• 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Lightbulb Godless group sues for bus advertisement space
Arkansas!
Third hole to the left of the big ol' buckle in the Bible belt! Tongue

June 1st, 2011
Staks Rosch

Atheism Examiner

The Central Arkansas Transit Authority (CATA) is refusing to allow the advertisement for the Central Arkansas Coalition of Reason (CentralArkansasCoR), which is an umbrella group for 10 atheist and humanist groups in the area. The controversial advertisement was to be placed on the sides of 18 buses serving Riverfest, would have said: "Are you good without God? Millions are." A blue sky with clouds was to be the background behind the words. (Full Article)
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
RE: Godless group sues for bus advertisement space
The only thing I can say is 1st amendment. If it's a state run service then they just violated it. No question about it.
I don't get these arguments. It's an opinion. Deal with it - or are your own arguments too weak to survive in the real world ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2011, 04:46 PM
I've lived here my whole life. Why have I never heard of these people??? I actually would have gone to Riverfest just to have the pleasure of riding those buses if it had worked out. I'm not surprised it didn't though.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony
02-06-2011, 05:00 PM

I'm hoping there's no one here with the same surname however, the author of this follow up piece makes me think the only thing worse, is if their parents thought "Richard" sounded quaint.

KUAR FM 89
Arkansas Atheist Group Claims CATA Asked For $36K Damage Deposit
By Ron Breeding

It's not all that surprising, though it is damn frustrating. The most zealous Fundy will stand behind the first Amendment in order to install their mythology into any area of secular society they can find to penetrate. They'll scream first Amendment when they try and try to make prayer in school part of graduation.
And yet, for atheists they'll do anything they can to deny the first Amendment right, if not outright so they then challenge their victim(s) to take it to court, then by allegedly pricing access to speak not so freely, well out of reason. Not to mention, precluding someone's right to be free of religion, when atheists think to advertise free thought and freedom from fable as readily as god believers have boldly sold their self-deprecating slave myth for generations.
Tracts in toilets! Now that's damn desperate to sell Jesus, when someone's coping a pee.

Hey Susan, how did you find your way to church?
In the Stall at JC Penney's after eating a bad burrito from the food court that decided to make me pay penance with the runs. And you? Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Is it just me or did that article mention the possibility of 'upstanding citizens' throwing 'Molotov cocktails' at the buses? Surely an offence of vandalism/arson/criminal damage/endangerment of life/murder would discount someone as an 'upstanding citizen' or does the term have a totally different meaning on your side of the Atlantic.

It also sounds like total BS that they never wanted to place the ads and just wanted publicity. I kinda get the impression that the ridiculous deposit was just a way to prevent the ads.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.