Yes
No
[Show Results]

Gods and Magic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Information Gods and Magic
GOD, I'm in need of something interesting to read. Please entertain me.... Angel

Question is: Are gods a subset of magic?

Part of my reason why I don't even take the notion of gods as a serious argument is because I view gods as a subset of magic, and I reject magic as being part of existence (from what I understand about existence).

Hoping to hear some people's thoughts and opinions.

Cool

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2014, 11:39 AM
RE: Gods and Magic
If we need a definition of magic, I suppose this is as good as any: "The power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces."

22-07-2014, 12:05 PM
(22-07-2014 11:39 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  If we need a definition of magic, I suppose this is as good as any: "The power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces."

I don't know if that's an adequate definition. If a magic genie blinks a martini into your hand, they have created something from nothing. It doesn't really have a major impact on events per-se.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
22-07-2014, 12:12 PM
(22-07-2014 12:05 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I don't know if that's an adequate definition. If a magic genie blinks a martini into your hand, they have created something from nothing. It doesn't really have a major impact on events per-se.
Sure it does, it had an impact on the event of you having a martini!

But yeah, it isn't the best definition of "magic". And I was really close to just typing out my own...but I figure that magic should be such a wide-spread concept that it shouldn't need a definition. But I also know people like to play word games so I decided, "Hell, may as well include something."

22-07-2014, 12:12 PM
But maybe declaring any event that does not have a perceived natural explanation as a miracle or magic would suffice.

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
22-07-2014, 12:17 PM
My own definition would probably have to do with phenomena that actually break understood (by modern society/science) laws of reality. But even that route will lead to an imperfect definition that is easy to nitpick at. I have a bit of "faith" that the commonfolk here will understand what I mean by "magic".

22-07-2014, 12:23 PM
If you define magic as anything supernatural and defies the laws of science then yes.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
22-07-2014, 12:42 PM
I think they're interchangeable, god is magical. Basically a perception of a miraculous event is dependent on the person seeing the event as unexplainable. So there is an inherent ignorance involved in interpreting miraculous events. God=magic=ignorance.

22-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Well, I was hoping for some disagreement here....Oh well Sad.

22-07-2014, 04:09 PM
I put no - to my mind Gods are not a subset of magic because apart from anything else, magic was often attributed to those who are not godly so in many cultures it could be described as a human trait...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g