Going Back To Faith.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2015, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2015 04:13 PM by Heatheness.)
RE: Going Back To Faith.
I think it's social attention whoring and faddism.

Maybe that too simple an explanation but I don't think there's any real thought that goes into it, just pandering to the media craze and the "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality.

My FB is nothing but atheists. I don't friend request others and don't accept any that aren't atheist. I have no tolerance for religious BS postings on my timeline. I would just call them out and then be deleted. I can barely stand FB anyway. Laugh out load

****So Sorry, I miss posted this. It was supposed to go on the thread about media prayers. My bad!
Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2015, 12:16 PM
(13-12-2015 12:13 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I think it's social attention whoring and faddism.

Maybe that too simple an explanation but I don't think there's any real thought that goes into it, just pandering to the media craze and the "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality.

My FB is nothing but atheists. I don't friend request others and don't accept any that aren't atheist. I have no tolerance for religious BS postings on my timeline. I would just call them out and then be deleted. I can barely stand FB anyway. Laugh out load

I don't even bother with most of the religious posts my relatives put up there on FB... but I really, really piss them off by referencing them to Snopes when they forward some bullshit without checking, first.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
13-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Another possibility is that the "atheist" is just acting out rebelliously and eventually gets over it and returns to their church. I think that people who are religious and claim to have been an atheist in the past are either lying about it or might still be atheist and just mulcting the credible.

If a person arrives at the conclusion that there is no evidence for a god of their own accord, I also cannot understand going back. That would be a level of lying to myself that would be pretty uncomfortable.

I volunteered for the Boy Scouts of America for years. I was simply astonished at how many people are willing to surrender their independence and just want to be told what to do. Sheep!
13-12-2015, 12:42 PM
(13-12-2015 12:31 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Another possibility is that the "atheist" is just acting out rebelliously and eventually gets over it and returns to their church. I think that people who are religious and claim to have been an atheist in the past are either lying about it or might still be atheist and just mulcting the credible.

If a person arrives at the conclusion that there is no evidence for a god of their own accord, I also cannot understand going back. That would be a level of lying to myself that would be pretty uncomfortable.

I volunteered for the Boy Scouts of America for years. I was simply astonished at how many people are willing to surrender their independence and just want to be told what to do. Sheep!

...Or if you're like Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron, you just develop a fetish for bananas. Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
13-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Not everyone gets to atheism through rational thought or skepticism. I find the ones that return to religion tend to not be from the skeptic rational group.
[+] 6 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
13-12-2015, 01:31 PM
(13-12-2015 12:46 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Not everyone gets to atheism through rational thought or skepticism. I find the ones that return to religion tend to not be from the skeptic rational group.

True, I think they are of the class "angry at god atheist" types. A real atheist is not angry at an imaginary deity, that would be pointless and absurd but I do think there are people who claim "atheist" that are really believers that are angry at their chosen god. They use their "I'm atheist" as a childish act of defiance against their god that disappointed them or made them angry. Separating the two is not impossible but the religious have no stake in truth so they lump us all together.

It's also an attempt to validate their claim that an atheists non-belief is just a childish tantrum.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
13-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Good thread. I absolutely cannot comprehend going back to a religion. It's mind boggling to me. Like others have said, when there's a comfortable routine, strong community, and maybe a religious family involved, it's easier to go back to the faith. That's some serious cognitive dissonance though.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 2 users Like Imathinker's post
13-12-2015, 03:30 PM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ho-believe

Explains much.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
13-12-2015, 03:43 PM
(13-12-2015 09:40 AM)julep Wrote:  However, agnostics who are simply not convinced of the existence of god, but who can conceive of this god as a loving, benevolent one, may at some point turn or return to the belief side. Such believers admit that there is no proof for their god, but have chosen to act as though that god exists.

This describes me perfectly from 18 to 29.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
13-12-2015, 04:00 PM
I envy believers. Once having been of their number I have personal knowledge of how comforting and comfortable it can be; I find failed apostasy to be perfectly understandable and I can sympathize. Having an Our Father Who Art in Heaven in whose lap you can safely sit until life's demons leave you in peace is marvelous. But there's a problem. Faith is another word for trust, and religious faith is inherently a complete trust in God. Generally, people trust one another until and unless shown that their trust may be misplaced. We trust our parents most of all, and if they say that there is a compassionate, all-powerful God in which you can and must have complete confidence, it must be so. Then, at some point, you start to notice things: prayers seem to go unanswered, bad things happen to good people, what you're taught in church conflicts with what you're taught in school, and religious explanations for what you see around you seem tortured and unsatisfying. In short, you come to doubt that God is completely trustworthy. And so it begins. Eventually you choose to depart from the nest and strike out on your own. Then you find that it's cold, wet and dangerous out here. You remember how warm and comforting it was, and that sense of affectionate safety overrides your doubts. Your human nature allows you to gradually meld your experience on the Outside into your memories of your faith, so that you can simultaneously acknowledge and ignore the disconnects between the two. And so you gradually retrace your steps until you're back among the fold.
[+] 6 users Like jabeady's post