Going back to college.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Going back to college.
I'm at a crossroads and I need help and advice.

I've come to a point in my career where I need to go back to college and finish up my degree in Computer Science. I have decades of experience in computers and have held several management positions in IT departments throughout my career. They have all been either small businesses or non-profits, though. Good work, but the pay sucks. I've recently been turned down for better paying jobs based solely on the fact that I don't have a degree. More than one has been for a position that would be considered lower than my current position.

The problem is in affording it. I make enough money so that I qualify for only a tiny bit of financial assistance through any government programs, but not enough that I can afford to pay out of pocket. I've checked into getting loans, but I can only get about 1/5 of the money I would need.

Do any of you have any advice on this? Any resources that I could use for more financial assiatance? An inexpensive college that I could attend online? A magic tuition fairy that could plop $60k in my account? Really, any advise could help.

It's been nothing but frustration so far. I keep getting excited to start learning again, but I am let down every time.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2013, 01:42 PM
RE: Going back to college.
Both MIT and Standford offer free online courses!

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

http://online.stanford.edu/courses
10-12-2013, 01:49 PM
(10-12-2013 01:42 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Both MIT and Standford offer free online courses!

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

http://online.stanford.edu/courses

Thanks, but that doesn't solve my problem. My problem isn't in attaining the knowledge. There are lots of free resources out there to actually learn the knowledge.

I actually have most of the knowledge needed for a degree. Like I said, I've been in IT for several years and have over 20 year experience in building, repairing, and maintaining systems and networks.

The problem is that I don't have a piece of paper that says that I know what I'm talking about. I'm trying to obtain that paper at as little cost as possible.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Can you not just write the exams, if you have the knowledge ? Chat to some dude at your local uni would be your best bet, I'd imagine. Get an idea of the syllabus, some past papers, pay to write the exams, get degree, Bob's yer uncle ?

I dunno if you can actually do this, if the world made any sense this is the way I'd set things up. But the world rarely makes sense Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-12-2013, 02:00 PM
(10-12-2013 01:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  Can you not just write the exams, if you have the knowledge ? Chat to some dude at your local uni would be your best bet, I'd imagine. Get an idea of the syllabus, some past papers, pay to write the exams, get degree, Bob's yer uncle ?

I dunno if you can actually do this, if the world made any sense this is the way I'd set things up. But the world rarely makes sense Dodgy

See, there you go making sense. Trust me, I've asked about any way I could "prove" that I know what I'm talking about and just take the test. I pretty much got laughed at.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
10-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Sounds like your best bet is to research the online colleges.
10-12-2013, 02:03 PM
(10-12-2013 01:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  Can you not just write the exams, if you have the knowledge ? Chat to some dude at your local uni would be your best bet, I'd imagine. Get an idea of the syllabus, some past papers, pay to write the exams, get degree, Bob's yer uncle ?

Money makes the world go 'round. What an accurate saying.

I'm with Morondog on the whole getting acquainted with your local uni(s) and maybe checking out some online support forums - they're tailored specifically for these types of issues and you might have better luck finding a gem within those resources.

Best to you in your academic journey!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
10-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Aside from loans and financial aid, scholarships are really the next best bet. I'm in a completely different field than you are but there are a lot of companies and organizations within the industry that offer scholarships. Ask around and see if it is the same for yours.

Look around and find the cheapest college in your area and take a few classes per semester if that is what you can afford. Most programs don't require you to attend full time.

I sympathise with you. I'm in the same boat. I wish I could tell you there was a magic tuition fairy, but hard work and a whole lot of dedication seem to be the only way through this. Good luck!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
10-12-2013, 02:06 PM
(10-12-2013 02:03 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Sounds like your best bet is to research the online colleges.

I have researched a bunch of online colleges.

Online colleges aren't any cheaper than actual in person colleges, which is ridiculous in and of itself. The CHEAPEST, I've been able to find a full Bacehlor's of Computer Science program for was $60k.

10-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Dang.. Well, maybe someone else will come along with a solution. I'm at a loss.

I love your signature, by the way. Ya gotta love Monty Python!