God the Mother

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2015, 01:25 AM
RE: God the Mother
(22-01-2015 06:35 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  If I was Christian they would have had me convinced, apparently the Bible states that Jerusalem is the the wife of god and that when she gets married the world will end...

I've heard of many things that "end after marriage" but this does seem to be a bit of an overreaction. Wink

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
23-01-2015, 06:51 AM
(22-01-2015 07:43 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 07:16 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Who's Asherah?

Wife of YHWH, according to some old scrolls. Not included in the Bible, obviously.

The bible does mention asherah poles though so they didn't cut her out completely.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
23-01-2015, 09:16 AM
(23-01-2015 12:00 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 11:06 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  I had the JW at my door last week. They left after the first answer to their first question. Rather quickly to.

What was the question and your response?
They asked if I was a Christian. My answer was one word, No. It was my tone and demeanor that convinced them I was dead serious. I not kidding they walked away without another word.
[+] 1 user Likes Jack_Ripper's post
23-01-2015, 09:27 AM
(22-01-2015 06:35 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  apparently the Bible states that Jerusalem is the the wife of god and that when she gets married the world will end (and you ladies thought you had a rough marriage?).

So the current situation with Jerusalem being controlled by Israel but occupied by Jews, Muslims, and Christians is just that one last gang-bang before the wedding/end of the world? Sounds about right to me.
23-01-2015, 05:00 PM
(23-01-2015 09:16 AM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 12:00 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  What was the question and your response?
They asked if I was a Christian. My answer was one word, No. It was my tone and demeanor that convinced them I was dead serious. I not kidding they walked away without another word.

I told them that I'm atheist, but I do enjoy learning about other cultures and religions, which is why I let them talk. I just wish they could answer my questions Sad

Atir aissom atir imon
23-01-2015, 05:05 PM
(23-01-2015 09:27 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 06:35 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  apparently the Bible states that Jerusalem is the the wife of god and that when she gets married the world will end (and you ladies thought you had a rough marriage?).

So the current situation with Jerusalem being controlled by Israel but occupied by Jews, Muslims, and Christians is just that one last gang-bang before the wedding/end of the world? Sounds about right to me.

Ever hear of a bachelorette party? Wink

Nah, but they talking about Jerusalem being a name, not the physical place. Kinda hard to remember exactly. They said 'The Mother' was another form of God. So I asked if it was another part of the Trinity, to which they said no. So I said then she is her own god right? So are you guys polytheistic? They said no to that too, and said something about me not being on the same level of understanding about 'The God', but they would love to show me some other time...

Atir aissom atir imon
23-01-2015, 05:07 PM
When they come to my house, I tell them they aren't educated enough to talk to me and to send back their elders.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2015, 06:29 PM
(22-01-2015 07:43 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 07:16 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Who's Asherah?

Wife of YHWH, according to some old scrolls. Not included in the Bible, obviously.

Wife/Sister/Consort/Daughter/etc (all the old gods are like that with each other) of the old Semitic pantheon boss El. At least in early (pre-collapse) Semitic sources (ie Ugarit). Often latterly syncretised if not outright conflated with Ashtarot (cf Ishtar), another prominent female deity - associated with Hadad or Melqart, if anyone.
(further confused with Tanit in the Carthaginian days, but then associated with Hammon, the evolution of El, except sometimes not, because Melqart was often at least as prominent in other western Canaanite colonies... ancient religion is a mess)

The later Jewish "God" is himself a syncretic figure in any case.

Long story short, just one of many polytheistic traces that the pre-modern Biblical copy editors couldn't excise.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
23-01-2015, 07:16 PM
(23-01-2015 06:29 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 07:43 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Wife of YHWH, according to some old scrolls. Not included in the Bible, obviously.

Wife/Sister/Consort/Daughter/etc (all the old gods are like that with each other) of the old Semitic pantheon boss El. At least in early (pre-collapse) Semitic sources (ie Ugarit). Often latterly syncretised if not outright conflated with Ashtarot (cf Ishtar), another prominent female deity - associated with Hadad or Melqart, if anyone.
(further confused with Tanit in the Carthaginian days, but then associated with Hammon, the evolution of El, except sometimes not, because Melqart was often at least as prominent in other western Canaanite colonies... ancient religion is a mess)

The later Jewish "God" is himself a syncretic figure in any case.

Long story short, just one of many polytheistic traces that the pre-modern Biblical copy editors couldn't excise.

I figured it had something to do with that when they started quoting passages where God spoke as "our". Just don't know much about this history to be honest.

Atir aissom atir imon
25-01-2015, 11:11 AM
this came to mind after reading the title

[Image: 24136.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post