Going back to college.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 04:03 PM
RE: Going back to college.
(10-12-2013 03:59 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:53 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I haven't figured out where I'd like to specialize in. I've thought about going into software development, but all my professional experience is in SysAdmin.

My extensive prior experience didn't matter a lick to them. Like I said, that was just 5 schools, but every single one of them had absolutely no way to test out of any of the computer courses, including their intro to computers course. It's beyond asinine.

That's... unfortunate.
Undecided

It doesn't work like that here, for all the good that does you. Tongue

Hmmm, my family does own property in Canada. It probably wouldn't be too hard to get dual citizenship...

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2013, 04:06 PM
(10-12-2013 03:58 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:42 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I wish. Unfortunately for me, programming is by far my weakest aspect of the job. I understand programming and have written some automation for the office, but other than VB, I haven't done any programming since the late 80s.

I'm not sure about all colleges, of course, but of the 5 that I've talked to very seriously every single one of them would make me take Intro to Computers. I literally have to take a class that teaches people where the power button is and what a mouse does.

Yup... this fries me too. I'm a mortician. I've embalmed over 700 people. I was an EMT before that, and have taken multiple medical courses. I'm familiar with this crap. But I have to take Anatomy & physiology as prerequisites for my mortuary program, which is proving to be incredibly difficult as I can't even get on the wait list for these classes. It's threatening to delay my entry into the mortuary program, which could be detrimental as I have a time limit to complete that. I haven't found an answer yet.

However - one thing someone recommended I try is to petition the school to give you credit for field experience. It won't work in my situation and I'm not sure who you would talk to or even how to go about asking, but you can try. Contract the head of the department and ask if they can test you above entry level courses or give you credit for your experience. Explain your situation. IME, they've been far more understanding than the folks answering the phones in admissions.

I'll try that once I find a college to attend. Regardless, I still have the overwhelming issue of paying for it. Any thoughts there?

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-12-2013, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2013 04:46 PM by Ohio Sky.)
(10-12-2013 04:06 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 03:58 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  Yup... this fries me too. I'm a mortician. I've embalmed over 700 people. I was an EMT before that, and have taken multiple medical courses. I'm familiar with this crap. But I have to take Anatomy & physiology as prerequisites for my mortuary program, which is proving to be incredibly difficult as I can't even get on the wait list for these classes. It's threatening to delay my entry into the mortuary program, which could be detrimental as I have a time limit to complete that. I haven't found an answer yet.

However - one thing someone recommended I try is to petition the school to give you credit for field experience. It won't work in my situation and I'm not sure who you would talk to or even how to go about asking, but you can try. Contract the head of the department and ask if they can test you above entry level courses or give you credit for your experience. Explain your situation. IME, they've been far more understanding than the folks answering the phones in admissions.

I'll try that once I find a college to attend. Regardless, I still have the overwhelming issue of paying for it. Any thoughts there?

Edit: oops, that didn't work. Lemme try again. Tongue

Scholarships... I gave you all the pointers I had there. Loans and financial aid you've already explored. Selling kidneys?

I don't have much else for you. If I find any magic fix I'll be sure to let you know though. Undecided

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha