Going back to college.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 02:19 PM
RE: Going back to college.
If I had a nickle for every time I was good at something but didn't have the requisite piece of paper.

.....I'd have $0.15.....

I don't know where you live, but assuming you have a community college in your town (or surrounding area) you could take as many courses there as possible. I am taking several credit hours at my local c.c., and the tuition is literally half or more what the state uni was going to charge me. I doubt this holds true for absolutely everywhere but it's worth a shot. But DO NOT try to get a degree from an online only place. Diploma mills, the whole lot of them! Tongue But you could take online courses that are offered through local campuses. They are cheap, cheap, cheap. Sometimes you only have to physically meet for the final.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2013, 02:25 PM
(10-12-2013 02:19 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  If I had a nickle for every time I was good at something but didn't have the requisite piece of paper.

.....I'd have $0.15.....

I don't know where you live, but assuming you have a community college in your town (or surrounding area) you could take as many courses there as possible. I am taking several credit hours at my local c.c., and the tuition is literally half or more what the state uni was going to charge me. I doubt this holds true for absolutely everywhere but it's worth a shot. But DO NOT try to get a degree from an online only place. Diploma mills, the whole lot of them! Tongue But you could take online courses that are offered through local campuses. They are cheap, cheap, cheap. Sometimes you only have to physically meet for the final.

The local community college doesn't offer 4 year programs on it's own, and the partnerships it has with the 4 year schools are no cheaper than going to the 4 year schools, just more convenient.

Thanks for the advice on the Diploma mills. I figured most of them (the schools that have only ever existed online) were worthless. I'm not sure where you're getting that the online classes for established colleges are cheap cheap cheap. I've looked into about 20 of them throughout the country and they are the exact same price as attending locally.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-12-2013, 02:28 PM
I suppose we are lucky in regards to the online classes, but...your community college charges the exact same amount in tuition for a 4 credit hour 135 Math class that the University does? I've never even heard of that. :O

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
10-12-2013, 02:39 PM
(10-12-2013 02:28 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I suppose we are lucky in regards to the online classes, but...your community college charges the exact same amount in tuition for a 4 credit hour 135 Math class that the University does? I've never even heard of that. :O

Not exactly. It's so goddam stupid my head hurts. This is what I've been told by the community college that also has Uni partners. Essentially, I can take classes offered only by the CC, but they don't necessarily transfer to the Uni when I'm done with an Associates degree. They flat out told me that they will not guarantee transfer and that I may have to retake up to 50% of the classes once I'm enrolled in a 4 year program.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-12-2013, 02:41 PM
The price of online classes isn't lower than on campus classes. It's more convenient for many people but the price per unit doesn't change. The only way it could be helpful financially is that it doesn't cut into your work schedule like on campus classes often do.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
10-12-2013, 02:51 PM
(10-12-2013 02:39 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  This is what I've been told by the community college that also has Uni partners. Essentially, I can take classes offered only by the CC, but they don't necessarily transfer to the Uni when I'm done with an Associates degree. They flat out told me that they will not guarantee transfer and that I may have to retake up to 50% of the classes once I'm enrolled in a 4 year program.

Is it possible (there) to just take equivalent classes without the intention of applying for graduation for an associate's degree? I know you have to be striving for a degree to qualify for the pell grant, but you already said it wouldn't be much help anyway.

(10-12-2013 02:41 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  The price of online classes isn't lower than on campus classes.

In Missouri it is. I guess we're just lucky. I didn't know this was a strange thing.

10-12-2013, 02:53 PM
(10-12-2013 02:41 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  The price of online classes isn't lower than on campus classes. It's more convenient for many people but the price per unit doesn't change. The only way it could be helpful financially is that it doesn't cut into your work schedule like on campus classes often do.

Aye, and it's beyond stupid that they're not deeply discounted. You're using very little in the way of school resources, the professor only needs to "teach" the class once and then the course can be taken as many times as needed, etc.

It's almost as stupid as e-books being more expensive than a hardback physical copy.

10-12-2013, 02:55 PM
(10-12-2013 02:51 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 02:39 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  This is what I've been told by the community college that also has Uni partners. Essentially, I can take classes offered only by the CC, but they don't necessarily transfer to the Uni when I'm done with an Associates degree. They flat out told me that they will not guarantee transfer and that I may have to retake up to 50% of the classes once I'm enrolled in a 4 year program.

Is it possible (there) to just take equivalent classes without the intention of applying for graduation for an associate's degree? I know you have to be striving for a degree to qualify for the pell grant, but you already said it wouldn't be much help anyway.

(10-12-2013 02:41 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  The price of online classes isn't lower than on campus classes.

In Missouri it is. I guess we're just lucky. I didn't know this was a strange thing.

Yeah, you can pay to take classes as much as you want without having to actually graduate. You can also audit courses for no credit. Neither of which will do me any good.

10-12-2013, 02:58 PM
(10-12-2013 01:49 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 01:42 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Both MIT and Standford offer free online courses!

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

http://online.stanford.edu/courses

Thanks, but that doesn't solve my problem. My problem isn't in attaining the knowledge. There are lots of free resources out there to actually learn the knowledge.

I actually have most of the knowledge needed for a degree. Like I said, I've been in IT for several years and have over 20 year experience in building, repairing, and maintaining systems and networks.

The problem is that I don't have a piece of paper that says that I know what I'm talking about. I'm trying to obtain that paper at as little cost as possible.

Do you have any certifications?

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
10-12-2013, 03:00 PM
The other 50% of the classes (that will transfer,) if they are cheaper at the community college, take them there.