Going a little too far.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2014, 07:13 PM
RE: Going a little too far.
(21-09-2014 07:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-09-2014 07:09 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I would go do my grocery shopping. Big Grin

Well, yeah - hellish time either way. Tongue

Although if she is pokey on the stairs your cold goods might melt, atleast they would here, maybe a good time for some exercise around a nearby park.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2014, 04:52 AM
(21-09-2014 06:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-09-2014 06:44 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  You people forget that I also have to sit thro the services, the pastor is a horrible speaker, the collection plate gets passed so my purse winds up a little thinner.

Maybe next Sunday ask her if she would like to go and ??? instead?

She might not be a ??? kind of girl. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-09-2014, 12:20 PM
(21-09-2014 04:33 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  I attend church periodically to help a lady, 83 negotiate the stairs. The men just stand and watch her struggle. Anyway, this isn't an every Sunday thing because I refuse to let it be so. Last night a storm awakened me which resulted in very little sleep. The lady called this morning and I told her I was too tired. She called back in about 45 min. and asked again, telling me I should come. Telling me I should or have to do anything is a good way to get me to head the other way. I'm not sure how to deal with this as it seems to have taken on a life of it's own.

That is a little bit of a tough one. Sounds like she has become at least partially dependent on you. I do not think you should get mad at her, she probably appreciated both your help and your company. Maybe you should talk to her and sort things out and come to an agreement, if you still want to help her. If not you should let he know.
22-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Wear an 'I am an atheist" T-shirt.
When called on it, tell them they should learn from your morals.
You are willing to help a nice older lady when none of them would.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
23-09-2014, 07:21 AM
This woman lost a son when he was only 12. I suspect she turned to her religion, Evangelical, in an effort to deal with his death that she needs to believe he's with god. As much as I'd like to tell her I'm antitheist, I can't. Just a few months ago she mentioned him and stated she looks forward to being with him again. Her son is the pastor and I wish he'd take a course in public speaking, he's that awful. He stands just inside the door and watches his mother struggle with the stairs. My opinion of him isn't good.
23-09-2014, 07:27 AM
(23-09-2014 07:21 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  This woman lost a son when he was only 12. I suspect she turned to her religion, Evangelical, in an effort to deal with his death that she needs to believe he's with god. As much as I'd like to tell her I'm antitheist, I can't. Just a few months ago she mentioned him and stated she looks forward to being with him again. Her son is the pastor and I wish he'd take a course in public speaking, he's that awful. He stands just inside the door and watches his mother struggle with the stairs. My opinion of him isn't good.

I am the person that will put them on the spot and call out the bad behavior. I will publicly shame asshole behavior.

When walking in the door, and he is standing there, I will say loudly for those around to hear " you, come here and help your mother, can't you see she needs assistance!" And I will point right at him. It leaves him with no available choice except to help. He might not like it, but bad behavior will not be tolerated.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
23-09-2014, 07:32 AM
(23-09-2014 07:21 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  ...
He stands just inside the door and watches his mother struggle with the stairs. My opinion of him isn't good.

That's just bad manners. I blame the parents. Huh

I like Bows' idea: collect her at the end of the service.

The tricky bit, though, would be how to answer the question of why you didn't stay.

If it were me, I confess that I would confess. I don't think that your declaration of non-belief would affect her hopes of seeing her son again in her version of an afterlife.

26-09-2014, 09:24 AM
(21-09-2014 06:44 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  You people forget that I also have to sit thro the services, the pastor is a horrible speaker, the collection plate gets passed so my purse winds up a little thinner.

Start putting antitheist literature in some of those collection envelopes they always have in the pews and deposit that in the plate. Or quotes from Dawkins or Hitchens to give the pastor a little fire to liven up the sermons!

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
[+] 1 user Likes Silo1180's post
26-09-2014, 09:46 AM
I think you're a good person for helping her. But that can be taken advantage of.

I wouldn't give the church money. I'd just give them an empty envelope. When my husband drags me to mass that's what I do. Yeah, I'm mean that way.

Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-09-2014, 10:25 AM
It's a conspiracy. If you quit, the congregation will show at your door! Shocking

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man