching for a day? Assume, for the sake of the question, that God decides to pay no attention to anything that happens for 24 hours, and he will have no memory of it. So you will receive no credit from him for any "good" deed, nor will you held accountable for any "bad" deed.

Would you act any differently? If so, how?

I wonder if the idea of "God always watching" arose from the constant self-evaluation the conscience gives us, from which there is no hiding. Before such times as this was understood, it would have seemed magical in nature, I suppose.

Variation on the "If there was no God I'd be free to rape, kill, steal!" Temporal repercussions? They ignore those to make this specious argument.
16-08-2017, 06:09 AM
About the same effect when I stop watching TV for 24 hours.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
16-08-2017, 06:13 AM
(16-08-2017 06:09 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  About the same effect when I stop watching TV for 24 hours.

Fewer people die?

Fewer wars are fought?

Fewer crimes are committed?

Fewer tweets from the Twit?

Smartass
16-08-2017, 06:40 AM
(16-08-2017 05:18 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  An interesting concept, I presume for theists this falls into the "if god isn't real, what stops me from murdering everybody" type thing.

Maybe Theists would have a Purge or something.

Yeah, it's a variation on that, for which God continues to be real.

It's interesting, for the theists that claim they'd go on a rampage if they found out God was real: that means that the principles they live by only apply subject to the existence of a certain being. How could that possibly work? I guess it must be because the principles are, in such a case, only concerned with the opinion of that being. But those who leave religion tend to discover they were wrong.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
16-08-2017, 06:43 AM
Rob, mate, in Aussie speak:

"They're all fucked mate. Fucked in the head. Who gives a rat's arse?

Wanna go to the pub for a beer?"

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
16-08-2017, 07:01 AM
I always thought the whole God is always watching thing was used as a way to control the masses (more so later on). That way people don't get out of line. I think early on, when people were just coming into these ideas and were highly superstitious, when their crops didn't get rain or war broke out (all of these things due to God's wrath of course)...God must be pissed and have the ability to see all from his perch in heaven.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-08-2017, 09:37 AM
I stopped watching long ago. Wait, I can't remember ever watching.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post