Going to Youth Group *a question*

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Going to Youth Group *a question*
So this may or may not be a stupid question :/

I have this Christian friend named Sam. She knows that I don't believe in God, but she brings me to her Youth Group every week. She is one of my best friends, but she can be a little demanding sometimes (like how she broke up with her boyfriend because he wouldn't go to church with her).

The Youth Group is actually kinda fun and we don't talk about God all that much...until the end of the night. After playing games and just chilling we have these HUGE (and I mean 1/2-1 hour long) discussions about a topic on religion and this is where my problems start. Of course nobody there knows that I'm an Atheist (except for Sam) and its really unnerving to listen to them bash my beliefs, and they always ask my opinion and I have to scramble to come up with something. So I'm kinda torn on whether I like going or not, because everyone there is hilarious and fun to hang out with, but its hard to relate with them. So should I tell her I can't keep going, because I'm afraid that if I do tell her she'll stop being my friend :/

Thank you, all comments will be appreciated :)
Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2011, 07:00 PM
RE: Going to Youth Group *a question*
I became an atheist when I was 16. I attended youth group at church until I was 20. It was a lot of fun hanging out and playing games with friends. We spent more time quoting Monty Python movies than quoting the bible. There are things that transcend the validity of religion: family, friends, and entertainment (movies, music, etc).

I'll put aside the nonsense of the supernatural if it means I can have good times with my friends, or attend family gatherings without drama, or listen to bands such as As I Lay Dying, Bride, Red, or Demon Hunter.

And speaking out isn't going to do anything except alienate yourself from the rest of the group.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2011, 07:10 PM

(19-02-2011 07:00 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I became an atheist when I was 16. I attended youth group at church until I was 20. It was a lot of fun hanging out and playing games with friends. We spent more time quoting Monty Python movies than quoting the bible. There are things that transcend the validity of religion: family, friends, and entertainment (movies, music, etc).

I'll put aside the nonsense of the supernatural if it means I can have good times with my friends, or attend family gatherings without drama, or listen to bands such as As I Lay Dying, Bride, Red, or Demon Hunter.

And speaking out isn't going to do anything except alienate yourself from the rest of the group.

Thank you Smile
19-02-2011, 09:13 PM
I was in a Catholic Youth Group during my "agnostic" stage. (Actually I was an atheist the whole time, but I didn't know the atheist/agnostic distinction.) Anytime religion came up, I challenged every point. Which is actually kind of easy when you're Catholic. Your mileage may vary.

My point is, you have the right to your opinion, and Christians who are strong in their faith should not be resentful nor frightened by that. If they are, you can always point out that if they ar angry with you for not agreeing, maybe it's because they don't really believe as strongly as they think they do. If they did, you'd represent no threat.
19-02-2011, 09:37 PM
(19-02-2011 09:13 PM)gamutman Wrote:  My point is, you have the right to your opinion, and Christians who are strong in their faith should not be resentful nor frightened by that. If they are, you can always point out that if they ar angry with you for not agreeing, maybe it's because they don't really believe as strongly as they think they do. If they did, you'd represent no threat.

It would be kind of strange to be the resident atheist for your church. But I would hate it if every time they brought up an argument, you had to step in and be the lone atheist spokesperson. If you didn't know the proper response, you might feel like you're not representing the atheist community accurately, and consequently, feel less inclined to attend church, losing out on all the jovial comradery in the process.

It's up to you really as to whether or not you want to speak out. If you're well versed in the atheist counterarguments, I would recommend it. Just to see how christians would react to their sanctuary being breached by the enemy. Maybe you can enlighten them to the non-devil worshiping ways of the modern atheist.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
19-02-2011, 11:26 PM
(19-02-2011 09:37 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(19-02-2011 09:13 PM)gamutman Wrote:  My point is, you have the right to your opinion, and Christians who are strong in their faith should not be resentful nor frightened by that. If they are, you can always point out that if they ar angry with you for not agreeing, maybe it's because they don't really believe as strongly as they think they do. If they did, you'd represent no threat.

It would be kind of strange to be the resident atheist for your church. But I would hate it if every time they brought up an argument, you had to step in and be the lone atheist spokesperson. If you didn't know the proper response, you might feel like you're not representing the atheist community accurately, and consequently, feel less inclined to attend church, losing out on all the jovial comradery in the process.

It's up to you really as to whether or not you want to speak out. If you're well versed in the atheist counterarguments, I would recommend it. Just to see how christians would react to their sanctuary being breached by the enemy. Maybe you can enlighten them to the non-devil worshiping ways of the modern atheist.
Devil worship is out now? Crap, there go my saturday nights.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
20-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Brianna. The only stupid question is the one you DON"T ask. If you don't ask a question you don't get an answer and you don't learn what you want to learn. Ask away.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
20-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Brianna, is it clear to you why you are an atheist? Could you explain that, when asked to?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
20-02-2011, 02:33 PM

That sounds terrible t_t

I was encouraged to go to youth groups when I was a senior in high school. If it were up to me I would tell your friend that, "If I wanted to go hear nails on a chalkboard I'd watch Fox News." Or, "I have better ways to waste my time."

Or my personal favorite:

"I don't want to listen to your religious fanatic friends express their ignorance about science and even their own religion and bible, not to mention the spreading of intolerance and hate that causes people like me to be ostracized. I don't want to find my way. I am not a lost sheep. I am a thinking, rational sheep, and I refuse to follow some silly indoctrination. Why are you a Christian? Why are you personally a Christian?"
20-02-2011, 02:47 PM
(20-02-2011 02:33 PM)Sacrieur Wrote:  That sounds terrible t_t

I was encouraged to go to youth groups when I was a senior in high school. If it were up to me I would tell your friend that, "If I wanted to go hear nails on a chalkboard I'd watch Fox News." Or, "I have better ways to waste my time."

Or my personal favorite:

"I don't want to listen to your religious fanatic friends express their ignorance about science and even their own religion and bible, not to mention the spreading of intolerance and hate that causes people like me to be ostracized. I don't want to find my way. I am not a lost sheep. I am a thinking, rational sheep, and I refuse to follow some silly indoctrination. Why are you a Christian? Why are you personally a Christian?"

Well wouldn't she then come off like an uppity dick? She might as well be sipping a latte wearing a scarf and beret, talking about how the coffee is sooooo much better in Seattle. Somehow I doubt that accepting a friend's invite... then being an arrogant, condescending douche is the best way to make friends or represent atheists.