Going old school.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Going old school.
What are your opinions of the state of video gaming today in the world of next-gen?

I'm getting pretty tired of what feels to me, like a status quo in the gaming industry. The PSNetwork and XBox Live are awesome innovations that really provide a lot of fun when you get to play with people all over the world as well as gaming with your friends, but I think personally, I'm just getting a little tired of the running around and shooting. In the recent year, I've actually decided to scour eBay for older games and play more classics than I do my 360. I'm having so much more fun at the moment playing my old N64 with titles like Zelda: OoT, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Gauntlet Legends, Starfox 64, Ogre Battle 64, and of course whooping my friends at Smash Bros. I love these Nintendo titles and what's really preventing me from getting into systems like the Wii and Wii U, is that they just try to do too much and make innovations for the sake of innovation. I don't know about you guys, but when I'm really into my games, I'd rather much hold my controller and smash buttons rather than waving a remote control around. Now with the Wii U, they've implemented a touch screen on the controllers, which sounds like it'll cost an arm and a leg to buy four for when you have friends over.

Sure the games look phenomenal, but is it worth pumping out glitchy, underwhemling titles? I think Portal, Batman Arkham Asylum, and Skyrim may be the only real non-FPS (arrows and lightning bolts don't count) next-gen game that holds a candle to the games I grew up playing, like all the N64 games I mentioned before, as well as Final Fantasy 7 which is hands down my favorite game of all time. It really sucks that the Final Fantasy games Squaresoft/Enix/Square Enix have put out on PS3 and 360 have been decent, but certainly not to the degree of a FF7, FF2, FF3, and Chrono Trigger. I think rather than going next-gen when the Wii U, Xbox 720, and Playstation 4 come out, I'm going pre-gen. I'm currently almost done building my completed N64 library, I have most of the good NES titles, and will eventually start building an SNES collection in a few months, which sadly may take a long time since the SNES had so many awesome games which now run anywhere from $20-$80 bucks on eBay.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Goddammit's post
02-07-2012, 12:09 AM
RE: Going old school.
I challenge you to go Older School and hook yourself up some Atari!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
02-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Awww, I thought this was going to be about old school games like Super Mario, Tetris, Lemmings, SIM City, Street Fighter II, Galaga, TMNT and Mortal Kombat. Those were some quality games. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
02-07-2012, 02:44 AM
(02-07-2012 12:09 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I challenge you to go Older School and hook yourself up some Atari!
Atari turned 40 years old the other day.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
(02-07-2012 02:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Atari turned 40 years old the other day.
Aww.. Stop making me feel old Sad I miss my Pitfall, River Raid and good old Atari Frogger
[+] 1 user Likes amusedmonkey's post
02-07-2012, 01:48 PM
We tried to play an Atari 2600 the other day, my god that console was archaic haha
02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
(02-07-2012 01:27 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Awww, I thought this was going to be about old school games like Super Mario, Tetris, Lemmings, SIM City, Street Fighter II, Galaga, TMNT and Mortal Kombat. Those were some quality games. Smile

My friends and I must have spent about 20 dollars a visit in quarters just playing the SF2, Mortal Kombat, and TMNT The Arcade Game cabinets at our local arcade. Those were some awesome games.
[+] 1 user Likes Goddammit's post
02-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I have an original Atari and about 40 games for it. Also have the super old pong. Has it's own monitor, controls are hard mounted, the whole shebang. Works great too! Lol

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
02-07-2012, 09:06 PM
(02-07-2012 04:13 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I have an original Atari and about 40 games for it. Also have the super old pong. Has it's own monitor, controls are hard mounted, the whole shebang. Works great too! Lol
Pong?
That is like one of the first games ever.
Now THAT is some old school shit right there.

That must be worth a bit of money.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
02-07-2012, 09:10 PM
A guy offered me two grand for it, and that was what he opened with. Bet I could have gotten him to three. Damn near shit myself! I just thought it was kinda neat to keep it. One of these days I should look into what it's really worth.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]