Going to Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Going to Church
Even I'm out as an Atheist to my family, I still have to go to church. I expected it so I normally don't mind that much, but there are still some things said that really bother me. For example a while ago in a sermon the preacher said something to the effect of "even if someone seems to be a good person without god, know that they are horrible sinners deep down" Honestly the thought of how guilty my parents must've felt frustrated me the most, but I knew there wasn't anything I could say to them about it since they 100% believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

Anyone else in a similar situation want to vent about particularly annoying sermons?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dustyrose's post
13-10-2016, 12:08 PM
RE: Going to Church
I went to one church as a Christian, where the men were instructed (by the pastor) to sit on one side and the women on the other. Soooo misogynistic.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
13-10-2016, 12:10 PM
(13-10-2016 12:04 PM)dustyrose Wrote:  Even I'm out as an Atheist to my family, I still have to go to church. I expected it so I normally don't mind that much, but there are still some things said that really bother me. For example a while ago in a sermon the preacher said something to the effect of "even if someone seems to be a good person without god, know that they are horrible sinners deep down" Honestly the thought of how guilty my parents must've felt frustrated me the most, but I knew there wasn't anything I could say to them about it since they 100% believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

Anyone else in a similar situation want to vent about particularly annoying sermons?
That's not cool. I hope you can find a happy place in your mind, and still look like you are paying attention.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
13-10-2016, 12:14 PM
(13-10-2016 12:08 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I went to one church as a Christian, where the men were instructed (by the pastor) to sit on one side and the women on the other. Soooo misogynistic.

Wow that's insane! I've been to a lot of churches but none THAT misogynistic.
[+] 1 user Likes dustyrose's post
13-10-2016, 12:16 PM
(13-10-2016 12:10 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 12:04 PM)dustyrose Wrote:  Even I'm out as an Atheist to my family, I still have to go to church. I expected it so I normally don't mind that much, but there are still some things said that really bother me. For example a while ago in a sermon the preacher said something to the effect of "even if someone seems to be a good person without god, know that they are horrible sinners deep down" Honestly the thought of how guilty my parents must've felt frustrated me the most, but I knew there wasn't anything I could say to them about it since they 100% believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

That's not cool. I hope you can find a happy place in your mind, and still look like you are paying attention.

Yea I've been working on that recently. Well the whole looking like I'm paying attention part at least. I'm pretty good at zoning out
13-10-2016, 12:18 PM

I remember feeling quite angry when the preacher said once something to the effect of that you can be friends with unbelievers but don't be close friends. The only reason to be friends with an unbeliever is so that you can draw them to Christ. If they can't be drawn then you should abandon any close friendship, though you can still be cordial when you see them. I was (I felt at the time) close friends with a lot of Christians - I'd only recently decided religion was bullshit. So it kinda hurt.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post