Going Vegan.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 06:28 PM
RE: Going Vegan.
I've had a meal or two without meat, fish, or eggs...

It was awful.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 06:29 PM
(09-01-2014 06:27 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 05:51 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  The vast majority of premade breads include L-cysteine, which is most commonly extracted from duck feathers and/or human hair.

Seriously, you've almost definitely eaten bread that relied on processed human hair.

Holy crap, I never knew that, I don't think i'll ever eat a wedge shape piece of pizza the same again.

Well if you're going to eat it differently, don't start from the crust first, thats just mental.
09-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Food cultivation on a scale necessary to sustain the current global population is necessarily and unavoidably a resource-intensive ecologically destructive hypodiverse industrialised polluting desiccating mess. So there's that.

Best thing for the planet as a whole is to maximize the ecological efficiency of your diet. Which somewhat but not entirely reminiscent with being vegetarian, so there's that too.

Also so far as I'm concerned we're more than justified in the occasional treat of just eating whatever we think tastes good from time to time. In honour of the billions of people who've died without that option.

... this is my signature!
10-01-2014, 12:53 AM
(09-01-2014 02:59 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 02:27 PM)natachan Wrote:  I don't eat chicken because of the horrific conditions the animals are kept in. I do eat beef and mutton, and I make sure to buy free range organic meats. As my body is adapted to eat meat I see no ethical problem with eating meat, even if I have problems with the treatment of livestock.

Personally I prefer venison and fish for ethical purposes. But as the season for both is small and as they are labor-intensive I compromise and go for free range organically the rest of the time.

I love reading posts like this. Not because I'm pushing meat or anything. Just because it shows that you don't have to be an extremist. Making compromises like natachan has a massive impact. It sends a simple, yet effective message "My preference as a consumer is humanely treated animals, and I will make sacrifices to gain that preference." Big businesses (ie factory farms) LISTEN to that kind of message because it affects their bottom line. Who gives a shit what their motives are, getting big business to treat animals better is ALWAYS a step in the right direction. And at the same time, supporting small farmers et al, whenever possible, or even just whenever convenient, is better than skipping them for the convenience of the grocery store every time.

Pitching in just a little helps.

So Woofsy, how bout them hens? Huh? Want a tutorial on chicken tractors?? Lol

Iv'e got a pretty big yard and garage, will that do?Consider
10-01-2014, 11:31 AM
I fully support you in your endeavor. One of my elder brothers changed to a vegan diet as well and now there's more juicy meat left for me. Big Grin

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
10-01-2014, 03:10 PM
(10-01-2014 11:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I fully support you in your endeavor. One of my elder brothers changed to a vegan diet as well and now there's more juicy meat left for me. Big Grin

Hope all that saturated fat and cholesterol won't shorten that span of enjoyment...Unsure
10-01-2014, 06:49 PM
(10-01-2014 12:53 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 02:59 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I love reading posts like this. Not because I'm pushing meat or anything. Just because it shows that you don't have to be an extremist. Making compromises like natachan has a massive impact. It sends a simple, yet effective message "My preference as a consumer is humanely treated animals, and I will make sacrifices to gain that preference." Big businesses (ie factory farms) LISTEN to that kind of message because it affects their bottom line. Who gives a shit what their motives are, getting big business to treat animals better is ALWAYS a step in the right direction. And at the same time, supporting small farmers et al, whenever possible, or even just whenever convenient, is better than skipping them for the convenience of the grocery store every time.

Pitching in just a little helps.

So Woofsy, how bout them hens? Huh? Want a tutorial on chicken tractors?? Lol

Iv'e got a pretty big yard and garage, will that do?Consider
More than enough. Heck, if you have a decent sized back yard, two or three hens could just roam free if it's got a decent fence! No need for a chicken tractor (which is just a silly name for a coop that you move around) A small coop, a laying box, and some fresh water is all they will need in the summer. Depending on where you are, you'll probably have to feed them for part of the year, but that won't be a problem, especially if you are vegan. Table scraps and peels will disappear off the coop floor in seconds. I find the only challenge with chickens is convincing them that chicken feed is actually food.

......I got past the challenge by giving up. I'll teach you a cheaper, more healthy alternative to manufactured feed. That is if you want.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
10-01-2014, 06:59 PM
I was vegan for nearly three years, and I had no health problems as a result.
10-01-2014, 07:18 PM
(10-01-2014 06:59 PM)Foxen Wrote:  I was vegan for nearly three years, and I had no health problems as a result.

what about mental health ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
10-01-2014, 07:23 PM
(10-01-2014 07:18 PM)sporehux Wrote:  what about mental health ?

I was mentally unstable before I went vegan. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post