Goethe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Goethe
I am a member of the local Goethe Institute which put on a few films each year in the nearby UN buffer zone. I found this Youtube discussion of his philosophy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZlCJZEkAPk

It's a very good explanation of his philosophy and that you are what you do. I think this is why I find a lot of the discourse on forums to be objectionable when it degenerates into mudslinging for the sake of it. What are you if you allow yourself to engage in name calling or taking someone's ideas, restating them in a way they were not meant and then abusing someone. That is what "you" do if you engage in that conduct. I have tried to look, for instance, at Christianity as comprising two principles, "do unto others, etc" which means that if you love yourself, then love others the same way. This is a rational moral principle which leads to a more happy life. The other is that Christianity, as a Hellenistic (in my opinion, Epicurean, product) takes "God" and makes it "the word" or the logos or reason and reason in this philosophy dictates the moral approach to life according to the principle I mentioned. In this way, one can look at Christianity as a partly true history, or a fiction, or in any way one wants, or as a sophisticated attempt to impose rational moral philosophy on an animistic religion in the Near East. It doesn't really matter, to me at least. At it's core, it sets out a rational moral philosophy.

I've posted this because this is how I now look at Christianity. I don't think it is important, not to me anyway, that it is based on a previous Egyptian mythology, or that Jesus is this person or that person. On the other hand, it is interesting and can be read as a multi-faceted and brilliantly constructed "work" which can appeal to people on many levels, and that is probably it's strength, in terms of it's appeal to people. I see it as a deliberately constructed religion, not as something which originated as the preachings of a monk with some followers, which suddenly took off under Constantine. It is too complex and too sophisticated a set of writings to be so accidental.

Anyway, I thought I would share that, for what it's worth. I've also been watching far to many late night comedy shows featuring US politics so I thought I would get back into something more enlightening and I found that Youtube channel and thought I would share it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Deltabravo's post
01-02-2017, 04:18 PM
RE: Goethe
(01-02-2017 03:48 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  At it's core, it sets out a rational moral philosophy.

I think that's what all religions set out to do, only substantive difference is the level of rationality applied.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Already read him.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
01-02-2017, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2017 05:13 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(01-02-2017 03:48 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I am a member of the local Goethe Institute

.. taking someone's ideas, restating them in a way they were not meant....

Sorry to hear that.
http://www.thyroid.org/goiter/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
02-02-2017, 07:36 AM
(01-02-2017 04:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 03:48 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I am a member of the local Goethe Institute

.. taking someone's ideas, restating them in a way they were not meant....

Sorry to hear that.
http://www.thyroid.org/goiter/

:No
02-02-2017, 07:38 AM
(01-02-2017 04:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 03:48 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  At it's core, it sets out a rational moral philosophy.

I think that's what all religions set out to do, only substantive difference is the level of rationality applied.

I don't see that set out in any degree in the Koran. It's more of a manifesto.
02-02-2017, 07:40 AM
(02-02-2017 07:38 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 04:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think that's what all religions set out to do, only substantive difference is the level of rationality applied.

Perhaps they all try.

Isn't that what "set out to do" means?

#sigh
02-02-2017, 07:43 AM
Personally, I think reading Goethe is preferable to someone's interpretation of him.

Read Goethe. He's not hard. I read him at 16.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post