Going to Youth Group *a question*

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2011, 03:04 PM

RE: Going to Youth Group *a question*
(20-02-2011 02:47 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(20-02-2011 02:33 PM)Sacrieur Wrote:  That sounds terrible t_t

I was encouraged to go to youth groups when I was a senior in high school. If it were up to me I would tell your friend that, "If I wanted to go hear nails on a chalkboard I'd watch Fox News." Or, "I have better ways to waste my time."

Or my personal favorite:

"I don't want to listen to your religious fanatic friends express their ignorance about science and even their own religion and bible, not to mention the spreading of intolerance and hate that causes people like me to be ostracized. I don't want to find my way. I am not a lost sheep. I am a thinking, rational sheep, and I refuse to follow some silly indoctrination. Why are you a Christian? Why are you personally a Christian?"

Well wouldn't she then come off like an uppity dick? She might as well be sipping a latte wearing a scarf and beret, talking about how the coffee is sooooo much better in Seattle. Somehow I doubt that accepting a friend's invite... then being an arrogant, condescending douche is the best way to make friends or represent atheists.

I blame Christopher Hitchens for influencing me >_>. Nah I kid, I've always been direct and upfront with people who are really pushing me because I grew up in a town that was 99.9% Christian.

I'm actually very open to conversations with Christians regarding their religion and willing to ask them hard questions by starting off with, "I'm not trying to make you give up God, I'm asking you to answer this question." Usually you'll have a much more fulfilling experience if you allow them to even use the bible to answer the questions. Typically Christians will bring up false justifications, and it is easy to call them out on it and ask, "where are you getting that from?"

Perhaps sitting down and having a discussion about it over coffee would be a good idea?
Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2011, 03:17 PM

(20-02-2011 01:30 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Brianna, is it clear to you why you are an atheist? Could you explain that, when asked to?

I don't really have a reason on why I became an Atheist. I just wasn't all that exposed to religion as a child. My dad was Catholic but we just said grace at dinner and at bedtime, we never went to church or Sunday school, read the Bible or said prayers. One day I came across a 'Thinking Atheist' video and it just made a lot of sense. And since I had heard about a lot of the problems religion had caused I just... I don't know... started to see how science could disprove all of the things I had been told :/
Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Then for now why don't you just enjoy your life and sometimes think about what you feel, as long as people don't say anything that you are horribly offended by being social is perfectly fine. If you are just coming into your own worldview then you have no reason to force it on others. I as a kid accidentally went to youth groups occasionally, and while my decisions were very clear to me I just let things happen and then didn't return. It's like going to summer camp, people have differing opinions, but when you're around them you can act civil. If you enjoy youth groups for the activities have fun and remember to keep yourself thinking during the sermon parts. Just remember that as you gain a stronger stance in your worldviews most of the friends you meet in these groups won't really want to discuss them.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Quote:I blame Christopher Hitchens for influencing me >_>. Nah I kid, I've always been direct and upfront with people who are really pushing me because I grew up in a town that was 99.9% Christian.
There's nothing wrong with being upfront, but in the youth group you're sort of ''in their territory''. Talking in a way that they'll take as an offensive and arrogant way would be like a christian coming to this board, ''our territory'', to tell us how insane and deluded we are.

By acting very politely, the best thing that could happen is that they'll accept you and you can still spend time with them. I went to the ''youth's evening'' in my town a few times, 'cause there was a ping-pong table and everything. Everybody knew I was a dirty heathen, but so were at least 1/4 of the people there and nobody cared. But according to what I've heard here, religion is very different in North America, so that happening might be unlikely.

I wish you luck, although I don't know if I even believe in luck.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
20-02-2011, 04:14 PM
(20-02-2011 03:17 PM)Brianna1998 Wrote:  
(20-02-2011 01:30 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Brianna, is it clear to you why you are an atheist? Could you explain that, when asked to?
I don't really have a reason on why I became an Atheist. I just wasn't all that exposed to religion as a child. My dad was Catholic but we just said grace at dinner and at bedtime, we never went to church or Sunday school, read the Bible or said prayers. One day I came across a 'Thinking Atheist' video and it just made a lot of sense. And since I had heard about a lot of the problems religion had caused I just... I don't know... started to see how science could disprove all of the things I had been told :/
What I would do is not to leave the youth group. You will learn other skills there. As for your atheism, what you could do is just listen to what they tell you and nod and ask questions. When you return you can think about what they’ve told you and try and debunk it at your own time. In that way you know what to say when it really comes to a discussion. Rest assure that everything already is said and thought about beforehand. I didn’t heard a new "argument" in years.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
21-02-2011, 09:27 AM
It sounds to me as if your best move would be to stay in the youth group, but maybe take a break every now and then. You don't have to go every week. Personally, I attended actual church services a few times (at the request of family members) since becoming an atheist. The more knowledgeable I became the less irritated and angry I got at sermons, and the more I chuckled inside my head at the silly arguments and "facts" being provided.

But that doesn't mean it still didn't push my buttons to hear a bunch of biased, ignorant, superstitious nonsense being spoken, and to look around and watch a bunch of heads nodding in agreement. I had to take breaks.

It also sounds from your current situation that you would be seen as someone who "needs to hear the gospel" since you apparently weren't exposed to it enough. It might do you good to get exposed to it from the inside as you are now. However, if it strikes you, don't be afraid to ask a doubtful question. Questions work better than rebuttals and outright challenges.

Ultimately you should only do what you feel comfortable with. If your friend would decide to not be your friend because you either didn't want to go to youth group or didn't want to go all the time, I'm not sure how much of a friend that person is. Just my opinion.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.