Going out on a limb

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Going out on a limb
Testing my posting ability here and introducing self.

I grew up Jewish then became a Christian at 20. I was disowned by my parents. That was one of the worst times of my life. 35 years later, after being a fully immersed Christian for all those years, for the past two years I just can't believe all this any more. I haven't been to church for two years. Allllll my friends are Christian so it's been difficult. I've told a few of my friends and have had mostly positive reactions but I also know who not to tell. Anyway, realize I'm facing being disowned again or shunned once again. However, I'd rather be true to myself than live a fake life.

So, I live in the Bible Belt and my professional license is not reciprocal in other states as I've thought I'd have to move in order to get away from the indoctrination. I'm wanting to come out more fully but am afraid my profession will take a hit as I'm self employed and will feel like a leper living in the community with everyone knowing and my business may suffer.

So thankful for this website and podcasts. Glad there are others out there who are totally sick of all the Christianity talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Ellieee55's post
10-04-2017, 08:31 AM
RE: Going out on a limb
Welcome!
10-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Welcome. Lots of people here are in the same boat... pull up a chair and chime right in!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Hello. Nice to meet you!

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
10-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
10-04-2017, 11:16 AM
The bible belt can blow.
10-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Welcome!
10-04-2017, 11:35 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Welcome! I hope this can at least be a place where you feel safe.

I can identify, at least a little bit, with the kind of fear you describe and what a burden it is. I hope you find your way to a home.

Are there other areas of the state where you could be more accepted than your current town?
10-04-2017, 02:46 PM
I'll go out on a lamb and say "baa."

I used to live in North Carolina, a proud member of the Bible Belt.

I had to move back to Pennsylvania.

Why?

Because the way Christians in the Bible Belt show their love for the sick and disabled is to ... refuse to expand Medicaid coverage for those with no income.

"I don't give a damn what Jesus says about the poor and needy, fuck 'em, they ain't gettin' my tax dollars. I'd rather congress spend all my money on bombs and missiles to kill people in foreign lands, not on programs to help and heal people right here at home. What kind of follower of Jesus would I be if I wasn't supporting things like unlimited gun ownership, a bloated military, perpetual war, the military-industrial complex, nuclear weapon proliferation (as long as we're the ones proliferating them), a Christian crusade against Islam, and Donald Trump?

Medicaid expansion --- harumph! That's for those pinko-commie Euro-trash countries and we 'Mericans aren't like them, no way. We like having a health care system that closely resembles Auschwitz! Yeehaw! The South will rise again!"

Oh yeah ... and welcome home. Smile

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
[+] 2 users Like Shirina's post