Going to meet GF's Pentacostal family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2014, 01:19 PM
RE: Going to meet GF's Pentacostal family
(06-10-2014 01:09 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 01:05 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  That's the only condition?

I'm surprised she didn't insist on separate bedrooms too... Consider
Oh yeah there's that to.
You know, afterthought.

In that case, I vote you skip the Bible study and stay in a hotel for the week.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
06-10-2014, 01:34 PM
(06-10-2014 10:39 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  Okay so I've been with my current gf for 10 months now and I swear I'm in love with this woman.

Her family is Pentacostal and doesn't exactly approve of her dating an open atheist (they don't know she's left the faith to), but her mother is going to give me a chance to meet me.

So I'm going to be flying to Tennessee this New Years to spend a week with her family, her mother approved this on one condition.

She wants me to go through a Bible study session with a friend of the family's (who amusingly enough shares my first name, Cory)

So I just want to ask if there's any advice I could get on this?
I really love this woman and if this is what I have to do for her family to accept me then so be it.

This is so arrogant and inconsiderate of them. I wouldn't go.

That being said, it sounds like you're willing to go through this for your GF.

Depending on how hyped up your bible study is things could get really dicey. If you want minimal aggrevation you'll probably have to bite your tongue.

I would try to keep the discussions in general on shallow and light subjects.

Good luck with this and hope it goes well for you two.Thumbsup

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
06-10-2014, 01:39 PM
(06-10-2014 10:39 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  Okay so I've been with my current gf for 10 months now and I swear I'm in love with this woman.

Her family is Pentacostal and doesn't exactly approve of her dating an open atheist (they don't know she's left the faith to), but her mother is going to give me a chance to meet me.

So I'm going to be flying to Tennessee this New Years to spend a week with her family, her mother approved this on one condition.

She wants me to go through a Bible study session with a friend of the family's (who amusingly enough shares my first name, Cory)

I really love this woman and if this is what I have to do for her family to accept me then so be it.

run

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
06-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Hmm, I'm in a semi similar situation. My gf's parents are 1 part catholic and 1 part Lutheran (I think). When I visit them they take us to church (also not allowed to stay in the same bedroom). Sadly it's the main reason I don't like visiting them. My gf is basically a deist who has more bad to say about religion than good. She is hiding the fact that she doesn't go to church or believe in their religion from her parents because she doesn't want them to be sad.

That being said, I can suck it up and go to church from time to time (like once or twice a year, even if the service usually makes me sick). But I would never participate in a Bible study or anything of that sort (things that approach you on a personal level that require any sort of interaction). That would be, unless I was interested in learning more about Christianity, which I was at one point. Now I'm not.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
07-10-2014, 07:23 AM
(06-10-2014 01:34 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  

This is so arrogant and inconsiderate of them. I wouldn't go.

That being said, it sounds like you're willing to go through this for your GF.

Depending on how hyped up your bible study is things could get really dicey. If you want minimal aggrevation you'll probably have to bite your tongue.

I would try to keep the discussions in general on shallow and light subjects.

Good luck with this and hope it goes well for you two.Thumbsup
Apparently the guy who will be conducting the session is a friend of the family who my gf personally vouches for, says he's very open-minded.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
07-10-2014, 07:34 AM

Don't go.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
07-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Yeah just so ya'll know I can't watch videos.
Firewall.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
07-10-2014, 06:42 PM
I'd go. Sounds like fun.

#sigh
07-10-2014, 07:04 PM
I'd pass on the bible study, just bring a few snakes to appease them.
08-10-2014, 06:00 AM
Just remember you don't marry the girl, you marry the family. You can't make her choose between you and her family, and if her family doesn't approve of you you're not going to be able to change either them or her. This is only going to get worse as the euphoria of new love wears off.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.