God the absolute truth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2012, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2012 12:08 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: God the absolute truth
So, I've been having a discussion with a really bright lady on YouTube. We have been talking about "reification", and the Reification Fallacy. The OP of this thread, and the statement that there is a "goal" for "life", (which are themselves other examples), and that there is "absolute truth", are all examples of the Reification fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification

We would not be talking about "god(s), (or "goals", or "absolutes") if our brains had not developed language patterns, and abilities, in very specific ways. Have you ever actually seen a "goal" ? Nope. It's a construct, which in 100% dependent on, (and does NOT exist apart from), human language. (as does "meaning", and "purpose", for example).

Also one of the unexamined, (silent) premises of this thread, is that god(s) exist "in realtionship" to somethings, ((absolute) truth). (Is there a form of "truth" that is NOT "absolute" ?) If the god IS God, then the god *has* to BE, "absolute truth. But the very notion implies a comparison to a standard, which MUST exist apart from the god, OR the statement is just the same as : "god is god".

Since this bullshit thread has gone nowhere, maybe I'll start one, and post a link to it.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...n-language

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Quote:DLJ
b) Why have you made a leap to atheism? Your earlier comment didn't mention it. I thought you were talking astrophysics and evolution... I see no connection to atheism.

b) Is Atheism testable or a choice?

DLJ :___________________________

I hope you are not evading the truth like a politician does, if you do we can call this forum the "The Evasive Atheist".
17-10-2012, 03:43 PM
(17-10-2012 03:41 PM)Janus VI Wrote:  
b) Why have you made a leap to atheism? Your earlier comment didn't mention it. I thought you were talking astrophysics and evolution... I see no connection to atheism.

I hope you are not evading the truth like a politician does, if you do we can call this forum the "The Evasive Atheist".

That question doesn't even make sense.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-10-2012, 04:26 PM
(17-10-2012 03:41 PM)Janus VI Wrote:  

Atheism is a default. It is a word that only exists because of religion. You are born "atheist." You do not know or understand the concept of any God or religion. These things are taught to you. If you become a theist, you may later chose to stop being a theist.

Theism is testable. If it fails the test, you stop being a theist.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
17-10-2012, 04:36 PM
(17-10-2012 04:26 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Atheism is a default. It is a word that only exists because of religion. You are born "atheist." You do not know or understand the concept of any God or religion. These things are taught to you. If you become a theist, you may later chose to stop being a theist.

Evasive?

Yes or no

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
17-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Chas and guitar_nut are correct.

Are you evading my question, J6?

17-10-2012, 04:44 PM
(17-10-2012 04:36 PM)Janus VI Wrote:  
(17-10-2012 04:26 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Atheism is a default. It is a word that only exists because of religion. You are born "atheist." You do not know or understand the concept of any God or religion. These things are taught to you. If you become a theist, you may later chose to stop being a theist.
Evasive?
Yes or no

I have not evaded anything. There's nothing to evade. You don't understand atheism. You're question is worded in a way that shows me you don't understand it; it's complete nonsense. It's like asking "What does time taste like?" You can't answer that question. Not because you're being evasive, but because IT'S NONSENSE.

Name one thing that I said above that is incorrect, and why. Or be evasive. Your choice.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
17-10-2012, 04:46 PM
(17-10-2012 03:41 PM)Janus VI Wrote:  b) Is Atheism testable or a choice?

You have made no progress in 34 pages. I'm outta here.

[Image: tumblr_lk5tyfa6nw1qcz1gq.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
17-10-2012, 04:53 PM
(17-10-2012 04:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Chas and guitar_nut are correct.

Are you evading my question, J6?

d) Please explain how "life around you" is evidence for your earlier statements.

Let me help you understand life around you:
The PURPOSE of life is to pass on our DNA
The MEANING of life is the experience of living
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind

For how long?
Forever

How much of the universe does life want to cover?
All

If you disagree give us your estimate of time and percentage of the universe conscious life wants to cover?
17-10-2012, 06:04 PM
(14-10-2012 08:51 AM)Janus VI Wrote:  
(12-10-2012 03:34 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Janus for the sake of argument let's pretend your premises are true. How does it follow from your premises that god is the absolute truth?

The Omega Point as this supreme point of complexity and consciousness. Here we find a being with the characteristics we understand God have. Capable to control time and space and be in the entire universe at all times.

The other option for the future of the universe is that inert matter wills the only object in the universe.

If we select the second option as the absolute truth, evolution will get rid of us and create another being that will not see 3.5 billion years of evolution as a waste of time.

Well at least that's a new perspective on god, but wouldn't temporal contradictions pop up?

Such as altering the timeline accidentally removing the evolutionary path to it's ascendance.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp