Going to church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2014, 09:30 AM
RE: Going to church
(22-04-2014 09:14 PM)worldatheist2 Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 06:01 PM)Fruzsi93 Wrote:  I come from a fairly religious Catholic family. My parents divorced, so it's me, my mom and her parents living in a house. My grandfather (who I really love) is incredibly religious, he was raised in a likewise family. My grandmother in my opinion just followed along and is a pretty strong believer by now as well, but much more understanding. My mom doesn't attend church regularly, however lately she became much more regular about it.

Ever since I was a little girl,I was forced into church and praying at home. To be honest I never truly believed,when I was smaller I was happy and treated it as a phantasy world, but ask grew up I became more aware, and stopped liking the church and supporting their horrible views (gays, women, slavery etc..)

Today I am 21 years old, living away for university and I just came out to my grandfather because he asked me why I don't pray anymore. One thing followed another and now my whole family knows. I think they were expecting this as I tried attending church less and less. My mom always made me feel terrible saying "you could really go to church for your grandfather it makes him so happy".

Truth is, I am sick of church. Literally. I get nauseous even just thinking about it. I hate what they do, all the money they make, all their views they support, all that brainwashing. I hate it.

My question is as Easter is coming up, I bet the whole family will attend that 'glorious' event when they all walk around the church, and they will tell me the same thing "you should make you grandfather feel good once a year, come to chuch". Does any of you have a good comeback for this emotional manipulation? I really don't even want to go near a church anymore but I can't take feeling so bad about myself anymore either... Please help me! Thank you so much in advance!

I am 17 and I became atheist last year. I am also fed up with the Catholic Church and their idiotic views, like what you named. My parents signed me up for confirmation and my whole family is coming to see me get confirmed next month, and I haven't told them I don't believe their delusion because I am scared and I don't want them mad at me. However, when i go to college and am in a situation like yours, I will want them to know I am atheist. That palm sunday mass a few weeks back seemed downright barbaric. Here are some comebacks:

I respect my grandfather, but I cannot respect the delusion.
People need to realize that atheists exist and have feelings and beliefs just as valid as everybody else.
The superficial action of me going to church means nothing because I do not believe in what they teach.
How can you support a church that spends resources persecuting gays, holding back stem cell research, excludes women, and treats "faith" as a virtue?

My girls are just a bit younger than you. They have no interest in being confirmed and I am not going to let my wife the super catholic force them. We have had the discussion and she grudgingly agreed to my position.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2014, 11:53 AM
RE: Going to church
I dont go to church anymore but I do enjoy attending church with my family. something about sitting with my family in church feels great to me. I don't believe in any the shit they say but I enjoy being with family at church on holidays. Christmas and easter.

if you don't want to go, just say something like "does grandpa wonder what makes me happy? "

hope Easter went well for you Smile

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply