Going Vegan.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2014, 02:02 AM
RE: Going Vegan.
(12-12-2014 12:07 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  BTW I find the whole stalker thing very unpalatable.

AFAIK all Muffs is doing is being rude and replying to her posts. Didn't realise that qualified as stalking Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
12-12-2014, 04:31 AM
I have also thought about becoming a vegetarian or vegan. My feelings about the treatment of domestic animals, in addition to the health benefits, have been primary reasons. Ever since I have been cutting a lot of meat out of my diet, I've been healthier and more pleased with myself.

On the other hand, it is difficult to fully commit to a vegetarian/vegan diet. It is far more difficult to find alternatives to the lack of protein, and the few that there are have some pretty notable side effects (soy in large quantities, for example, fucks with your estrogen levels) or get pretty bland with time. I hope that we are able to produce some better alternative protein sources, because whenever that happens I will certainly make the switch to vegetarianism.

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
12-12-2014, 05:13 AM
(12-12-2014 04:31 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I have also thought about becoming a vegetarian or vegan. My feelings about the treatment of domestic animals, in addition to the health benefits, have been primary reasons. Ever since I have been cutting a lot of meat out of my diet, I've been healthier and more pleased with myself.

On the other hand, it is difficult to fully commit to a vegetarian/vegan diet. It is far more difficult to find alternatives to the lack of protein, and the few that there are have some pretty notable side effects (soy in large quantities, for example, fucks with your estrogen levels) or get pretty bland with time. I hope that we are able to produce some better alternative protein sources, because whenever that happens I will certainly make the switch to vegetarianism.

And there will never be. Plants don't do it like meat does. There is eggs, but those are limited.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
12-12-2014, 08:25 AM
(12-12-2014 04:31 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I have also thought about becoming a vegetarian or vegan. My feelings about the treatment of domestic animals, in addition to the health benefits, have been primary reasons. Ever since I have been cutting a lot of meat out of my diet, I've been healthier and more pleased with myself.

Beans have the highest amount of protein so needless to say she makes red/kidney beans, black beans, garbanzos and lentils. Nuts also have lots of protein so we eat a lot of Thai dishes that have peanut. She makes fruit smoothies and throws in Brazilian nuts (these are rich with B3, niancin).

When I question the protein intake she points out that some of the largest land animals are vegan (elephant, rhino) and this always makes me laugh.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-12-2014, 08:28 AM
(12-12-2014 02:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-12-2014 12:07 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  BTW I find the whole stalker thing very unpalatable.

AFAIK all Muffs is doing is being rude and replying to her posts. Didn't realise that qualified as stalking Rolleyes

I’m not making any judgement here, just repeating what she said. Plus I got to use the word unpalatable in a most clever way. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-12-2014, 08:38 AM
(12-12-2014 12:01 AM)RuthD Wrote:  That's great you accept your wife's eating style. Yes there is a lot of hostility here. I'm thinking of leaving this forum because this person is stalking me here and bothering me. We all have a right to eat the way we choose. I may try a vegan lifestyle again at some time but it's awful hard. It is very good for health benefits.

Don't mind Muffs, that's just how he rolls. His abrasive attitude is part of his charm. When it comes to the internet, everyone projects on everyone else, at least to some extent. I just imagine him as a grinning, sarcastic jerk... And then its all good.
12-12-2014, 08:43 AM
(12-12-2014 08:25 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Beans have the highest amount of protein so needless to say she makes red/kidney beans, black beans, garbanzos and lentils. Nuts also have lots of protein so we eat a lot of Thai dishes that have peanut. She makes fruit smoothies and throws in Brazilian nuts (these are rich with B3, niancin).

When I question the protein intake she points out that some of the largest land animals are vegan (elephant, rhino) and this always makes me laugh.

I've already said it in this thread... Beans, although high in protein, require supplementation of the missing aminos. That will bring breads and the like into the equation, which means more carbs. I eat tons of chick pea (garbanzo) dishes, but really, quinoa and other seeds are more complete than beans.
12-12-2014, 11:56 AM
(12-12-2014 05:13 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  And there will never be. Plants don't do it like meat does. There is eggs, but those are limited.

So do you inaccurately predict often? Even now, scientists have been working on synthesized meat and other things. It is quite possible that within the next few decades, we won't have to rely on the death of cattle animals for our consumption.

(12-12-2014 08:25 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Beans have the highest amount of protein so needless to say she makes red/kidney beans, black beans, garbanzos and lentils. Nuts also have lots of protein so we eat a lot of Thai dishes that have peanut. She makes fruit smoothies and throws in Brazilian nuts (these are rich with B3, niancin).

Beans are incredibly rich with protein, yes, but they are not complete. One would need to eat a large variety of protein-rich vegetables to get the remaining aminos.

I'm not so sure that animals that have evolved as herbivores would share a diet with us.

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
12-12-2014, 12:39 PM

Maybe you should look for small local farms which can guarantee animal welfare standards?
I think more people should do this, even if they don't care about animal welfare, because meat tastes a hell of a lot better when it's not full of stress hormones and undeveloped muscle.

One of the reasons I decided to switch to subsistence living was because of animal welfare, although I also have a problem with causing unneeded damage to plants. Probably why the spider plants have taken over my house; can't bring myself to put any of the baby ones on the compost heap :U

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
12-12-2014, 12:43 PM
(12-12-2014 11:56 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Beans are incredibly rich with protein, yes, but they are not complete. One would need to eat a large variety of protein-rich vegetables to get the remaining aminos.

You are correct and all dishes are suplemented with other vegetables. I’m certainly no expert on this topic and I know she is aware of this and plans meals accordingly.