Going to a christening

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Going to a christening
I'm going to a christening next week. I plan on not addressing the issue but I have family members who will likely ask why we haven't baptized our kids. Anyone know any tidbits about this ridiculous procedure ?
I like what hitchens said about collective guilt. I'm simply going to tell family members that we are atheists but I'd like a quick statement I can use. Telling them its not their business won't suffice. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2013, 08:18 PM
RE: Going to a christening
Okay, so I answered your other question, but I got nothing on this one. I'll likely be facing the same situation after a bit, so I'd also love to hear the responses. Good luck to ya!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-06-2013, 08:20 PM
(04-06-2013 08:02 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  I'm going to a christening next week. I plan on not addressing the issue but I have family members who will likely ask why we haven't baptized our kids. Anyone know any tidbits about this ridiculous procedure ?
I like what hitchens said about collective guilt. I'm simply going to tell family members that we are atheists but I'd like a quick statement I can use. Telling them its not their business won't suffice. Thanks

Tell them that you are respecting their wishes by being present at this ritual. Ask them to be similarly respectful of your family's wishes, by accepting that you wish to leave these rituals out of your life.

If they say they think you are falling away from the family, advise them it's because you feel them pushing you away.

They have their beliefs and you have your non-beliefs - it's as simple as that. Let them know you are glad to be with them and respect them fully. As well, let them know it's up to them whether they can respect you.

Maybe show your appreciation and be the family photographer. Participation will show your sincerity that you don't want this to become a family rift.

Good luck and have fun with it, if possible. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 6 users Like kim's post
04-06-2013, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 09:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-06-2013 08:02 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  I'm going to a christening next week. I plan on not addressing the issue but I have family members who will likely ask why we haven't baptized our kids. Anyone know any tidbits about this ridiculous procedure ?

I find just smiling bemusedly without responding works without fail.

I don't think it's a big deal. Girly attended Catholic infant baptisms of all 4 offspring. Church knew I was an atheist before we even got married. Can't say I participated much, but can't say there was much role for anyone to participate. Stand there and watch the witch, errr ... I mean priest, recite his incantations. Enjoy the pomp and circumstance of the ritual and just ignore any bullshit metaphysics. And by ignore, I mean don't even admit, felt like going to an opera or ballet to me. (Albeit a not very good one.) Like I said, don't think it's a big deal, don't see no cause to make it one.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-06-2013, 08:09 AM
I find these 2 statements cover most circumstances.

"because I didn't want to" and "I don't feel comfortable discussing this topic with you, excuse me" then walk away and join someone else's conversation or restroom.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller