Going back to college.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 03:04 PM
RE: Going back to college.
(10-12-2013 02:58 PM)Crulax Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 01:49 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Thanks, but that doesn't solve my problem. My problem isn't in attaining the knowledge. There are lots of free resources out there to actually learn the knowledge.

I actually have most of the knowledge needed for a degree. Like I said, I've been in IT for several years and have over 20 year experience in building, repairing, and maintaining systems and networks.

The problem is that I don't have a piece of paper that says that I know what I'm talking about. I'm trying to obtain that paper at as little cost as possible.

Do you have any certifications?

A few, but they're of no use when the companies I want to work for won't even interview me for a helpdesk position without having a degree.

Quote:The other 50% of the classes (that will transfer,) if they are cheaper at the community college, take them there.

I think you misunderstand, it's not "this half will transfer, this half may not". It's out of all of these classes, you may have to take upwards of half of them over again at the Uni.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2013, 03:06 PM
(10-12-2013 02:53 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 02:41 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  The price of online classes isn't lower than on campus classes. It's more convenient for many people but the price per unit doesn't change. The only way it could be helpful financially is that it doesn't cut into your work schedule like on campus classes often do.

Aye, and it's beyond stupid that they're not deeply discounted. You're using very little in the way of school resources, the professor only needs to "teach" the class once and then the course can be taken as many times as needed, etc.

It's almost as stupid as e-books being more expensive than a hardback physical copy.

I agree. It's ridiculous. I have to pay $367 per unit for the degree I need, which I have to take 17 units per semester. It's all online, and in my situation it's more expensive to doit online than it wwould be to do it on campus because online classes don't qualify for the Western Undergraduate Exchange program, which would cut tuition by about 75%.

They don't make it easy.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
10-12-2013, 03:14 PM
(10-12-2013 03:06 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 02:53 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Aye, and it's beyond stupid that they're not deeply discounted. You're using very little in the way of school resources, the professor only needs to "teach" the class once and then the course can be taken as many times as needed, etc.

It's almost as stupid as e-books being more expensive than a hardback physical copy.

I agree. It's ridiculous. I have to pay $367 per unit for the degree I need, which I have to take 17 units per semester. It's all online, and in my situation it's more expensive to doit online than it wwould be to do it on campus because online classes don't qualify for the Western Undergraduate Exchange program, which would cut tuition by about 75%.

They don't make it easy.

That's the understatement of the decade. After talking to some of the people at admissions, I'd swear they were trying to get people to NOT sign up. I've been lied to multiple times (told by one admissions guy that my costs would be about $20k TOTAL. I enrolled and when the financial guy called me, informed me that it was $20k PER SEMESTER), I've been brushed off, I've had my intelligence insulted more times than I can count.

It's infuriating. I'm trying to better myself here, and all I am getting is pushback.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-12-2013, 03:15 PM
(10-12-2013 03:04 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I think you misunderstand, it's not "this half will transfer, this half may not". It's out of all of these classes, you may have to take upwards of half of them over again at the Uni.

Most Tech. schools offer an Associates Degree in IT and a relatively inexpensive.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
10-12-2013, 03:17 PM
(10-12-2013 03:14 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:06 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  I agree. It's ridiculous. I have to pay $367 per unit for the degree I need, which I have to take 17 units per semester. It's all online, and in my situation it's more expensive to doit online than it wwould be to do it on campus because online classes don't qualify for the Western Undergraduate Exchange program, which would cut tuition by about 75%.

They don't make it easy.

That's the understatement of the decade. After talking to some of the people at admissions, I'd swear they were trying to get people to NOT sign up. I've been lied to multiple times (told by one admissions guy that my costs would be about $20k TOTAL. I enrolled and when the financial guy called me, informed me that it was $20k PER SEMESTER), I've been brushed off, I've had my intelligence insulted more times than I can count.

It's infuriating. I'm trying to better myself here, and all I am getting is pushback.

Yeah, I know that feeling too. I spoke to someone at a college here the other day about signing up for classes for spring, and she told me what paperwork I was missing and everything. Never mentioned that they stopped enrolling for spring back in October. Friggin waste of time. Dodgy

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
10-12-2013, 03:18 PM
(10-12-2013 03:15 PM)Crulax Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:04 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I think you misunderstand, it's not "this half will transfer, this half may not". It's out of all of these classes, you may have to take upwards of half of them over again at the Uni.

Most Tech. schools offer an Associates Degree in IT and a relatively inexpensive.

Such as? ITT and DeVry are more expensive than regular universities. $460 per unit is beyond ridiculous.

10-12-2013, 03:19 PM
(10-12-2013 03:17 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:14 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  That's the understatement of the decade. After talking to some of the people at admissions, I'd swear they were trying to get people to NOT sign up. I've been lied to multiple times (told by one admissions guy that my costs would be about $20k TOTAL. I enrolled and when the financial guy called me, informed me that it was $20k PER SEMESTER), I've been brushed off, I've had my intelligence insulted more times than I can count.

Yeah, I know that feeling too. I spoke to someone at a college here the other day about signing up for classes for spring, and she told me what paperwork I was missing and everything. Never mentioned that they stopped enrolling for spring back in October. Friggin waste of time. Dodgy

And this person works at an institute of higher learning.... that's encouraging. Rolleyes

10-12-2013, 03:27 PM

Ok.....

Let's make up a number, a credit hour, and a subject.

200, 3, and English.

Ok so far?

If you need a #200 3 credit hour English class for the University's bachelor's degree, and
-the community college offers such a course, and
-it is cheaper than that offered by the University, then:

TAKE IT!!! Wink

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
10-12-2013, 03:28 PM
(10-12-2013 03:18 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:15 PM)Crulax Wrote:  Most Tech. schools offer an Associates Degree in IT and a relatively inexpensive.

Such as? ITT and DeVry are more expensive than regular universities. $460 per unit is beyond ridiculous.

Oh, no not them. Those are corporate owned and are only in it for a profit. Look for a Tech. school or community college that is run by the state. I went to a local one and tuition was only around 2,000 a semester and got my associates and because it was nationally accredited most (like 90%) of my classes transferred over to the university so I could pursue my bachelor's degree.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
10-12-2013, 03:32 PM
(10-12-2013 03:27 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  

Ok.....

Let's make up a number, a credit hour, and a subject.

200, 3, and English.

Ok so far?

If you need a #200 3 credit hour English class for the University's bachelor's degree, and
-the community college offers such a course, and
-it is cheaper than that offered by the University, then:

TAKE IT!!! Wink

I'd love to. But the problem is that they can not guarantee that the course requirements for the Uni program won't change between now and then. The issue is that even though I can look at a list of course requirements NOW, in two years, when I'm done with the associates, the degree requirements could have changed drastically.

I've actually taken almost all the requirements for an associates degree, years ago. Now, even if I just wanted to get an associates degree, from the same CC, I'd STILL have to retake almost all those courses. So, as it currently stands, I have to take a bunch of classes I've already passed because they changed some numbers. There's no way I'm going to pay to take those classes now and then have to take them for a third time two years down the road.