Going a little too far.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Going a little too far.
I attend church periodically to help a lady, 83 negotiate the stairs. The men just stand and watch her struggle. Anyway, this isn't an every Sunday thing because I refuse to let it be so. Last night a storm awakened me which resulted in very little sleep. The lady called this morning and I told her I was too tired. She called back in about 45 min. and asked again, telling me I should come. Telling me I should or have to do anything is a good way to get me to head the other way. I'm not sure how to deal with this as it seems to have taken on a life of it's own.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
21-09-2014, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2014 05:12 PM by Anjele.)
RE: Going a little too far.
Sounds like your help has become quite important to her and if there's no one else, your company may be something she needs.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
21-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I think she enjoys your company. I'm not implying you should force yourself to do it every Sunday, but maybe open yourself to do it more, because of how much it helps her out and it's important to her.
21-09-2014, 05:14 PM
This is so kind of you to do. So many people these days turn a blind eye to people who need help.
If you are able, maybe continue to make the effort. I wouldn't however feel guilty if you are unable to make it, though.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
21-09-2014, 06:44 PM
You people forget that I also have to sit thro the services, the pastor is a horrible speaker, the collection plate gets passed so my purse winds up a little thinner.
21-09-2014, 06:58 PM
(21-09-2014 06:44 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  You people forget that I also have to sit thro the services, the pastor is a horrible speaker, the collection plate gets passed so my purse winds up a little thinner.

Maybe next Sunday ask her if she would like to go and ??? instead?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Is there anyone you can find that attends with her that can switch off/on with her?

Look into the different groups at this church, maybe one of them can step in and provide relief.

It sounds like she wants to depend on you every week but that doesn't work for you. If so, you need to tell her what your limit is, schedule ahead of time ( I will take you the first and third Sundays of the month) or something.

If nothing else, find her a buddy to sit with during the service, walk her in, and come back at the end for her. Tell her that you have something else that you have to do. Taking her to/from church is one thing, but attending the service is something else. You don't need to tell her what your activity is, it's your business. But it will get you out of listening to the boring pastor and keep your money in your wallet.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
21-09-2014, 07:07 PM
(21-09-2014 06:44 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  You people forget that I also have to sit thro the services, the pastor is a horrible speaker, the collection plate gets passed so my purse winds up a little thinner.

You are being charitable by helping an elderly church member. Keep your purse closed - you have certainly done your part.

And bring your ipod or iphone and some earphones.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

21-09-2014, 07:09 PM
(21-09-2014 07:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

You are being charitable by helping an elderly church member. Keep your purse closed - you have certainly done your part.

I would go do my grocery shopping. Big Grin

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
21-09-2014, 07:11 PM
(21-09-2014 07:09 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(21-09-2014 07:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You are being charitable by helping an elderly church member. Keep your purse closed - you have certainly done your part.

I would go do my grocery shopping. Big Grin

Well, yeah - hellish time either way. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post