God stops watching for a day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2017, 11:22 AM
RE: God stops watching for a day
"This is a question for theists. Obviously our resident theists are welcome to answer..."

Robvalue---is that a typo or am I confused?

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2017, 12:48 PM
(16-08-2017 09:37 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I stopped watching long ago. Wait, I can't remember ever watching.
That's only because you forgot where you put your glasses. This is what happens when you continue to have birthdays, especially unsupervised ones.
16-08-2017, 01:18 PM
(16-08-2017 12:48 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 09:37 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I stopped watching long ago. Wait, I can't remember ever watching.
That's only because you forgot where you put your glasses. This is what happens when you continue to have birthdays, especially unsupervised ones.

I can't read what you wrote. Somebody took my glasses.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-08-2017, 01:25 PM
(16-08-2017 11:22 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  "This is a question for theists. Obviously our resident theists are welcome to answer..."

We have at least a Calvinist who's not sure if he's "elect" or not, a Jew who didn't know he was a Jew until he was 47 yo, another Jew who's here because she likes TartarusSauce and is trying to cyber-stalk him even though the Jew hasn't been here in years, a Mormon who doesn't understand Mormonism, the prophet of the Paltrow, some guy who found God in a radio-free dead zone in the middle of the Mojave (that one actually makes sense to me), that Eastern-orthodox batshit Borg dude (wait, he might've been hemlocked), .... there are quite a few, more than you might think.

#sigh
16-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Rob... just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to be working on a degree in ethical philosophy right about now, would you? Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
16-08-2017, 04:50 PM
(16-08-2017 01:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Rob... just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to be working on a degree in ethical philosophy right about now, would you? Big Grin

Last I recall he was boning up on some professional accounting skills. ... Consider ... same thing I guess.

#sigh
16-08-2017, 05:12 PM
IF I was a theist, my response might be something like this...

"That experiment was already done...in genesis. God left just 2 people with one temptation and look what happened."

Then I would say... "therefore this teaches us that if god turns away from you, you must still follow his word for it is a test, and you must always be righteous because god will someday look back at us and judge us even for the things we have done in his absence."

Then I might even talk about "Mother Theresa" and even though it seemed there was a time when she wasn't sure if god existed she still held her faith in him...

uh...excuse..me for just a sec...I've just got to go over here and Rainbow Vomit

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
16-08-2017, 06:46 PM
(16-08-2017 04:24 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  This is a question for theists. Obviously our resident theists are welcome to answer, and it's also intended to be a possible talking point in future conversations with theists. What answers would you expect from various people?

What would you do if God stopped watching for a day? Assume, for the sake of the question, that God decides to pay no attention to anything that happens for 24 hours, and he will have no memory of it. So you will receive no credit from him for any "good" deed, nor will you held accountable for any "bad" deed.

Would you act any differently? If so, how?

I wonder if the idea of "God always watching" arose from the constant self-evaluation the conscience gives us, from which there is no hiding. Before such times as this was understood, it would have seemed magical in nature, I suppose.

YOur idea reminds me of something i tried with my second wife. Would you give me just one day without attacking me for anything? ANd after one day maybe we can work our way up to one day every week.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
16-08-2017, 09:03 PM
(16-08-2017 01:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 11:22 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  "This is a question for theists. Obviously our resident theists are welcome to answer..."

We have at least a Calvinist who's not sure if he's "elect" or not, a Jew who didn't know he was a Jew until he was 47 yo, another Jew who's here because she likes TartarusSauce and is trying to cyber-stalk him even though the Jew hasn't been here in years, a Mormon who doesn't understand Mormonism, the prophet of the Paltrow, some guy who found God in a radio-free dead zone in the middle of the Mojave (that one actually makes sense to me), that Eastern-orthodox batshit Borg dude (wait, he might've been hemlocked), .... there are quite a few, more than you might think.

We also have the occasional visit from the theist in a foxhole, the super-cool professor theist...

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
17-08-2017, 01:32 AM

No typo, we do have a few theists who hang around here, if that's what you meant?

(16-08-2017 04:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 01:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Rob... just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to be working on a degree in ethical philosophy right about now, would you? Big Grin

Last I recall he was boning up on some professional accounting skills. ... Consider ... same thing I guess.

Lol I am a bit obsessed with this stuff huh Big Grin

Yup, I am in fact working on my diploma in accounting. I've nearly finished, one more unit to go! You'll never guess what that last unit is, I shit you not: professional ethics!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user