Going to meet GF's Pentacostal family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Going to meet GF's Pentacostal family
Okay so I've been with my current gf for 10 months now and I swear I'm in love with this woman.

Her family is Pentacostal and doesn't exactly approve of her dating an open atheist (they don't know she's left the faith to), but her mother is going to give me a chance to meet me.

So I'm going to be flying to Tennessee this New Years to spend a week with her family, her mother approved this on one condition.

She wants me to go through a Bible study session with a friend of the family's (who amusingly enough shares my first name, Cory)

So I just want to ask if there's any advice I could get on this?
I really love this woman and if this is what I have to do for her family to accept me then so be it.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2014, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 11:40 AM by Chas.)
RE: Going to meet GF's Pentacostal family
(06-10-2014 10:39 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  Okay so I've been with my current gf for 10 months now and I swear I'm in love with this woman.

Her family is Pentacostal and doesn't exactly approve of her dating an open atheist (they don't know she's left the faith to), but her mother is going to give me a chance to meet me.

So I'm going to be flying to Tennessee this New Years to spend a week with her family, her mother approved this on one condition.

She wants me to go through a Bible study session with a friend of the family's (who amusingly enough shares my first name, Cory)

So I just want to ask if there's any advice I could get on this?
I really love this woman and if this is what I have to do for her family to accept me then so be it.

I would reject the condition, but that's me. I don't like coercion or those who use it.

Further, if you accede to this demand, where will it end? There is no good outcome.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
06-10-2014, 11:47 AM
What happens after you have the Bible study and you're still an atheist? Will the mother then dissaprove of your relationship?

You might just be wasting everybody's time by going through with it.

On the other hand, the mother might just be concerned that you've never been exposed to Christianity and wants to give you a chance of having your soul saved. You need to find out which it is.
06-10-2014, 11:48 AM
On one hand you want to make a good impression but on the other, it's quite disrespectful for them to even ask you to attend a bible study. They are probably hoping you will "see the light" and believe in god again. I feel that if you give in, it may not stop there. Right off the bat, you need to assert yourself in a respectful way. OR tell her that if you go to the bible study that she must read a Richard Dawkins book or watch something explaining why the bible is bogus. It's the same type of situation. She will probably be offended by your suggestion and then simply state that that's how you feel by having a condition placed on meeting them. Christians aren't very fair people so you may have to just deal with their resentment.

Also, don't eat any babies while your there. That would definitely make a bad impression. ;-)
[+] 1 user Likes KimberHenry's post
06-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Quote:I really love this woman and if this is what I have to do for her family to accept me then so be it.

I think that is where your reasoning goes off the rails.

Remember what you are dealing with.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
06-10-2014, 12:23 PM
(06-10-2014 11:47 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  What happens after you have the Bible study and you're still an atheist? Will the mother then dissaprove of your relationship?

You might just be wasting everybody's time by going through with it.

On the other hand, the mother might just be concerned that you've never been exposed to Christianity and wants to give you a chance of having your soul saved. You need to find out which it is.
Her mother actually asked as much via text.
The way I see it this is as much of an opportunity for me as they think it is for them.

And my gf says that her mother is fair and will likely stay to her word.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
06-10-2014, 12:29 PM
If a relationship (the "success" of it) relies on compromising your values, it's the wrong relationship. And it won't end there.

Just my take. No dude is worth me compromising my core beliefs.

I hope you stay true to you. Having said that above, it's a tough spot.
Best of luck with it.

Be true to yourself. Heart
06-10-2014, 12:33 PM
I do not envy you. Stay away from the snakes.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
06-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Say no thank you. But you're going to have to say it in their babble.

Ach nee ddoodoo peetteee.

Laugh out load

Anyways, you don't have to be accepted by her family. You're not going to change for them, and that's likely what they expect you to do with their bible study. Don't waste their time or yours for the sake of trying to be accepted by the family.
06-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Dont go. Your relationship with your girlfriend is what matters. Not her family.

It says a lot about how they are going to react to you when she isnt willing to be honest with them.

If her parents are so "fair" why does SHE hide her atheism?
[+] 11 users Like Hobbitgirl's post