Going on my student exchange to Germany tomorrow.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2012, 04:28 PM
So yeah.

Basically what happens is, me and some other students from my year in school go to Germany for a week. We each have an exchange partner, and we each stay with their family for the whole week. We spend a few days going to their school, but for the most part we go to different places around Germany seeing the sights and doing different things and what not. Then some time in March, our partner comes over here and does the same thing.

At first I thought it was a great idea, but now I'm regretting it a bit. I didn't really think it through. First of all I haven't a word of german, AT ALL. My teacher in school is so bad that even after studying the subject for 3 years, I still don't know how to say 'how are you?' The main thing though is that I feel really awkward having to stay with a complete stranger and his family in a different country for a whole week. I also only really wanted to go over there, not for anyone to come over to my home. Too bad though everything has been organised and paid so I'm stuck.

Have any of you guys done this before? -Adults can post if they want to-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2012, 04:30 PM
RE: Going on my student exchange to Germany tomorrow.
(30-11-2012 04:28 PM)Magoo Wrote:  So yeah.

Basically what happens is, me and some other students from my year in school go to Germany for a week. We each have an exchange partner, and we each stay with their family for the whole week. We spend a few days going to their school, but for the most part we go to different places around Germany seeing the sights and doing different things and what not. Then some time in March, our partner comes over here and does the same thing.

At first I thought it was a great idea, but now I'm regretting it a bit. I didn't really think it through. First of all I haven't a word of german, AT ALL. My teacher in school is so bad that even after studying the subject for 3 years, I still don't know how to say 'how are you?' The main thing though is that I feel really awkward having to stay with a complete stranger and his family in a different country for a whole week. I also only really wanted to go over there, not for anyone to come over to my home. Too bad though everything has been organised and paid so I'm stuck.

Have any of you guys done this before? -Adults can post if they want to-
Nope, al though, I am familiar with student exchange. I am a guide for some Chinese exchange students in my school.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
30-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Maybe you'll meet some friendly fräuleins!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
30-11-2012, 04:46 PM
(30-11-2012 04:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Maybe you'll meet some friendly fräuleins!

Gonna have to google that word Undecided
30-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Everyone speaks english there. You'll have a ball. Is this your first trip abroad? I think it's a great idea, by the time I was a teen I had travelled quite a bit and always loved it. It's really interesting to see how other people live, how it's so different and yet all the same.

If the title hadn't said Germany I wouldn't have dropped in, and then I saw your invite to post...

I was born and raised in Germany, so if you want to ask me stuff, send private messages. I tend to skip this section...

Don't feel bad about having had issues learning German in school, US schools are the very worst in all the world at teaching languages. I know, I used to teach it until I started tearing my hair out. Just awful materials.

You can learn a lot real quick from those little travel picture books that teach it (there are a bunch,) or from audio stuff. They are actually better than real classes in this country. Maybe take something to do on the plane, you'll be surprised how easy it can be.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-12-2012, 03:44 PM
(30-11-2012 06:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  Everyone speaks english there. You'll have a ball. Is this your first trip abroad? I think it's a great idea, by the time I was a teen I had travelled quite a bit and always loved it. It's really interesting to see how other people live, how it's so different and yet all the same.

If the title hadn't said Germany I wouldn't have dropped in, and then I saw your invite to post...

I was born and raised in Germany, so if you want to ask me stuff, send private messages. I tend to skip this section...

Don't feel bad about having had issues learning German in school, US schools are the very worst in all the world at teaching languages. I know, I used to teach it until I started tearing my hair out. Just awful materials.

You can learn a lot real quick from those little travel picture books that teach it (there are a bunch,) or from audio stuff. They are actually better than real classes in this country. Maybe take something to do on the plane, you'll be surprised how easy it can be.

This is my first trip abroad without my family and my first time in Germany. I'm currently in Germany right now, it's really snowy here Smile The problem is they expect me to speak Getman but I am very bad at it. I studied German for 3 years and I am still at the very basic level. What a great education system we have in Ireland Undecided
03-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Just answer every question with a shrug of the shoulders and say, "Fahrvergnugen."

How are the frauleins?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
03-12-2012, 03:58 PM
I think you'll get around fine using English. That has been my experience in Germany. My grades for German were excellent, but we never really learned to speak it well, as in your case. Just relax! Don't mention the war, though. *badum tish*
03-12-2012, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 04:11 PM by Vosur.)
Where are you exactly? Any chance you're in Hesse, near the city Kassel? Consider

(03-12-2012 03:58 PM)Tetrarch Wrote:  I think you'll get around fine using English. That has been my experience in Germany. My grades for German were excellent, but we never really learned to speak it well, as in your case. Just relax! Don't mention the war, though. *badum tish*
Haha, I love that sketch.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
03-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Are you an "alterboy", or an "altarboy".
How were you "altered" ? Maybe the frauleins will "alter" you a little.
Maybe they will toast you with a round of "LOL Magoo". Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.