Godless Bitches

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2012, 11:39 AM
RE: Godless Bitches
The main thing you're missing Leela is how these things work out over time. Tradition is the general go to for people. The LGBT community has had to make strides for every little bit they won. Just because something is understood and accepted doesn't mean the next thing is going to be more obvious. It's just like someone who thinks that it's perfectly fine for someone to be transsexual but they better not use the bathroom. You should fully understand the validity of cognitive dissonance, this is something that you can't stop going after.

And as far as acting like the fights should be pushed to the areas we see as more wrong. What good is an american with ideas going to do in Syria? The fight to a large extent needs to be based at home. People care more about opinions made by neighbours than by foreign powers. What an American can do to help China though is to help push the global view. The world is not completely out of the country boundary system but there is an importance to the global market and social system. Fighting in your home country effects other countries nowadays due to all the bonds we carry through things like the internet. For instance my discussion of how I am can lead to someone in a more dangerous area feeling more prepared to make a similar statement. Activism should not be confined to what the general public sees as wrong. There is plenty to work at, and working at all the different angles is a way to help minimize the number of problems.

The general public has the view that the sensationalist feminist is the average feminist. Maybe check it out and see if you might kind of think of things off. Everyone gets confused about a few things. I had a hard time with transvestites for a long time. I would definitely say that you will agree with a lot of what they say from what I know about you. Maybe accept that you might be reacting negatively to something that doesn't quite deserve it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Lilith, I know that I might be a bit biased (chose correct word?) and that is why I actually said that the one member that I know of the godless bitches, I liked her, I liked what she had to say and how she said it, I find her generally smart and positive.
But the label "feminist" has a very negative image to me and that is why I don't like it. Feminists have had too much negative attention because most of those appearing publicly give this movement a bad image. At least those I ever heard, saw, listened to.

I am all for fighting for ones rights, and so on, I get your point that people care more about what the neighbour says so let me work with that and just keep the example Egypt.
Women have next to no rights there but there is a little movement and during the last 20 or so years they got the right to divorce if there is a severe reason (abuse) that can be proven although in case of divorce the woman will lose everything including her kids, and they may work if the husband allows. This does not sound like much but actually it is a lot in a country like that.
Now say some international women AND MEN come over, start living there, they stay inside the laws but they show how much not of a deal it is to let your woman live and be happy, this is something the local families will see, especially when these people appear on tv every now and then. And as long as those international people stay friendly, open, and within social norms and laws, they will have a positive impact. That is the seed that such countries need.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2012, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2012 01:53 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Yeah biased is the correct word there. And as far as international outreach I understand what you're saying, but the way you said it in the previous post was basically suggesting something like; More trans are killed in Venezuela so if I want to advocate the rights of trans people I should move to Venezuela and step into harms way in order to make sure that I am pushing at the more immediate threat. I personally have no desire to go somewhere, because I'm more likely to be killed for dong what I do there, and to say that I'm not really doing enough unless I do is asking activists to be martyrs. You should know that the media is a dog and pony show, almost everything is played to the sensationalist portion. The term feminist is an equality term more than an exclusivity term and it's labeled feminism because to a large degree in the division of sexes women are left behind. It's about gender rights more than anything else which is why the trans community has become a huge component of it. That women sometimes coopt it into suggesting that it's about women's isues doesn't change the idea behind it.

Also in the OP I informed everyone that I avoided this podcast for a long time due to the word bitch. My bias towards cats is just as much to blame here =P

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
17-07-2012, 02:47 PM
alright, I'll listen to one or two next weekend Wink

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Yay!!!!

17-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm a godless son of a bitch. Does this count for anything?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
17-07-2012, 08:11 PM
According to Matt Dillahunty he was a godless bitch simply for talking during the show, I'd say the distinction is arbitrary =p

17-07-2012, 09:23 PM
I can't stand listening to their show, even if Beth Presswood sounds like my Ozark relatives. These women really, really hate the fact that sexual relations with men can make them pregnant, which tells me that they have grievances against biology, not just against religious beliefs and authorities.
18-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Haven't ran into a huge rant on the problem of babies yet. Ran into a rant on the fact that first encounters just aren't as likely to be pleasureable for women. Maybe I'll see what you're talking about later on. Or just key me into which has the rant that bothered you so much.

18-07-2012, 05:56 AM
(18-07-2012 04:54 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Haven't ran into a huge rant on the problem of babies yet. Ran into a rant on the fact that first encounters just aren't as likely to be pleasureable for women. Maybe I'll see what you're talking about later on. Or just key me into which has the rant that bothered you so much.
I know what he is referring to. I don't know what show/shows exactly but the topic has come up a bit in episodes I've listened to lately.

The real issue they are arguing isn't that sex can make you pregnant, huh ha, it is against the conservative argument that willingly having sex means you signed away your right say the pregnancy is unwanted. It's not the main focus but it is the realm of the arguments used against abortion.

There are several arguments they brought up against that claim and some analogies that may seem extreme. So I know why someone would be annoyed by that, but I do think their position is justified. They had heavily argued the right of a woman's organs and use body are not to be stricken from them; even one time the comment was made comparing how a fetus is for all definitional purposes, a parasite on the body of a woman.

The analogy I side more with, is how they compare it to saying, getting into a car and driving is agreeing to the possibility that you can get into a car crash. If you consider it that doing an action that can lead to something, especially if you are not safe, then you are signing up to being okay with the consequence happening, you have signed up for an awful lot by just living

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson