Godel's Incompleteness theorem and god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 11:45 PM
RE: Godel's Incompleteness theorem and god
It's a bastardized explanation of Godel's Incompleteness Theorems that's the typical claptrap of trying to make something sciencey-sounding look like it proves religion. The second sentence is a lie. Godel's Incompleteness Theorems apply only to mathematical logic. Extending them outside of that is as wrong as using a ruler to measure air pressure.

There's a funnier way to deal with this nonsense though.

Write the word "Universe" and draw a circle around it. Write the word "God" outside the circle.

Draw a circle around "God" and "Universe" and ask the theist how they know of this "God". Enjoy the impending special pleading.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
04-01-2017, 06:48 AM
(03-01-2017 11:43 AM)Anti-stupidity Wrote:  I found this site while googling, evidence for god, and found a logical argument for god. Heard of this one before, I know I haven't. https://www.perrymarshall.com/articles/r...s-theorem/

Also, first time being on this blog and am eager.

You had very smart start, Yes
so, thank you, Anti-stupidity!

Smartass
04-01-2017, 06:51 AM
Check this out.

I see the username Anti-stupidity and the last post by The bored.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
04-01-2017, 10:42 AM
(03-01-2017 11:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 11:43 AM)Anti-stupidity Wrote:  I found this site while googling, evidence for god, and found a logical argument for god. Heard of this one before, I know I haven't. https://www.perrymarshall.com/articles/r...s-theorem/

I think people conflate Gödel's brilliant work on the foundations of mathematics with his misguided ontological proof.

The Incompleteness Theorems are a work of genius. His 'ontological proof', not so much.

Guess I'll give "The Jolly Coroner" a read. Thumbsup

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
04-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Borg's calling the argument smart. That's the worst excoriation it could get right there.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
04-01-2017, 02:03 PM
(04-01-2017 12:08 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Borg's calling the argument smart. That's the worst excoriation it could get right there.

[Image: KiGu09a.jpg]
04-01-2017, 02:49 PM

Godel's theorem really is about the impossibility of absolute knowledge claims. One can take entirely reasonable and justified belief positions without making absolute knowledge claims. One only has to have a roughly accurate assessment of a given truth probability.

Uncertainty and lack of utility, however, are often confused by theists, particularly conservative ones, who are obsessed with being what they regard as incontrovertibly "right". To them, uncertainty is intolerable and they must find certitude at all costs.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
04-01-2017, 08:02 PM
It's more than a little ironic on several levels that theists should be using Godel's proof that absolute knowledge is unobtainable to demonstrate the existence of their god.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
04-01-2017, 09:21 PM
(04-01-2017 02:49 PM)mordant Wrote:  

Godel's theorem really is about the impossibility of absolute knowledge claims. One can take entirely reasonable and justified belief positions without making absolute knowledge claims. One only has to have a roughly accurate assessment of a given truth probability.

Uncertainty and lack of utility, however, are often confused by theists, particularly conservative ones, who are obsessed with being what they regard as incontrovertibly "right". To them, uncertainty is intolerable and they must find certitude at all costs.

Bolding mine. Even if they have to take it from some authority figure, for their particular stripe of faith.
05-01-2017, 11:26 AM
(04-01-2017 08:02 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  It's more than a little ironic on several levels that theists should be using Godel's proof that absolute knowledge is unobtainable to demonstrate the existence of their god.

It doesn't say that. It says that any system of knowledge of the complexity of arithmetic cannot be complete within that system, that is using only the rules of that system.

It is complete knowledge that is denied, not absolute knowledge. And this only applies to formal systems.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user