God stops watching for a day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2017, 08:33 PM
RE: God stops watching for a day
(17-08-2017 01:32 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Yup, I am in fact working on my diploma in accounting. I've nearly finished, one more unit to go! You'll never guess what that last unit is, I shit you not: professional ethics!

Aha! I suspected that on some level you were tapping us to help with your homework. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
17-08-2017, 08:46 PM
God stops watching for a day
(16-08-2017 04:24 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  This is a question for theists. Obviously our resident theists are welcome to answer, and it's also intended to be a possible talking point in future conversations with theists. What answers would you expect from various people?

What would you do if God stopped watching for a day? Assume, for the sake of the question, that God decides to pay no attention to anything that happens for 24 hours, and he will have no memory of it. So you will receive no credit from him for any "good" deed, nor will you held accountable for any "bad" deed.

Would you act any differently? If so, how?

I wonder if the idea of "God always watching" arose from the constant self-evaluation the conscience gives us, from which there is no hiding. Before such times as this was understood, it would have seemed magical in nature, I suppose.

Don’t know. I barely understand the question.

Perhaps the idea of God who stops watching, might make sense if people imagine God like a vigilant mall security assigned to keep watch over the plethora of camera and monitors. Or an invisible eavesdropper.

I doubt many people do, even among those of us who believe in Gods omniscience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
17-08-2017, 11:45 PM
(17-08-2017 08:33 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 01:32 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Yup, I am in fact working on my diploma in accounting. I've nearly finished, one more unit to go! You'll never guess what that last unit is, I shit you not: professional ethics!

Aha! I suspected that on some level you were tapping us to help with your homework. Wink

I wish Wink This ethics unit is boring as fuck. It's a mixture of absurdly simple principles, and pointless memorization of loads of organizations.

John is an accountant. He is faced with a simple ethical dilemma in his accounting. Should John:

(1) Be stupid
(2) Be a cunt
(3) Be a stupid cunt
(4) Do the obviously correct thing

(17-08-2017 08:46 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 04:24 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  This is a question for theists. Obviously our resident theists are welcome to answer, and it's also intended to be a possible talking point in future conversations with theists. What answers would you expect from various people?

What would you do if God stopped watching for a day? Assume, for the sake of the question, that God decides to pay no attention to anything that happens for 24 hours, and he will have no memory of it. So you will receive no credit from him for any "good" deed, nor will you held accountable for any "bad" deed.

Would you act any differently? If so, how?

I wonder if the idea of "God always watching" arose from the constant self-evaluation the conscience gives us, from which there is no hiding. Before such times as this was understood, it would have seemed magical in nature, I suppose.

Don’t know. I barely understand the question.

Perhaps the idea of God who stops watching, might make sense if people imagine God like a vigilant mall security assigned to keep watch over the plethora of camera and monitors. Or an invisible eavesdropper.

I doubt many people do, even among those of us who believe in Gods omniscience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, let's try another way. Do you think you are accountable to God for all your actions? If so, how would you act differently if you were not accountable for a day?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2017, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2017 12:29 AM by GirlyMan.)
(17-08-2017 11:45 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 08:33 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Aha! I suspected that on some level you were tapping us to help with your homework. Wink

I wish Wink This ethics unit is boring as fuck. It's a mixture of absurdly simple principles, and pointless memorization of loads of organizations.

John is an accountant. He is faced with a simple ethical dilemma in his accounting. Should John:

(1) Be stupid
(2) Be a cunt
(3) Be a stupid cunt
(4) Do the obviously correct thing

My brother was an actuary at a major life insurance company who gave that very response after he properly applied Dodd-Frank to the books and they asked him to sign off on some contrary and baseless numbers. He went on to become the chief actuary at one of their major competitors shortly before shit hit the fan and AIG went all socks and titties up. Smart man, my brother.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post