Going Vegan.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 03:05 PM
RE: Going Vegan.
(09-01-2014 02:59 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 02:27 PM)natachan Wrote:  I don't eat chicken because of the horrific conditions the animals are kept in. I do eat beef and mutton, and I make sure to buy free range organic meats. As my body is adapted to eat meat I see no ethical problem with eating meat, even if I have problems with the treatment of livestock.

Personally I prefer venison and fish for ethical purposes. But as the season for both is small and as they are labor-intensive I compromise and go for free range organically the rest of the time.

I love reading posts like this. Not because I'm pushing meat or anything. Just because it shows that you don't have to be an extremist. Making compromises like natachan has a massive impact. It sends a simple, yet effective message "My preference as a consumer is humanely treated animals, and I will make sacrifices to gain that preference." Big businesses (ie factory farms) LISTEN to that kind of message because it affects their bottom line. Who gives a shit what their motives are, getting big business to treat animals better is ALWAYS a step in the right direction. And at the same time, supporting small farmers et al, whenever possible, or even just whenever convenient, is better than skipping them for the convenience of the grocery store every time.

Pitching in just a little helps.

So Woofsy, how bout them hens? Huh? Want a tutorial on chicken tractors?? Lol

I don't know what it is like where everyone else is but around here you can easily buy local (produce meat etc) usually for no more than the normal mass produced junk. Buy local and support your farmers. Vote with your wallet and eventually the big mass factories will go away.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 03:08 PM
(09-01-2014 09:45 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Hey Woofs.....since you are mostly concerned about animal welfare, have you considered getting yourself a laying hen or three? That way they are treated as well as YOU want, and you can eat guilt free eggs, produced from hens that eat only what YOU feed them. A couple chickens are ridiculously easy to take care of, and eggs are about the most complete, healthy food on the planet.

Just sayin. If you want to explore it further, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Thanks Starkers;yes I have considered that. In the old days lots of peeps had chooks.
Currently opting for flexitarianism, cutting down on dairy as well as fish. Don't really like meat all that much, so no problem there.Wink
09-01-2014, 03:14 PM
I've been thinking about changing my "eating lifestyle" along the same lines myself recently Woof's. I might go down the buddhist route and become a vegetarian but if somebody cooks me a meal containing meat then I shall eat it.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
09-01-2014, 03:17 PM
(09-01-2014 03:14 PM)bemore Wrote:  I've been thinking about changing my "eating lifestyle" along the same lines myself recently Woof's. I might go down the buddhist route and become a vegetarian but if somebody cooks me a meal containing meat then I shall eat it.

Sounds like a pretty sensible call Bemore!Thumbsup
09-01-2014, 03:23 PM
(08-01-2014 09:21 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 06:59 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I could never be a vegan not because I like eating meat so much but because they are just the worst people. Have you ever been inflicted with a group of the most self satisfied egotists? That is what hanging around with vegans is like. I have yet to meet a vegan that could cook to save their lives either. I have had side dishes at steak houses prepared by chefs that build their entire careers around meat put more thought and care into their vegetables than any vegan. Of course like any other extremist they all have the horror stories they tell based on what they think the truth is and will bitch whine and complain if anyone injects reality into the conversation. I understand vegetarians I get not liking animal cruelty but vegan not even once.

Quite. I'm yet to meet a vegan who wasn't something of a lady's area. Had a good friend who turned vegan and became most intolerable.

-- Max

Heard anecdotally, that vegans actually have higher libidos.
Is your remark a tad sexist?Rolleyes
09-01-2014, 04:22 PM
I dunno how it works in the rest of the world but the term "free range" is pretty meaningless down here. With the exception of QLD (I think) there is no statutory definition of "free range" -- at least when it comes to eggs.

Basically you can slap a free range sticker on a carton of googs and double the price no matter where they come from or how the birds are treated. It's hard to imagine that it's much different in the chicken meat industry.

(somewhat relevant linkage)

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
09-01-2014, 05:44 PM
(09-01-2014 04:22 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  I dunno how it works in the rest of the world but the term "free range" is pretty meaningless down here. With the exception of QLD (I think) there is no statutory definition of "free range" -- at least when it comes to eggs.

Basically you can slap a free range sticker on a carton of googs and double the price no matter where they come from or how the birds are treated. It's hard to imagine that it's much different in the chicken meat industry.

(somewhat relevant linkage)

-- Max

Most parts of the world have food regulating bodies. They may do a poor job in many countries, but suggesting that anyone can slap on a "free range" sticker is absurd in most of the developed world. It's a terribly flawed system, but people gotta start somewhere. Here in Canada, and certainly in the states, free range labelled must follow at least SOME sort of guideline. Regardless of how small, it's a step towards improvement.

So if you must buy store eggs, try to research the company that produces your eggs, and do the best you can. If that means buying eggs labelled free range...well at least it's something. (But really, c'mon, try a little harder, ya?)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
09-01-2014, 05:51 PM
The vast majority of premade breads include L-cysteine, which is most commonly extracted from duck feathers and/or human hair.

Seriously, you've almost definitely eaten bread that relied on processed human hair.
09-01-2014, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 06:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
The erstwhile HellboundPreacher has lost some 40-50 lbs since going vegan. Good for him. That's a good reason. Thumbsup

I got a couple teenage nieces who've recently gone full vegan for philosophical reasons. I pointed out to them if they really revere life they need to go full fruitarian. 'Cause you don't kill a fruit tree by eating its fruit and just 'cause you don't hear the carrot scream as you dig it up and boil it alive don't mean Girly don't. And no, I will not teach you to hear the carrot scream, your father would be pissed. Big Grin

I eat lunch at a vegetarian Indian place quite a bit. I could go vegetarian if I was Indian. They got the spices down to such an art that I don't even miss the meat.

#sigh
09-01-2014, 06:27 PM
(09-01-2014 05:51 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  The vast majority of premade breads include L-cysteine, which is most commonly extracted from duck feathers and/or human hair.

Seriously, you've almost definitely eaten bread that relied on processed human hair.

Holy crap, I never knew that, I don't think i'll ever eat a wedge shape piece of pizza the same again.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".