Going Vegan.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 08:40 PM by Mr Woof.)
Going Vegan.
After returning to a light meat diet after several years an ovo/lacto vegetarian (in the main) I am now contemplating a go at veganism. I plan to move slowly from the
former, recommenced OLD, slowly eliminating dairy and eggs.
My limited, research to this point, indicates the vegan dietary approach is not inherently dangerous, except for a few areas, and has a lot of benefits, both ethical and from a nutritional aspect. Butterdiet.com warned of many dangers, but they would, wouldn't they!
I find it hard to be really happy about factory farming and the intense suffering of animals, including dairy cattle, and chicken/eggs, other than free range, which is comparatively rare.
As for the health benefits of meat, I see this as very exaggerated. Mad cow disease is not that distant, along with the issues of chemical measures for greater yield that may well impact on meat and fish consumers.
Anyhow I ill give it a go, and in the worst case scenario return to the ova/lacto model.

Any vegans out there?Chase
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 05:31 PM
RE: Going Vegan.
Dont do it!!!

I was vegan for 2 years after being vegetarian for some times and it had some rather negative effects on my health.

Today i eat meat again by the way.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post
06-01-2014, 05:43 PM
I dunno. I've always felt that if you're born (hatched?) a chicken, things are probably not going to turn out well for you no matter how free the range might be.

So y'know, fuck 'em. Dodgy

Ok that's probably a bit hard, but I remember chooks from when I was a kid and they were singularly charmless creatures. Not as bad as geese but nevertheless pretty mean. Chicken society is fucking horrible.

As for veganism? It's your call. You don't know until you try it. I'm guessing that, like most vegans, you'll bail sooner or later. It's pretty hard to maintain and it's not good for your health in the long run.

Let us know how it goes though. In particular does it improve your poop?

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
[+] 1 user Likes nooneofconsequence's post
06-01-2014, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 06:16 PM by PoolBoyG.)
The factory farming of animals is abhorrent. And the amount of political power wielded by actors surrounding these industries, who not only actively punish people who bring to light the evidence, but also casually push for more brutal conditions, is enough for any rational and ethical person to curtail their meat and dairy intake drastically.

That was my first flirtation with curtailing meat, and was my moral stance. The second and later one was an economic and environmental stance. So much land is being wasted, so much feed and water is being wasted to raise animals and slaughter them for much less. It would be so easy, so cheap comparatively to promote alternatives.

The third flirtation, was the healthy life style stance. I'm not completely convinced or forceful on this one. But the steroids and hormones and other chemicals being pumped into these animals is something that keeps me second guessing. Many industries pollute and pass off the costs and consequences to everyone else, and this might be something similar.

Any other arguments meat proponents put forward, whether macho culture- that eating meat is manly, or some religious one that animals are our slaves, etc, is just complete bull and dismissed immediately.

I know very well if that the same money in pro advertisements was used to advertise messages going against meat, people would be vegans in a second, and wouldn't want to even think about meat.

I'm for 1. curtailing and reduction of raising and sustaining animals for slaughter, 2. improved conditions for animals that will be raised. 3. the promotion and production of viable alternatives to meat and dairy.
[+] 4 users Like PoolBoyG's post
06-01-2014, 06:30 PM

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
06-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Good, you shouldn't eat anything that an animal suffered to produce.

- Meat
- Milk
- Honey (More like BLOOD honey, those poor bees...)
- The vast majority of vegetables (Underpaid and overworked humans)

You know, just don't eat anything you haven't grown in your own garden or generously overpaid for.
[+] 9 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
06-01-2014, 07:05 PM
(06-01-2014 06:57 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Good, you shouldn't eat anything that an animal suffered to produce.

- Meat
- Milk
- Honey (More like BLOOD honey, those poor bees...)
- The vast majority of vegetables (Underpaid and overworked humans)

You know, just don't eat anything you haven't grown in your own garden or generously overpaid for.

[Image: thanks-jesus-for-this-food-de-nada.jpg]

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
[+] 11 users Like nooneofconsequence's post
06-01-2014, 07:06 PM
(06-01-2014 06:30 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  

Hahahaha oh Louie Heart once again, my kind of awful!
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
06-01-2014, 07:07 PM
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwYX-ssdqn8Qnr2y8YNyA...3d21NWZBAw]

You just read this in Bill Cosby's voice!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 3 users Like Crulax's post
06-01-2014, 07:11 PM
(06-01-2014 07:07 PM)Crulax Wrote:  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwYX-ssdqn8Qnr2y8YNyA...3d21NWZBAw]

You just read this in Bill Cosby's voice!
Flawless logic. Big Grin

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post