Going back to college.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 03:37 PM
RE: Going back to college.
For what it's worth, introductory courses (especially in fields like programming, where you do tend to get a lot of experienced people coming in) usually present an equivalence test of some sort.

Even if you can't get prior course credit recognized, you may still be able to skip over courses in a new degree you enter.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2013, 03:37 PM
(10-12-2013 03:28 PM)Crulax Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:18 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Such as? ITT and DeVry are more expensive than regular universities. $460 per unit is beyond ridiculous.

Oh, no not them. Those are corporate owned and are only in it for a profit. Look for a Tech. school or community college that is run by the state. I went to a local one and tuition was only around 2,000 a semester and got my associates and because it was nationally accredited most (like 90%) of my classes transferred over to the university so I could pursue my bachelor's degree.

I need online classes only. I work 55-60 hours a week, often I'm at work for longer than campuses hold classes.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-12-2013, 03:42 PM
(10-12-2013 03:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  For what it's worth, introductory courses (especially in fields like programming, where you do tend to get a lot of experienced people coming in) usually present an equivalence test of some sort.

Even if you can't get prior course credit recognized, you may still be able to skip over courses in a new degree you enter.

I wish. Unfortunately for me, programming is by far my weakest aspect of the job. I understand programming and have written some automation for the office, but other than VB, I haven't done any programming since the late 80s.

I'm not sure about all colleges, of course, but of the 5 that I've talked to very seriously every single one of them would make me take Intro to Computers. I literally have to take a class that teaches people where the power button is and what a mouse does.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-12-2013, 03:48 PM
(10-12-2013 03:42 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I wish. Unfortunately for me, programming is by far my weakest aspect of the job. I understand programming and have written some automation for the office, but other than VB, I haven't done any programming since the late 80s.

Hmm.

(10-12-2013 03:42 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I'm not sure about all colleges, of course, but of the 5 that I've talked to very seriously every single one of them would make me take Intro to Computers. I literally have to take a class that teaches people where the power button is and what a mouse does.

Given extensive prior experience in the industry, you could almost certainly work something out at any of the schools in this part of the world.

Not that you'd have to, since a BSc in Computing Science wouldn't include such a course anyway...

What sort of degree, specifically, is it that you want/need?

10-12-2013, 03:53 PM
(10-12-2013 03:48 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:42 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I wish. Unfortunately for me, programming is by far my weakest aspect of the job. I understand programming and have written some automation for the office, but other than VB, I haven't done any programming since the late 80s.

Hmm.

(10-12-2013 03:42 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I'm not sure about all colleges, of course, but of the 5 that I've talked to very seriously every single one of them would make me take Intro to Computers. I literally have to take a class that teaches people where the power button is and what a mouse does.

Given extensive prior experience in the industry, you could almost certainly work something out at any of the schools in this part of the world.

Not that you'd have to, since a BSc in Computing Science wouldn't include such a course anyway...

What sort of degree, specifically, is it that you want/need?

I haven't figured out where I'd like to specialize in. I've thought about going into software development, but all my professional experience is in SysAdmin.

My extensive prior experience didn't matter a lick to them. Like I said, that was just 5 schools, but every single one of them had absolutely no way to test out of any of the computer courses, including their intro to computers course. It's beyond asinine.

10-12-2013, 03:58 PM
(10-12-2013 03:42 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  For what it's worth, introductory courses (especially in fields like programming, where you do tend to get a lot of experienced people coming in) usually present an equivalence test of some sort.

I wish. Unfortunately for me, programming is by far my weakest aspect of the job. I understand programming and have written some automation for the office, but other than VB, I haven't done any programming since the late 80s.

I'm not sure about all colleges, of course, but of the 5 that I've talked to very seriously every single one of them would make me take Intro to Computers. I literally have to take a class that teaches people where the power button is and what a mouse does.

Yup... this fries me too. I'm a mortician. I've embalmed over 700 people. I was an EMT before that, and have taken multiple medical courses. I'm familiar with this crap. But I have to take Anatomy & physiology as prerequisites for my mortuary program, which is proving to be incredibly difficult as I can't even get on the wait list for these classes. It's threatening to delay my entry into the mortuary program, which could be detrimental as I have a time limit to complete that. I haven't found an answer yet.

However - one thing someone recommended I try is to petition the school to give you credit for field experience. It won't work in my situation and I'm not sure who you would talk to or even how to go about asking, but you can try. Contract the head of the department and ask if they can test you above entry level courses or give you credit for your experience. Explain your situation. IME, they've been far more understanding than the folks answering the phones in admissions.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
10-12-2013, 03:58 PM
(10-12-2013 03:32 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:27 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Ok.....

Let's make up a number, a credit hour, and a subject.

200, 3, and English.

Ok so far?

If you need a #200 3 credit hour English class for the University's bachelor's degree, and
-the community college offers such a course, and
-it is cheaper than that offered by the University, then:

TAKE IT!!! Wink

I'd love to. But the problem is that they can not guarantee that the course requirements for the Uni program won't change between now and then. The issue is that even though I can look at a list of course requirements NOW, in two years, when I'm done with the associates, the degree requirements could have changed drastically.

I've actually taken almost all the requirements for an associates degree, years ago. Now, even if I just wanted to get an associates degree, from the same CC, I'd STILL have to retake almost all those courses. So, as it currently stands, I have to take a bunch of classes I've already passed because they changed some numbers. There's no way I'm going to pay to take those classes now and then have to take them for a third time two years down the road.

You pretty much answered your own question with this.

It sounds like all you can do is start taking some classes and hope you can jerry rig them into a degree at some point.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
10-12-2013, 03:59 PM
(10-12-2013 03:53 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I haven't figured out where I'd like to specialize in. I've thought about going into software development, but all my professional experience is in SysAdmin.

My extensive prior experience didn't matter a lick to them. Like I said, that was just 5 schools, but every single one of them had absolutely no way to test out of any of the computer courses, including their intro to computers course. It's beyond asinine.

That's... unfortunate.
Undecided

It doesn't work like that here, for all the good that does you. Tongue

10-12-2013, 04:02 PM
(10-12-2013 03:58 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:32 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I'd love to. But the problem is that they can not guarantee that the course requirements for the Uni program won't change between now and then. The issue is that even though I can look at a list of course requirements NOW, in two years, when I'm done with the associates, the degree requirements could have changed drastically.

I've actually taken almost all the requirements for an associates degree, years ago. Now, even if I just wanted to get an associates degree, from the same CC, I'd STILL have to retake almost all those courses. So, as it currently stands, I have to take a bunch of classes I've already passed because they changed some numbers. There's no way I'm going to pay to take those classes now and then have to take them for a third time two years down the road.

You pretty much answered your own question with this.

It sounds like all you can do is start taking some classes and hope you can jerry rig them into a degree at some point.

Well, what I'm trying to do, is simply take all the classes at one single institution. I need to enroll in a degree program to make sure I don't have to take the same classes over again. The issue still boils down to my original post. I can't afford it and I don't know how or where I can get more money.

10-12-2013, 04:02 PM
(10-12-2013 03:58 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  However - one thing someone recommended I try is to petition the school to give you credit for field experience. It won't work in my situation and I'm not sure who you would talk to or even how to go about asking, but you can try. Contract the head of the department and ask if they can test you above entry level courses or give you credit for your experience. Explain your situation. IME, they've been far more understanding than the folks answering the phones in admissions.

Yeah. Don't talk to admissions. Never talk to admissions.

Talk to department admin and secretaries if you want results.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post