GodlessIrish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2010, 12:10 AM

GodlessIrish
Hi everyone!

I've been following TTA on YouTube since Suzie but decided tonight, out of boredom, to check out the website. I didn't realise there was such a big forum here so I decided to join up and have a bit of a chat!

I'm 23 and I'm from Dublin, Ireland. Been a member of Atheist Ireland for 2 years (since its official setup) and try to get involved in campaigns to create a more secular nation for current and future generations.

As for my story, I've been an atheist since the day I was born. There was never a time that I believed in a god despite being raised in a Catholic home. I went to church every Sunday with my family but never really bought into the whole thing. I wasn't the most inquisitive minded young chap, my lack of belief really just stemmed from a complete lack of interest. I prayed once or twice, usually late at night when I couldn't sleep, which usually involved the sentence, "God, if you exist, can you give me <insert superpower>." To this day I have not been granted the power to become invisible, so I think that that answers that question. I was baptised, had my communion and confirmation, all of which I saw as simply tradition rather than the religious ceremony that it was. On the day of my confirmation, aged 12, I walked up to the bishop to receive my confirmation and whispered to him that I didn't actually believe in god, to which he kindly replied that it was ok and I simply returned to my spot. So I can never really say that I've ever had a negative experience with religion.

It wasn't until I was in my late teens that I started to properly question the whole god concept and the role of religion in my life and the world around me. I was lucky enough to go to one of only a few secular secondary schools in Ireland at the time so as a teenager I had a very unbiased approach to religion. By the time I was 15, my attendance to mass was only at Christmas and, giving the impression that I was simply giving my seat up to older people, I would sneak out the door within the first 5 minutes and go to the pub for a coke where I would find my dad having a pint. He had always told us that he was parking the car and was then standing at the back of the church, but I never gave up his secret.

When I was 21 I told my mum that I was an atheist and still to this day she thinks that its just a phase of teenage rebellion. I've talked to my sister and dad about religion and god and both have non-theistic views but refuse to admit that they're atheists. My mum is the only religious person in the house but is by no means conservative.

Well thats about it. I enjoy science and art, I think they're two subjects that rarely placed together even though I think that they make quite a good pair. I enjoy film making and teach Photoshop classes in a University as well as working in a photography studio.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm always open about everything and I hope to become a productive member of your community.

Rob.
Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2010, 12:16 AM

RE: GodlessIrish
That's awesome!! I've always wanted to go to Ireland. It looks like such a beautiful country.

Welcome to the forum godlessirish Smile
30-12-2010, 01:18 AM
(30-12-2010 12:10 AM)godlessirish Wrote:  I prayed once or twice, usually late at night when I couldn't sleep, which usually involved the sentence, "God, if you exist, can you give me <insert superpower>."

By the time I was 15, my attendance to mass was only at Christmas and, giving the impression that I was simply giving my seat up to older people, I would sneak out the door within the first 5 minutes and go to the pub for a coke where I would find my dad having a pint. He had always told us that he was parking the car and was then standing at the back of the church, but I never gave up his secret.
This is H I L A R I O U S! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2010, 03:53 AM
Ah. who need god when there is Guinness?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
30-12-2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the welcomes! Yes, it was a typical Irish thing, a true father-son bonding experience over religion and alcohol. Tongue
30-12-2010, 01:21 PM
That part about your dad in the pub is just priceless.

I'm also a fellow Photoshop user, actually Graphic Designer by trade. Welcome to the forum!

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
30-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I got my super powers I prayed for... If being devilishly handsome can be considered a super power... although I don't actually remember praying for it...

Anyways welcome! Thank you for the interesting read.